What's new

Cool Movie Projects Happening on Kickstarter (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I was so happy to be able to support movie projects on kickstarter. Some I've missed, but these are interesting enough for me to help as I can, for these worthy film projects. And I wanted to make other would be supporters the opportunity to invest in these as well.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Here's a new one...The Star Command series is launching a kickstater champain in order to create a nice Blu-ray Box set, with of all of thier existing movie features and loads of surprises and extras. If you're not familiar with this series, Check out thier link and you will know many in the cast, for those that love Star Trek and Space 1999, Deep Space 9, etc...you just might dog this series!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The door is closing on being able to be part of this project, just giving a heads up...

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Restoring a Phantom​

This was the first silent film I really sat down to watch as I was finding my love for classic horror and honestly I wasn't really expecting much out of it and then an hour and a half later I found myself glued to the screen completely mesmerized by Lon Chaney's performance and the depth of this story. From there I wanted to learn more about it and started a journey that has now lasted years seeking out any and all information about this fascinating film. Being a producer and professional video editor I decided to get into film restoration with the intention of working on this film. Then rumors started going around that Universal was going to be doing a restoration of it so I decided to hold off on it with the hope that they would come out with it in their latest restorations. Unfortunately, that has come and gone with no sign of the Phantom getting the love. I never stopped working on my restoration skills during that time though and now have the opportunity to pursue this project once again but in order to do this properly it will take some time and money so I was asked by several other fans I shared samples with to start a Kickstarter for this restoration. So the next chapter of this restoration begins here! If we can get this funded we can get a glimpse into some cinema history lost to time and for the first time in nearly 100 years, see the classic Lon Chaney and Universal masterpiece, The Phantom of the Opera, the way it was meant to be seen!

Tech Notes​

For this project, I will be working from a private collector's scan of the 16mm print and Eye Filmmuseum's 4k scan of the technicolor print. Part of the Kickstarter fund's will be used to pay for these and licensing. My private collector currently has a 2K scan of the 16mm print that they had done a while back. I'm in talks with them to see if we can get a 4k scan done that I will help fund.
My process, which I used on the test footage above, starts with cleaning up the footage frame by frame to remove dust, scratches, and other artifacts. From there I remove the flicker and stabilize the footage. Then it is on to tinting the scenes and color passes for the color sequences. The last step in the process uses Topaz Lab's fantastic Video Enhance software for a final polish and making sure everything is a true 4K pixels on the final result.
For the score, a good friend of mine and film historian provided me with a copy of the sheet music that Universal sent out to theaters in 1925. I'm currently confirming if this is in Public Domain as well or will need to be licensed. Once this is confirmed I will be getting a new recording of this done to match this version of the film.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Restoring a Phantom​

This was the first silent film I really sat down to watch as I was finding my love for classic horror and honestly I wasn't really expecting much out of it and then an hour and a half later I found myself glued to the screen completely mesmerized by Lon Chaney's performance and the depth of this story. From there I wanted to learn more about it and started a journey that has now lasted years seeking out any and all information about this fascinating film. Being a producer and professional video editor I decided to get into film restoration with the intention of working on this film. Then rumors started going around that Universal was going to be doing a restoration of it so I decided to hold off on it with the hope that they would come out with it in their latest restorations. Unfortunately, that has come and gone with no sign of the Phantom getting the love. I never stopped working on my restoration skills during that time though and now have the opportunity to pursue this project once again but in order to do this properly it will take some time and money so I was asked by several other fans I shared samples with to start a Kickstarter for this restoration. So the next chapter of this restoration begins here! If we can get this funded we can get a glimpse into some cinema history lost to time and for the first time in nearly 100 years, see the classic Lon Chaney and Universal masterpiece, The Phantom of the Opera, the way it was meant to be seen!

Tech Notes​

For this project, I will be working from a private collector's scan of the 16mm print and Eye Filmmuseum's 4k scan of the technicolor print. Part of the Kickstarter fund's will be used to pay for these and licensing. My private collector currently has a 2K scan of the 16mm print that they had done a while back. I'm in talks with them to see if we can get a 4k scan done that I will help fund.
My process, which I used on the test footage above, starts with cleaning up the footage frame by frame to remove dust, scratches, and other artifacts. From there I remove the flicker and stabilize the footage. Then it is on to tinting the scenes and color passes for the color sequences. The last step in the process uses Topaz Lab's fantastic Video Enhance software for a final polish and making sure everything is a true 4K pixels on the final result.
For the score, a good friend of mine and film historian provided me with a copy of the sheet music that Universal sent out to theaters in 1925. I'm currently confirming if this is in Public Domain as well or will need to be licensed. Once this is confirmed I will be getting a new recording of this done to match this version of the film.

Sorry, but I’m not seeing this as a viable KS project. Far too important a film, without access to all extant elements. I understand the passion, but not the tactical ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks