What's new

THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW Season One Restored! (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I Just received my Christmas Present from ClassicFlix !!!! :D :banana: :dancing-banana-04: :dance:
DSC00484.JPG
DSC00485.JPG

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
"The Abbott and Costello Show: Season 1 is a monumental release for fans of the boys themselves and for comedy in general. The quality of the video and audio is staggering, making it one of the best home video releases of 2021. Highly recommended (and bring on Season 2)!"

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
"The Abbott and Costello Show: Season 1 is a monumental release for fans of the boys themselves and for comedy in general. The quality of the video and audio is staggering, making it one of the best home video releases of 2021. Highly recommended (and bring on Season 2)!"

Thanks to you and your team, this is one amazing collection and I'm in line for the next season without a doubt!! Thanks So Much Bob!!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would like to belatedly throw in my two cents - I’ve only had the chance to view the first episode so far but it looks and sounds quite outstanding, very much on par with the handful of other early shot-on-film B&W shows that have found their way to Blu-ray.

I didn’t remember the program at all when the announcement was made - my A&C memories are more of my great-grandfather showing me well worn PD VHS releases like Africa Screams - so I decided to refresh my memory by watching the first episode on Amazon Prime from whatever ancient master they licensed from whoever before I committed to buying the new release. It was quite a thrill to see the difference between that and the new disc.

I will probably savor these slowly over the next few months rather than racing through it but it’s great to have. Anyone on the fence about whether or not to purchase can buy with confidence.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
This is the first I've heard of this release. I've been buying the ClassicFlix "Little Rascals" restorations and loving them, so I may have to get these. But I am curious... it was restored in 4K, so why no 4K discs?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The 4K workflow was done for preservation purposes.

A 4K disc release would not have been financially viable as the extra costs on the authoring and replication end would’ve been prohibitive.
The fact these Episodes exist in 4K is alone quite reassuring and allows for potential commercial availability at a later date.

As it stands, the 1080p Blu-ray transfers are stunning!

From LOU'S BIRTHDAY PARTY (THE ABBOTT & COSTELLO SHOW - S01E05):
screenshot074.jpg

Note: The above Episode, like many others, does involve long sequences of Lou appearing without Bud, who as previously noted, was a salaried player throughout the filming of the two seasons of this iconic series!

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just to further highlight the top notch level of restoration for TA&CS Season 1, I popped in Disc 2 of the 2010 E1 Entertainment Complete Series DVD release. Below are a pair of comparison screenshots from the POTS AND PANS Episode (S01E09) from when Mr. Fields is touting some very old cheese sent over from Palermo, Italy.

THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW: THE COMPLETE SERIES (2010 E1 Entertainment) DVD
screenshot003.jpg

THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW: Season 1 (2021 ClassicFlix) Blu-ray
screenshot108.jpg

CHEERS! :)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
“ClassicFlix has delivered one of the Blu-Ray releases of the year with this first season set that features an astounding A/V presentation and a ton of great special features that makes the package even sweeter. If you are a comedy fan, you owe it to yourself to pick this one up.”

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
“ClassicFlix has delivered one of the Blu-Ray releases of the year with this first season set that features an astounding A/V presentation and a ton of great special features that makes the package even sweeter. If you are a comedy fan, you owe it to yourself to pick this one up.”

and another for a friend!!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just let me start by saying, I do appreciate the option of captions and/or subtitles, and I do get that for a segment of the population, they are even essential.

The only problem is captions/subtitles take time and effort to get right, and they don't come without cost. For those who may not be aware, this release was a kick starter project designed to restore an old iconic series to the best possible visual and auditory quality. The latter is something I particularly appreciate, as my hearing hasn't exactly improved with age. Unlike previous DVD releases of THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW, which had to rely on sourcing from old telecine transfers, for this ClassicFlix release, the Season 1 episodes were almost entirely sourced from the original camera negatives for both visual and audio.

In short, they look and sound fantastic, with crystal clear audio. No muffled sounding dialogue, which is a bane for anyone who suffers from any kind of hearing impairment. Yes, the prior 2010 THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW COMPLETE SERIES DVD set does include subtitles, but with the unfortunate trade off of raggy looking video and far from crystal clear audio.

That said, to make this release happen obviously required keeping the restoration budget within reason. Hence, no subtitles or captioning. I for one, am really thankful Bob Furmanek and his team chose to focus on Video and Audio restoration, the evidence of which can be seen and heard. This series was in very dire need of both, and I'm greatly looking forward to the release of the second and final season of THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW by ClassicFlix!

CHEERS!
icon_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks