What's new

The Official "What Speakers or Subwoofer Should I Buy" Assistance Thread (1 Viewer)

eco0088

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Looking for front speakers, center and Subwoofer. Already have rear speakers, old Bose and don't know what model.

Primary Use: 30% Music, 70% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 5.1

Room Size: 16x32 ft

Is the room open to other areas of your home: No

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? I bought a Denon AVR-S720W.

What's your budget (low to high): $700 to $1000 for front speakers, center and subwoofer.

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Nope

Any ideas what to pair with my Denon receiver? Thanks

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Sub to replace Paradigm PDR-12

Primary Use: 10% Music, 90% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 7.1 (willing to do 7.2)

Room Size: 13x22

Is the room open to other areas of your home: No, dedicated HT

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes Onkyo NR717

What's your budget (low to high): $500-$1000

Rest of system:
Paradigm Monitor 7 L/R Fronts
Paradigm CC370 center
Paradigm ADP350 sides
Paradigm ADP350 rears

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Looking for front speakers, center and Subwoofer. Already have rear speakers, old Bose and don't know what model.
Primary Use: 30% Music, 70% TV & MoviesDesired Configuration: 5.1Room Size: 16x32 ft
Is the room open to other areas of your home: NoDo you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? I bought a Denon AVR-S720W.
What's your budget (low to high): $700 to $1000 for front speakers, center and subwoofer.Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Nope

Recap: Front three and subwoofer, $700-1000 and a pretty larger room. This might be a tough one as that large of a room is going to need some pretty efficient speakers. If you like horn tweeters you would be in good shape but I know a lot of folks don't like the sound. You're also going to need a very decent sub. I also don't know if you're looking to wall mount or just use stands.

Here are some examples of some systems.

1. Klipsch - Two RF-24f towers $180ea, R-25C $250 and an SVS SB12-NSD $400 Total:$1010 Very efficient speakers will not tax your AVR in that larger room. Make sure you like the horn sound before investing in Klipsch.
  2. BIC America - DV84 Towers $155 each, D62-3LCR $130, and an SVS PB-1000 $500 Total: $940 Dome based speakers that are fairly efficient. Went with the ported sub for increased output.
  3. Boston Acoustics - CS260 towers $160ea, CS225c $105, and a Rythmik LV12R $570 Total: $995 Good sounding speakers you could also go with an SVS is you wanted the price allowed for the Rythmik options.
If you wanted books or smaller speakers you could go with three centers for an LCR setup if you wanted. Feel free to ask questions.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Sub to replace Paradigm PDR-12 Primary Use: 10% Music, 90% TV & Movies Desired Configuration: 7.1 (willing to do 7.2) Room Size: 13x22
Is the room open to other areas of your home: No, dedicated HT
Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes Onkyo NR717 What's your budget (low to high): $500-$1000 Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Nope

Recap: Sub only for a HT $500-1000

For $1000 it's going to be hard to get duals unless you go with the entry level offerings. Here are some I would consider.
  1. Duals - SVS SB12-NSD $400ea Limited run on sale
  2. Duals - SVS PB-1000 $950 normal price
  3. Duals - RSL Speedwoofer 10s $400ea smaller sub but with your room size I think it would work with duals.
  4. Single - SVS PB2000 $800
  5. Single - Rythmik LVX12 $700 sale
  6. Single - HSU VTF-3 MK5 $830
  7. Single - PSA V1500 $1000 on sale

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
I had actually been looking at the HSU and the SVS duals. It looks like the HSU (and PSA) go deeper.

Stupid question: how would the duals be wired? Just a single RCA to each from AVR? I did not wire for duals when I built room but should be relatively simple to get add'l wiring to rear (?) sub.

And SVS has the trade in program right? May have to give those a whirl and seewhat happens.

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
Holy smokes. I just went back and looked up reviews and specs on the PDR12, I bought it 10 years ago and at the time thought it was relatively high end.

Looks like I am going to see a huge improvement regardless of which of the above I choose

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Duals will almost definitely have better in room frequency response after calibration, but may not match the output of the V1500 for example. SVS' trade up program may also be a way to improve what you can afford.

Dobson001

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron Dobsob
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Floor standing speakers and subwoofer

Primary Use: 50% Music, 50% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 2.1 now, 5.1 or 7.1 later

Room Size: Huge open great room, includes family room, dining room and kitchen all open with long entry hallway to the side

Is the room open to other areas of your home: Yes, see abovr

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes, Denon 2300

What's your budget (low to high): $1000-1500

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)?Nope

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Aaron,

I would recommend going with the most efficient speakers possible to maximize the sound quality in your great room. Since you already have an AVR, I would suggest the following as possible speaker options:

If you want to play loud and want efficient speakers:
Tekton Design Lore: http://www.tektondesign.com/lore.html - 98dB efficient, so they will play nice and loud with your receiver.

Less efficient: Fluance http://www.fluance.com/floorstandin...ree-way-floorstanding-speakers-natural-walnut or Emotiva Emotiva speakers: http://emotiva.com/products/speakers/airmotiv-t1 and SVS or Power Sound sub.

From SVS:
Two SVS Prime towers: https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-tower and a good sub: https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-1000
Total would be $1500

Another great option is ELAC's new Andrew Jones series:
2 x http://****/2fyukma ELAC Debut F6
and a larger sub: https://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/subwoofers/products/15s or https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-2000

To stay on the lower end of your budget, you could use two of these subs: http://www.parts-express.com/bic-formula-f-12-12-475-watt-subwoofer--303-436 and then pick whichever speakers for the rest of your budget (ELAC, Fluance, Tekton).

Dobson001

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron Dobsob
Aaron,

I would recommend going with the most efficient speakers possible to maximize the sound quality in your great room. Since you already have an AVR, I would suggest the following as possible speaker options:

If you want to play loud and want efficient speakers:
Tekton Design Lore: http://www.tektondesign.com/lore.html - 98dB efficient, so they will play nice and loud with your receiver.

Less efficient: Fluance http://www.fluance.com/floorstandin...ree-way-floorstanding-speakers-natural-walnut or Emotiva Emotiva speakers: http://emotiva.com/products/speakers/airmotiv-t1 and SVS or Power Sound sub.

From SVS:
Two SVS Prime towers: https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-tower and a good sub: https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-1000
Total would be $1500

Another great option is ELAC's new Andrew Jones series:
2 x http://****/2fyukma ELAC Debut F6
and a larger sub: https://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/subwoofers/products/15s or https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-2000

To stay on the lower end of your budget, you could use two of these subs: http://www.parts-express.com/bic-formula-f-12-12-475-watt-subwoofer--303-436 and then pick whichever speakers for the rest of your budget (ELAC, Fluance, Tekton).

Thanks for the reply. I have been doing on-line research and I had arrived very close to what you are suggesting. I thought I had it narrowed down to the following floor standers:
  1. Elac Uni-Fi
  2. SVS Prime
  3. Fluance Signature
  4. Kef Q500 (currently on sale)
  5. Q Acoustics 3050
Any opinion on the Kefs or Q Acoustics? You have added a couple more I'll be sure to look into in the Tekton and Emotiva.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Kef makes a great product, no question. I've heard the Q500 and they are a good performer, though I haven't pushed them very hard for cinematic use, so hard to comment on that one area.

I have not heard the Q Acoustics, but they are 92dB sensitive - so a good option. In terms of which will serve you best - it would help to better understand your listening goals.

Are you after ability to play clean and loud with your current amp/receiver, musicality/tonal purity, imaging, low end output?

If you are going to get a sub or two, there are also some fantastic bookshelf options.

Dobson001

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron Dobsob
Kef makes a great product, no question. I've heard the Q500 and they are a good performer, though I haven't pushed them very hard for cinematic use, so hard to comment on that one area.

I have not heard the Q Acoustics, but they are 92dB sensitive - so a good option. In terms of which will serve you best - it would help to better understand your listening goals.

Are you after ability to play clean and loud with your current amp/receiver, musicality/tonal purity, imaging, low end output?

If you are going to get a sub or two, there are also some fantastic bookshelf options.

I think I am most interested in the ability to play clean loud music with the current receiver. I am definitely more of a music buff than movies. I have a turn-table and collection of records, in addition to using streaming services. Because this is located in the central gathering area for the family, it will also frequently be used for tv/movies. I plan to add ceiling speakers for the rears at some future point (my wife does not want wires) because we ran speaker wire to the ceiling during the construction of the home. I am not totally opposed to bookshelf speakers, but due to the size of the area, I was really leaning towards towers, plus I have never had towers and have always really wanted them. I'm not sure if music style makes a difference, but I listen to everything from 50s Doo-Wop to Punk Rock.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I think you should definitely look into the Tekton's pretty seriously then, just in terms of output without tons of power and tonality - it may be possible to demo them if you reach out to them about finding a nearby owner. If you skip the sub, i'd go up one model to the Lore S: http://www.tektondesign.com/lore-s.html

If you are willing to stretch budget ever so slightly, you could also jump to a Salk speaker - which are truly fantastic, I like the SongTower: http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=SongTower

I always recommend using your own ears to decide, so take a CD you know well and go listen to the Kefs/Tektons locally at a dealer or home. It is the only way to really be sure.

ZachsHT

Auditioning
Real Name
Zachary
I recently bought my first reciever (Sony str-dn1070) I know enthusiastists seem to hate Sony but I've had nothing but good luck with all of my Sony devices. I'd say this is the middle of the road reciever for Sony. (It's what I could afford). Now I'm just trying to figure out what speakers would be best for my set up as I'd like to keep them all the same brand.

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)?
Speakers

Primary Use: 10% Music, 90% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 7.2

Room Size: 18x16

Is the room open to other areas of your home: Semi-wide walkway to dinning room

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes

What's your budget (low to high): $200-300 per speaker

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Speakers
Primary Use:
10% Music, 90% TV & Movies Desired Configuration: 7.2 Room Size: 18x16
Is the room open to other areas of your home: Semi-wide walkway to dinning room
Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes
What's your budget (low to high): $200-300 per speaker

Are you looking for towers at all the locations except for the center, books or wall mounted sats? Do you currently have a sub that you're using? If so what sub is it?

ZachsHT

Auditioning
Real Name
Zachary
Are you looking for towers at all the locations except for the center, books or wall mounted sats? Do you currently have a sub that you're using? If so what sub is it?

My options are pretty open to to bookshelf, towers or wall mounted as I just moved in and am building my living room around my home theater . I imagine having towers for my front L&R and either wall mounted or bookshelves for the back L&R. As for the sub I have an Polk audio psw108. I just want what sounds best for the reciever I own.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
My options are pretty open to to bookshelf, towers or wall mounted as I just moved in and am building my living room around my home theater . I imagine having towers for my front L&R and either wall mounted or bookshelves for the back L&R. As for the sub I have an Polk audio psw108. I just want what sounds best for the reciever I own.

OK so now to budget 7 x $300 = $2100 for speakers. You can use your sub but normally Polk subs aren't great performers. That being said if you're happy with it then great all the more budget you can put into speakers. Lastly you don't match your speakers to the receiver you get the speakers that you like the sound of and the AVR is just simply there to run them. Yes the AVR is the center of the system but it it will change over time. Good speakers will last a for decades. Your focus on the receiver is misplaced it should really be on the speakers.

Ok now my recommendation is what I would do. Everyone has their own opinion and tastes in what they like in a speaker.

I would go with a KEF Q series because they are still on sale and you'll really be getting good speakers for the money.
Fronts - KEF Q500 $350 ea
Center - KEF Q200 $400
Surrounds - KEF Q100 $300 pr
Rears- KEF Q100 $300
TOTAL: $1700 well below your budget of $2100
*With the leftover money I would look at upgrading the subwoofer to an SVS SB12-NSD currently on limited run/sale for $400. This would bring your total to right at your budget minus wires, cables ect. However, it should be one heck of a system.

eco0088

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
Recap: Front three and subwoofer, $700-1000 and a pretty larger room. This might be a tough one as that large of a room is going to need some pretty efficient speakers. If you like horn tweeters you would be in good shape but I know a lot of folks don't like the sound. You're also going to need a very decent sub. I also don't know if you're looking to wall mount or just use stands.

Here are some examples of some systems.

1. Klipsch - Two RF-24f towers $180ea, R-25C $250 and an SVS SB12-NSD $400 Total:$1010 Very efficient speakers will not tax your AVR in that larger room. Make sure you like the horn sound before investing in Klipsch.
  2. BIC America - DV84 Towers $155 each, D62-3LCR $130, and an SVS PB-1000 $500 Total: $940 Dome based speakers that are fairly efficient. Went with the ported sub for increased output.
  3. Boston Acoustics - CS260 towers $160ea, CS225c $105, and a Rythmik LV12R $570 Total: $995 Good sounding speakers you could also go with an SVS is you wanted the price allowed for the Rythmik options.
If you wanted books or smaller speakers you could go with three centers for an LCR setup if you wanted. Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks. My basement is big but I only sit 9-10 ft from TV/speakers. I can stretch my budget but I don't want to buy Subs now because I have toddlers running around. I may get bookshelf speakers and put them a shelf/console for that reason too. I heard good things about Elac B6. I am planning to get a pair of them with center speaker. I will add Sub in the future maybe two of them. Will B6 be good? Also, three you mean 3 center speakers with LR front? how to connect 3 centers to AVR.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Thanks. My basement is big but I only sit 9-10 ft from TV/speakers. I can stretch my budget but I don't want to buy Subs now because I have toddlers running around. I may get bookshelf speakers and put them a shelf/console for that reason too. I heard good things about Elac B6. I am planning to get a pair of them with center speaker. I will add Sub in the future maybe two of them. Will B6 be good? Also, three you mean 3 center speakers with LR front? how to connect 3 centers to AVR.

You seem pretty sold on the B6 so will it matter what I think? In the end this is your system so you do what makes you happy.

Yes I did mean three "center" speakers to make an LCR setup. That where you use the same speaker all the way across the front. You connect a "center" speaker just like any other speaker with some speaker wire. There's nothing magical about a center speaker it's just a speaker with an extra mid-bass driver. You normally get a slight bump in efficiency due to the extra driver and the benefit of the same speaker all the way across the front.

ZachsHT

Auditioning
Real Name
Zachary
OK so now to budget 7 x $300 = $2100 for speakers. You can use your sub but normally Polk subs aren't great performers. That being said if you're happy with it then great all the more budget you can put into speakers. Lastly you don't match your speakers to the receiver you get the speakers that you like the sound of and the AVR is just simply there to run them. Yes the AVR is the center of the system but it it will change over time. Good speakers will last a for decades. Your focus on the receiver is misplaced it should really be on the speakers.

Ok now my recommendation is what I would do. Everyone has their own opinion and tastes in what they like in a speaker.

I would go with a KEF Q series because they are still on sale and you'll really be getting good speakers for the money.
Fronts - KEF Q500 $350 ea
Center - KEF Q200 $400
Surrounds - KEF Q100 $300 pr
Rears- KEF Q100 $300
TOTAL: $1700 well below your budget of $2100
*With the leftover money I would look at upgrading the subwoofer to an SVS SB12-NSD currently on limited run/sale for $400. This would bring your total to right at your budget minus wires, cables ect. However, it should be one heck of a system.

Well luckily I just bought the Polk so I can return it and when I said I want the best speakers for my avr I just meant I didn't want to get speakers that are too much or not enough or does the wattage of the speakers matter that much?

Im thinking I should go ahead and get the svs sub as your the second person to recommend it.
Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks