What's new

THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW Season One Restored! (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Just let me start by saying, I do appreciate the option of captions and/or subtitles, and I do get that for a segment of the population, they are even essential.

The only problem is captions/subtitles take time and effort to get right, and they don't come without cost. For those who may not be aware, this release was a kick starter project designed to restore an old iconic series to the best possible visual and auditory quality. The latter is something I particularly appreciate, as my hearing hasn't exactly improved with age. Unlike previous DVD releases of THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW, which had to rely on sourcing from old telecine transfers, for this ClassicFlix release, the Season 1 episodes were almost entirely sourced from the original camera negatives for both visual and audio.

In short, they look and sound fantastic, with crystal clear audio. No muffled sounding dialogue, which is a bane for anyone who suffers from any kind of hearing impairment. Yes, the prior 2010 THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW COMPLETE SERIES DVD set does include subtitles, but with the unfortunate trade off of raggy looking video and far from crystal clear audio.

That said, to make this release happen obviously required keeping the restoration budget within reason. Hence, no subtitles or captioning. I for one, am really thankful Bob Furmanek and his team chose to focus on Video and Audio restoration, the evidence of which can be seen and heard. This series was in very dire need of both, and I'm greatly looking forward to the release of the second and final season of THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW by ClassicFlix!

CHEERS!
icon_smile.gif

The old addage "you can't please everyone" holds true in this instance. Yet, What ClassicFlix has done is nothing short of a miracle, considering the ticking clock of the sorce materials and the scarity of said materials. The fact that this project even exsists is a testiment to Bob Furmanek and his team @ ClassicFlix!!

Peter Keller

Agent
Real Name
Peter
Mr. Furmanek at Kickstarter stated, “the DVD and Blu-ray will include English language closed captions”. So what happened?!

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 requires that state and local governments and private businesses ensure that individuals with disabilities are not excluded from or denied services because of the absence of auxiliary aids and services, such as captioning. Subtitles makes aural information accessible to people who are deaf or hard of hearing. Since the passage of the ADA, the use of subtitles and closed captioning has expanded. Entertainment, educational, informational, and training materials can be subtitled for deaf and hard of hearing audiences at the time they are produced or when distributed.

The US government has recognized the need for subtitles and important laws have been passed which mandate its availability.

Government laws require the provision of subtitles and closed captions on video yet many publishers continue to ignore this requirement simply to cut costs!

Subtitles provide equal access for ALL viewers!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Mr. Furmanek at Kickstarter stated, “the DVD and Blu-ray will include English language closed captions”. So what happened?!

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 requires that state and local governments and private businesses ensure that individuals with disabilities are not excluded from or denied services because of the absence of auxiliary aids and services, such as captioning. Subtitles makes aural information accessible to people who are deaf or hard of hearing. Since the passage of the ADA, the use of subtitles and closed captioning has expanded. Entertainment, educational, informational, and training materials can be subtitled for deaf and hard of hearing audiences at the time they are produced or when distributed.

The US government has recognized the need for subtitles and important laws have been passed which mandate its availability.

Government laws require the provision of subtitles and closed captions on video yet many publishers continue to ignore this requirement simply to cut costs!

Subtitles provide equal access for ALL viewers!

This is not the case.

Producers of audiovisual material, such as DVDs, are generally not required to caption their products.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It’s hard to believe anyone could find fault with this wonderful release.For me it’s perfect.
The difference between this and previous DVD releases is like night and day!

I just viewed the last THE ABBOTT & COSTELLO SHOW Season 1 episode SAFARI, yesterday. Does anyone know if the jungle set is the same one that was used in AFRICA SCREAMS! (1949)?

I've also listened to the commentary tracks on the first 2 discs, and plan to do the same for the 3rd and last disc. Then, I will replay the 6 episodes with partial and no laugh tracks.

A couple of things worth noting: Although Stinky gets a mention in the SAFARI episode, his last Season 1 appearance would be two episodes prior to that, in ACTOR'S HOME, which would prove to be Joe Besser's final A&CS appearance overall. Of course, SAFARI would also mark the end of series appearances for Hillary Brooke, Joe Kirk and Bingo The Chimp. I guess Bingo must have reunited with his family in Africa after all, and perhaps Hillary relocated to her Uncle's ranch? As for Mr. Bacciagalupe, I can only imagine he ran out of new professions to tackle! ;)

CHEERS! :)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
The difference between this and previous DVD releases is like night and day!

I just viewed the last THE ABBOTT & COSTELLO SHOW Season 1 episode SAFARI, yesterday. Does anyone know if the jungle set is the same one that was used in AFRICA SCREAMS! (1949)?

I've also listened to the commentary tracks on the first 2 discs, and plan to do the same for the 3rd and last disc. Then, I will replay the 6 episodes with partial and no laugh tracks.

A couple of things worth noting: Although Stinky gets a mention in the SAFARI episode, his last Season 1 appearance would be two episodes prior to that, in ACTOR'S HOME, which would prove to be Joe Besser's final A&CS appearance overall. Of course, SAFARI would also mark the end of series appearances for Hillary Brooke, Joe Kirk and Bingo The Chimp. I guess Bingo must have reunited with his family in Africa after all, and perhaps Hillary relocated to her Uncle's ranch? As for Mr. Bacciagalupe, I can only imagine he ran out of new professions to tackle! ;)

CHEERS! :)
You can’t have enough Stinky!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
This is terrible news. He was very kind to us on both his podcast and with recording his commentary track. May he rest in peace.
I listened to Gilbert Gottfried and Frank Santopadre's commentary for the "Getting A Job" episode just a few weeks ago. Gilbert sure knew his Classic Comedy well!!

Terrible news, indeed. Apparently, he had been ill for some time.

Rest in peace, Gilbert Gottfried.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The picture quality looks Amazing ! :D Season 2 will be released in May 2023 ? 8 months from now ? :huh:
There's a lot of work to be done. I don't think 8 months is unreasonable.

There are twenty-six episodes of 35mm picture and track elements in Season Two which total nearly 120,000 feet of film. Needless to say, this is a VERY laborious and expensive project.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The picture quality looks Amazing ! :D Season 2 will be released in May 2023 ? 8 months from now ? :huh:
For Kickstarter backers If it makes it on time. Retail 2-3 weeks later. Kickstarter is the quickest way to get it and ensures the funds are available for the restorations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks