What's new

The Official "What Speakers or Subwoofer Should I Buy" Assistance Thread (1 Viewer)

eco0088

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
You seem pretty sold on the B6 so will it matter what I think? In the end this is your system so you do what makes you happy.

Yes I did mean three "center" speakers to make an LCR setup. That where you use the same speaker all the way across the front. You connect a "center" speaker just like any other speaker with some speaker wire. There's nothing magical about a center speaker it's just a speaker with an extra mid-bass driver. You normally get a slight bump in efficiency due to the extra driver and the benefit of the same speaker all the way across the front.

No I am sold on any speakers yet. If I can stretch my budget and get KEF Q500/Q700, do you think they are better fit for my room size? my room is big but I don't sit very far. I can get Q700 just $100 more than Q500. But will Q700 be overkill to me?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Well luckily I just bought the Polk so I can return it and when I said I want the best speakers for my avr I just meant I didn't want to get speakers that are too much or not enough or does the wattage of the speakers matter that much?

Im thinking I should go ahead and get the svs sub as your the second person to recommend it.
Thanks for the advice!

You're welcome for the advice I'm glad to help out. Wattage of speakers and the AVR really don't matter that much. Don't focus too much on them as the number on the AVR are usually inflated greatly. Most of the time quality speakers will handle much more than you're ears will tolerate.

I would also consider buying the KEF's soon too as they are on sale and have been for a while. I don't know how long the sale will last. I was thinking it was going to end today to be honest. If you can afford it that SVS is quite a good deal. I have no doubt it will be a step up from the Polk and sound very nice in any system you put together.

Last edited:

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
No I am sold on any speakers yet. If I can stretch my budget and get KEF Q500/Q700, do you think they are better fit for my room size? my room is big but I don't sit very far. I can get Q700 just $100 more than Q500. But will Q700 be overkill to me?

Ok now we are cooking with some gas. If you can afford it I think the KEF Q series is better than the ELAC Debut series. Especially considering they are very much on sale right now. The Q500/700 are towers and will be very good to get if you're not running a subwoofer. If you're running a sub you could get by with really Q100's all the way around. It really depends on the budget you want to spend.

Will the Q700 be overkill...I don't think so. There's no such thing as overkill but would you be just fine with the Q500 I think you would be. Again without a sub the larger drivers will help out with the bass but I don't know that you will be lacking with the 500's. It's all about budget. If you want my opinion I would get Q100's front and rear, a Q200 center and the SVS SB12-NSB I linked further up. For HT a sub is very helpful.

I just reviewed your original post and saw you budget was 700-1000. If that's the case I would either strech to setup a 3.1 or do just two Q100's and a sub for a 2.1 system. If you're sitting close and the seating area is centered on the screen you could totally get by with a 2.1 for now. Expand as your budget builds. The good thing about the Q series is it usually goes on sale a few times a year so you can add to it down the road. You can also get refurbs when they come up at A4L.

Last edited:

eco0088

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
Ok now we are cooking with some gas. If you can afford it I think the KEF Q series is better than the ELAC Debut series. Especially considering they are very much on sale right now. The Q500/700 are towers and will be very good to get if you're not running a subwoofer. If you're running a sub you could get by with really Q100's all the way around. It really depends on the budget you want to spend.

Will the Q700 be overkill...I don't think so. There's no such thing as overkill but would you be just fine with the Q500 I think you would be. Again without a sub the larger drivers will help out with the bass but I don't know that you will be lacking with the 500's. It's all about budget. If you want my opinion I would get Q100's front and rear, a Q200 center and the SVS SB12-NSB I linked further up. For HT a sub is very helpful.

I just reviewed your original post and saw you budget was 700-1000. If that's the case I would either strech to setup a 3.1 or do just two Q100's and a sub for a 2.1 system. If you're sitting close and the seating area is centered on the screen you could totally get by with a 2.1 for now. Expand as your budget builds. The good thing about the Q series is it usually goes on sale a few times a year so you can add to it down the road. You can also get refurbs when they come up at A4L.

With them being on sale, I can get KEF Q500 almost the same price as Q100. Which set will be better?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
No sir the Q500 are each the Q100 are a pair. You need to account for that in your budget. A pair of Q500 will be $700.

ZachsHT

Auditioning
Real Name
Zachary
OK so now to budget 7 x $300 = $2100 for speakers. You can use your sub but normally Polk subs aren't great performers. That being said if you're happy with it then great all the more budget you can put into speakers. Lastly you don't match your speakers to the receiver you get the speakers that you like the sound of and the AVR is just simply there to run them. Yes the AVR is the center of the system but it it will change over time. Good speakers will last a for decades. Your focus on the receiver is misplaced it should really be on the speakers.

Ok now my recommendation is what I would do. Everyone has their own opinion and tastes in what they like in a speaker.

I would go with a KEF Q series because they are still on sale and you'll really be getting good speakers for the money.
Fronts - KEF Q500 $350 ea
Center - KEF Q200 $400
Surrounds - KEF Q100 $300 pr
Rears- KEF Q100 $300
TOTAL: $1700 well below your budget of $2100
*With the leftover money I would look at upgrading the subwoofer to an SVS SB12-NSD currently on limited run/sale for $400. This would bring your total to right at your budget minus wires, cables ect. However, it should be one heck of a system.

I meant to ask what's a good ported LFE? I see the svs you mentioned is sealed. I just prefer lower carrying bass.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I meant to ask what's a good ported LFE? I see the svs you mentioned is sealed. I just prefer lower carrying bass.

The specs on that subs list it going down to 22Hz...can't get much lower than that. However, if you just want ported SVS PB-1000 or a Rythmik LV12R should fit the bill. However, they do cost a good bit more. For the same price as the SVS you can look at the RSL Speedwoofer 10s but it doesn't go quite as low as the SVS but it is ported.

ZachsHT

Auditioning
Real Name
Zachary
The specs on that subs list it going down to 22Hz...can't get much lower than that. However, if you just want ported SVS PB-1000 or a Rythmik LV12R should fit the bill. However, they do cost a good bit more. For the same price as the SVS you can look at the RSL Speedwoofer 10s but it doesn't go quite as low as the SVS but it is ported.

Hmm very interesting. I know more about car audio than HT and ported always had lower bass, that's impressive if a sealed box goes lower than a comparable ported! But as long as it has a more boomy low bass versus a tight punch type bass then I'm willing to give it a shot.
Do you know how that works? How a sealed can hit lower than a ported?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Hmm very interesting. I know more about car audio than HT and ported always had lower bass, that's impressive if a sealed box goes lower than a comparable ported! But as long as it has a more boomy low bass versus a tight punch type bass then I'm willing to give it a shot.
Do you know how that works? How a sealed can hit lower than a ported?

The port is usually thrown into the subwoofer system to get a bump in the frequency response lower than a sealed box would. However if they design it to work that low it should. This could also be a function of the amp. A +6db in the 25hz region for instance might give them the bump they need when it gets that low. The sub is a system and all the parts work together to achieve the goal of the designer/manufacturer. I just the checked the specs at SVS and they list the low end at 23 with a +/- 3dB still very impressive.

Also you want the bass to be tight not boomy. Boomy will sound sloppy and non articulate. In a car that might work because the cabin controls it but I think you'll be very happy with this or any of the sub I mentioned.

ZachsHT

Auditioning
Real Name
Zachary
Awesome, well I'm ordering now! Let you know what I think once it's all set up. Thanks

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
If I can stretch to $700 will Q500 be a better choice?

If you can go up to the Q500 will it be worth it. Depends on what you're looking for. With the 500 you'll be getting a tower so no stand or mounting needed. You'll also get more efficiency, better bass extension and more bass overall with the dedicated bass driver. If you're not going to do a sub the towers will bring a nice richness to the system that the books won't quite have. The 100's are great speakers with a very good low end for the size of driver they have. There are times when I'm asking myself if the sub is on with them depending on what I'm listening to. The 500 has the same Uni-Q driver as the 100 it just adds a dedicated low frequency driver and two radiators to the mix. That's a lot of focus on the bass region. With a sub you'll probably notice the upgrade less (especially with a nice sub) than you would with no sub. Personally I would go with the books and the SVS while it's still on sale for the same money as the towers. Especially if you're going for HT use vs music only. Music only the towers might have the advantage.

Shep6901

Auditioning
Real Name
Grant
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Both

Primary Use: 60 % Music, 40% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: replacing 5.1 but open to other config

Room Size: 25x13(about) close to 12' ceiling

Is the room open to other areas of your home: Just one door at the top goes into kitchen

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? No

What's your budget (low to high): Low-medium

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Would be nice to have access or netflix etc but not required.

Sorry this will be a bit of a long post for my first. My father is recently on disability due to kidney failure so he spends more time watching tv and listening to music. Previously he had a theatre in a box by Lg
http://www.lg.com/us/home-audio/lg-LHT854-home-theater-system

It wasnt amazing but it worked fine. The dvd player quit working so my mother and I decided to replace it for Christmas. I did a little research and decided on Samsung HT-J5500W 5.1 Channel 1000-Watt 3D Blu-Ray Home Theater System (2015 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UCXJD8A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_njEAyb6N723X9

I bought it and it was very similar to what was there. It was a pretty easy set up. The problem came once i started to try out the features. My dad often plays the surround sound when watching tv or sports. With this new system you can only play tv audio from the tv speakers or from the front two speakers. Not both and not any other speakers. The same is true with playing cds. Audio only comes from front two speakers. So basically all the surround sound is a dust collector unless you are watching a dvd. No idea why anyone would design a system like that. I am going to look into returning the samsung system to amazon. So i am starting over.

Originally the room had a receiver,cd changer,dvd player and two large speakers mounted in the rear towards the ceiling and then two 4' floor mount speakers(one towards front xorner and one opposite side about halfway back.)

I will need to get a blu ray/or just dvd player again if it isn't going to be an all in one set up. I do not have as much room for equipment with their new entertainment center. But i could possibly take center speaker out and have room for a player and a receiver. I am open to any set up if you guys think something would be better than the 5.1 that I am replacing.

I have attached pics of the entertainment center,tv,tv hook ups, and the room. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_3088.JPG
    IMG_3088.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_3089.JPG
    IMG_3089.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3090.JPG
    IMG_3090.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 121

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Both
Primary Use: 60 % Music, 40% TV & Movies
Desired Configuration: replacing 5.1 but open to other config
Room Size:
25x13(about) close to 12' ceiling
Is the room open to other areas of your home: Just one door at the top goes into kitchen
Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? No
What's your budget (low to high): Low-medium
Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Would be nice to have access or netflix etc but not required.
Thanks for any help!

So here are some thoughts I had.

1. What is the budget for this system replacement? (dollar amount please)
  2. What space constraints do you have other than the TV stand?
  3. Normally I would be like get rid of the HTiB but in this case I think it might be an ok fit. I'm wondering if you've tried another soundfield/sound mode on it to get all 5 speakers to work? You're hooked up with the analog audio outputs you won't get a 5.1 off of them. So you'll have to set it to a simulated surround mode to get all 5 speakers working.
  4. Have you tried the optical cable as a hook up to the HTiB vs the analog RCA cables? You can get a 5.1 signal over an optical cable so it might be worth trying that if you wanted to keep running the HTiB.
If you wanted to upgrade to an AVR and speakers you can but you'll have to provide a budget. Once you do that it shouldn't be hard to come up with something.

Shep6901

Auditioning
Real Name
Grant
So here are some thoughts I had.

1. What is the budget for this system replacement? (dollar amount please)
  2. What space constraints do you have other than the TV stand?
  3. Normally I would be like get rid of the HTiB but in this case I think it might be an ok fit. I'm wondering if you've tried another soundfield/sound mode on it to get all 5 speakers to work? You're hooked up with the analog audio outputs you won't get a 5.1 off of them. So you'll have to set it to a simulated surround mode to get all 5 speakers working.
  4. Have you tried the optical cable as a hook up to the HTiB vs the analog RCA cables? You can get a 5.1 signal over an optical cable so it might be worth trying that if you wanted to keep running the HTiB.
If you wanted to upgrade to an AVR and speakers you can but you'll have to provide a budget. Once you do that it shouldn't be hard to come up with something.

1-I would say budget prob around $500. Although current theatre in the box was like 300.
2. Other than tv stand my mom isnt super sold on floor speakers again becauae she said they were kind of in the way and my 18m old is running around now when over there. But i could probably get her to bend on that. But putting them right beside the tv may be an issue as on the left side it wouldnt give the door much room to open. Just fyi the pic i took of the whole room is taken from the door to the outside beside the tv. The tv set up is in the corner if that matters as far as layout choice. The couch ka where everyone else sits. But often when my dad watches he pulls the chair (you can see the arm in the tv pic) out kind of in front of the tv and sits there (probably 5 ft from the tv,for some reason.)

I had a friend have a similar thought about the optical cable. But the reason I dont think that will fix the problem is what i found in the trouble shooting section of the book. I attached a picture of said finding. For some reason when you only play the front two speakers in tv mode it sounds horrible. But they are fine when watching a movie with all speakers working.

Attachments

• IMG_3078.JPG
    IMG_3078.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 98

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
If you want to upgrade to a full AVR and separate disc player than that's certainly a good way to go. I'll see if I can put something together for you. Here is an example of what I would look at.

AVR - Yamaha RX-V381 $280 or the Yamaha RX-V379 $230 (last gen only 1 HDCP 2.2, 4k HDMI port)

Speakers - Yamaha NS-SP1800 $150 5.1 speaker set very similar to the speakers that you have currently.

Disc player - whatever you feel would fit. There are many options out there.

Shep6901

Auditioning
Real Name
Grant
If you want to upgrade to a full AVR and separate disc player than that's certainly a good way to go. I'll see if I can put something together for you. Here is an example of what I would look at.

AVR - Yamaha RX-V381 $280 or the Yamaha RX-V379 $230 (last gen only 1 HDCP 2.2, 4k HDMI port)

Speakers - Yamaha NS-SP1800 $150 5.1 speaker set very similar to the speakers that you have currently.

Disc player - whatever you feel would fit. There are many options out there.

I appreciate you working on it for me. He did mention on the HTiB that the bass was a bit underwhelming. So i dont know if i should look for a powered sub on its own.

Do you think a 5.1 vs a 2.1 is the better option for the room? Would you do two speakers in the back still or put all 5 up front? Thanks for taking the time to lay this out.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I think that sub in the set should be better as it is an actual powered sub.

Would a 2.1 do better than a 5.1...that's a personal preference. At this price point you could get a better set of main speakers but you do give up the surround feature. I know that you can get a good sound out a 2.1 setup and for the room setup that you have it would probably be all that you need.

I think that 5 speakers in the front is silly and if you plan to do that just remove them and run a 3.1 setup. I don't think it would be hard to put rear speakers in the room that you have so I would just put out all 5 surround speakers.

Shep6901

Auditioning
Real Name
Grant
I think that sub in the set should be better as it is an actual powered sub.

Would a 2.1 do better than a 5.1...that's a personal preference. At this price point you could get a better set of main speakers but you do give up the surround feature. I know that you can get a good sound out a 2.1 setup and for the room setup that you have it would probably be all that you need.

I think that 5 speakers in the front is silly and if you plan to do that just remove them and run a 3.1 setup. I don't think it would be hard to put rear speakers in the room that you have so I would just put out all 5 surround speakers.

Oh yeah speakers in the back will be fine to run. The lg set had wired subs so when i took it out i left the wires. So they are already ran back there. I had never heard of doing the 5 up front. I just saw it done that way in a picture on one of the speaker sets or something i was looking at. That is good the sub is powered in that set. I couldnt find where it said that. What would be the deciding factor on which receiver of those two you would pick? Do you prefer the yamaha over onkyo or something else? Would i need to purchase wire and banana plugs or anything to connect the sub and front speakers? I am. Not familiar with those hook ups as i am used to bare wire red/black. Would i need to get an optical cable as well?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I picked the Yamaha because it is very simple to setup and use. That being said if you want to go with another brand then go for it. For an entry level 5.1 I've always heard that Yamaha and Denon are the way to go. I've owned both and I would give the nod to Yamaha for the simplicity. Considering the users I think that is a good thing.

Which one between them is up to you. I like the 381 and it's 4 HDMI HDCP 2.2 ports vs the 1 on the 379. Now that being said how many 4k HDMI ports are you going to need in the future...probably not that many. I still like having options to run more than one. If you don't plan on going 4k anytime soon then save a bit of money. Also if you don't plan on running your sources through the AVR it's less of an issue.

I think that bare wire will work well for that speaker set as they have spring terminals not 5 way posts. Bare wire will also work just fine on the receiver end too because only the main two channels have the ability to take a banana plug. I also think the set comes with the sub interconnect wire but I can't remember. A simple sub cable should do just fine just make sure you get it slightly longer than you think you need to account for moving it around.

You shouldn't need an optical cable if you run all your sources into the AVR (this is the right way to do it). If you use the TV as your receiver then yes you would probably want to use an optical cable. I would just run all your sources into the AVR and HDMI to the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks