What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Disney+ THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER (Marvel Cinematic Universe) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For anyone interested, Emily VanCamp (Sharon) is appearing on Jimmy Kimmel Live tonight (Thursday 4/15.). I'm guessing this discussion will be related to the show.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Almost 8 minutes of credits at the end kind of sucks for us consumers. Anyhow, a good episode that is setting up for an interesting final episode next week.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
This episode made me question the physics of the shield. I remember in the movies it established that Steve had some magnetic / attracter device he wore that 'called' the shield back to him. In this episode it looks like the shield comes back because.... it's magic?

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Almost 8 minutes of credits at the end kind of sucks for us consumers. Anyhow, a good episode that is setting up for an interesting final episode next week.
Same for Wandavision, there seems to be 3 sets of credits. The stylized graphics background credits, then the black screen credits, then the international credits.

I've always turned it off once the international credits start. So I never felt like 8 minutes had elapsed. Those have always seemed separate from the show too. Like something the network throws on after the fact, and not something that would be included if the shows were on a physical disc release or something.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
This episode made me question the physics of the shield. I remember in the movies it established that Steve had some magnetic / attracter device he wore that 'called' the shield back to him. In this episode it looks like the shield comes back because.... it's magic?
Steve had magnetic things to attach it to his back. Not to call it back from.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Steve had magnetic things to attach it to his back. Not to call it back from.
Huh. That's not how I remember it, but I'll take your word for it because I'm not sure. Ok I guess I'll go with magic then. :P

As soon as Elaine from Seinfeld showed up, I immediately though 'Oh she's the power broker'. But then when Sharon called in the French guy to help the flag smashers take down Sam, I pivoted back to her as the PB. Maybe Elaine is some villain that's from the comics to become John's boss that I don't know because I'm not familiar with the comics.

I just figured it was Sams wings that got repaired. But then when they deliberately avoided showing the contents that made me think it was most likely a new Cap suit.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Belated thoughts on episode 4 and episode 5.

There has been something slightly off about Walker right from the outset, even down to how he looks in the suit. I am sure they put a lot of effort into getting it to look just how they wanted and much like the position of Rogers replacement it looks just that bit off and almost as if it is slightly too big for him. He didn't look bad, but it clearly didn't look right.

The Whole World is Watching, had an incredible opening with the Bucky scene in Wakanda and closed with the unforgettable sight of Walker executing someone with the shield. Steve undoubtedly has killed a lot people (and aliens and androids, but no wizards that I recall) in his time, but he never would have done that.

Truth had an exciting and pretty brutal opening fight for the shield.

Great scenes with Sam and Isaiah, learning about exactly what he went through.

Interesting that the Dora were happy for Zemo to be held in the raft, I wonder if anything will come of that...

Bucky and Sam finding a foundation for their relationship sans Steve.

I have no knowledge of the Valentina Allegra de Fontaine character.

I still don't know exactly what Sharon is up to.

Can't wait to see what the Cap suit for Sam looks like.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
The only thing that's making me think Sharon is not the Power Broker, is that she's so obviously the Power Broker that she can't possibly be the Power Broker. :P
cHc1zNfd_400x400.png

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Outstanding episode. The opening fight sequence was really great. If it was in a movie, it'd leave the audience breathless.

Great, great writing (and acting) in the sequence between Sam and Isaiah. This is the elephant in the room on a show about a black man being offered the shield of Captain America. From the moment in Endgame when Steve gave Sam the shield, this (and the later conversation between Sam and Bucky) is the conversation that needed to happen.

I didn't quite get the quote from head writer Malcolm Spellman who said there was an appearance in Episode 5 that'd make you cry, or that it was someone they'd like to see meet Thor.

Julia Louis Dreyfuss' character is from the old Nick Fury comics. She was Fury's significant other. No idea what her allegiances or motivations are here, but she was a solid agent of SHIELD in her origin. (I wonder if Dreyfuss will show up in the Nick Fury show?)

She looked like this:
Contessa-Valentina-Allegra-Fontaine-Marvel-classic-a.jpg

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Julia Louis Dreyfuss' character is from the old Nick Fury comics. She was Fury's significant other. No idea what her allegiances or motivations are here, but she was a solid agent of SHIELD in her origin. (I wonder if Dreyfuss will show up in the Nick Fury show?)

She's going to appear again much sooner than that. I'll put this under a spoiler tag just in case some people might consider it to be more of a spoiler than I do.

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I thought it was a so-so episode - too un-focused.

The opening fight scene was good, but ended strangely - Bucky walks out while Walker is lying on the floor - what if he woke up? The Super Serum could allow him to recover quickly. Sam wouldn't have been able to stop him a second time.

The Isaiah scene bothered me. It felt like he's given up on the human race (or at least America) - it will never get better as far as he is concerned. And at that point it stopped being a conversation, and turned into a diatribe or rant.

What was the point of the Julia Louis Dreyfus scene? Are they going to pull focus from next weeks episode to revisit her? Or is it a dangling loose end that would only be dealt with in some future series that may never happen.

The Sam down home scenes worked for me - both with his sister and with Bucky.

And who was that General? There have been some so-so villains in the MCU, but he was pure cardboard bad ("do we really need to vote? We can ship those millions of people away even if there isn't a place for them") He was in charge of the tribunal and the GRC?

And with the tribunal, did they know Walker took the Super Serum? Because it felt irresponsible to let a Super-powered killer just walk away.

Last week was terrific. I hope next week is better.

On the whole, the series has been inconsistent

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Isaiah scene bothered me. It felt like he's given up on the human race (or at least America) - it will never get better as far as he is concerned. And at that point it stopped being a conversation, and turned into a diatribe or rant.

I didn't feel that way at all. Given the experience he is describing, his perspective feels legitimate and earned. I've really been impressed with how nuanced the writing has been. I am, however, glad that Sam disagrees and appears ready to take up the mantle Steve trusted him to carry on. It was really satisfying to see him take the shield back.

What was the point of the Julia Louis Dreyfus scene? Are they going to pull focus from next weeks episode to revisit her? Or is it a dangling loose end that would only be dealt with in some future series that may never happen.

She'll be back.
We were supposed to have seen her already in Black Widow except that COVID happened, so this episode ended up being her introduction to the MCU instead of that film.
See the link I posted in the post above yours for more on that.

When she first showed up, I wondered if she might be the Power Broker. The show seems to want us to think that Sharon is, especially since her mysterious phone call is her only appearance in this episode. But it won't really be a surprise reveal next week if it's Sharon because the show has already been so heavily implying that. A bait-and-switch using Dreyfus seems like it would be more like a "reveal," if that makes sense. (To be clear, this is all speculation; I don't know what the answer is.)

And with the tribunal, did they know Walker took the Super Serum? Because it felt irresponsible to let a Super-powered killer just walk away.

That is a really good question.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It basically acts like a billiard ball. Sam throws it at a tree, it bounces off the tree and comes back. Put a little "english" on it, it ricochets off multiple targets.

Put more simply, "It's comic book science." :)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
As soon as Elaine from Seinfeld showed up, I immediately though 'Oh she's the power broker'. But then when Sharon called in the French guy to help the flag smashers take down Sam, I pivoted back to her as the PB. Maybe Elaine is some villain that's from the comics to become John's boss that I don't know because I'm not familiar with the comics.

My wife and I were leaning toward Sharon being the Power Broker, especially after her appearance in this episode. On the other hand, I'm thinking that's a red herring, and that the Power Broker is
The Contessa, a.k.a. one of the various Madames Hydra

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I thought it was a so-so episode - too un-focused.

The opening fight scene was good, but ended strangely - Bucky walks out while Walker is lying on the floor - what if he woke up? The Super Serum could allow him to recover quickly. Sam wouldn't have been able to stop him a second time.

The Sam down home scenes worked for me - both with his sister and with Bucky.

And who was that General? There have been some so-so villains in the MCU, but he was pure cardboard bad ("do we really need to vote? We can ship those millions of people away even if there isn't a place for them") He was in charge of the tribunal and the GRC?

Last week was terrific. I hope next week is better.

On the whole, the series has been inconsistent

It's not clear what was going through Bucky's head at that moment. The look he gave Sam after dropping the shield next to him suggested he was giving Sam the shield back, and he'd better hold onto it this time.

I did think the same about whether Walker would recover too soon, but it's clear later on that this serum has deficiencies (maybe because there are no vita-rays involved?) as Walker had his arm in a sling for most of the episode.

I vehemently disagree with you regarding the Isaiah scene. It's certainly not clear how much the MCU (especially post-Blip) mirrors the real world, but I'm not sure it matters. I think most people watching this will see echoes of Isaiah's comments in what's going on in America today. And it was made more powerful when Bucky said, "When Steve and I discussed it, we never realized what it would mean for a black man to be Captain America, and I'm sorry for that." (Interesting to note that this was the first time it was made absolutely clear -- despite being obvious in the Old Steve scene in Endgame -- that Bucky knew about Steve's plan.)

If nothing else, it gave Sam something to ruminate on before coming to the decision that he needed to become Captain America to fight for the ideals of what America is supposed to be about rather than what it actually is. Presumably, Sam will be Cap on his own recognizance, and not as an agent for the US (or any other) Government. No doubt he's also taking into consideration Karli's views on Captain America being a symbol of what's wrong.

It seems pretty clear that no one -- other than Sam, Bucky, and the Flag-Smashers (and Zemo?) -- know that Walker took the serum. It's also clear that one outside of the same group of people know the truth about it being Karli, and not Nico, who killed Lamarr.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks