What's new

Terms of Endearment? (1 Viewer)

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I know this is available in Europe, but nothing on the horizon for the US? Multiple Oscar-winner including Best Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Actress, and Screenplay?

I might be tempted to get an import if the studio doesn't see the light on this title. Having seen TOE in the theaters in 83, it's difficult for me to imagine how this wouldn't sell well today. The demographics of Blu-ray audiences must be skewed much younger than I thought..........

Debra Winger definitely needs more representation on Blu, although "An Officer and a Gentleman" was a nice addition. How about "Urban Cowboy"???

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Cinescott said:
I know this is available in Europe, but nothing on the horizon for the US? Multiple Oscar-winner including Best Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Actress, and Screenplay?

I might be tempted to get an import if the studio doesn't see the light on this title. Having seen TOE in the theaters in 83, it's difficult for me to imagine how this wouldn't sell well today. The demographics of Blu-ray audiences must be skewed much younger than I thought..........

Debra Winger definitely needs more representation on Blu, although "An Officer and a Gentleman" was a nice addition. How about "Urban Cowboy"???
We're likely to see a 2013 release on this from Paramount via its distribution deal with Warner, as this year is the film's 30th Anniversary, and as you point out, it cleaned up at the Oscars...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Moe Dickstein said:
Would love to see this go to Criterion, they did a wonderful job with Broadcast News...
Since, it's a Paramount title, I doubt that happens with Criterion. Warner might release it though with their distribution deal with Paramount.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Robert Crawford said:
Since, it's a Paramount title, I doubt that happens with Criterion. Warner might release it though with their distribution deal with Paramount.
Criterion also has a deal with Paramount. They've released many of theirs lately, Harold and Maude, Rosemary's Baby, Medium Cool...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Moe Dickstein said:
Criterion also has a deal with Paramount. They've released many of theirs lately, Harold and Maude, Rosemary's Baby, Medium Cool...
True, but I rather Warner releases it at a lower price point.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Crawdaddy, given that this year is the movie's 30th anniversary year and it's the 1983 Best Picture Oscar winner, Criterion may want this as a prestige release for their licensing deal with Paramount...I'd welcome it if it entails the usual deluxe treatment in terms of audio commentary by director James Brooks and other supplimental materials...otherwise, a barebones release by Warner would be fine by me...

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
There's already a commentary on the DVD but I'd love to see this film get the Criterion treatment, would be well worth the $20 you pay at sale time

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I personally think that this release should come with an extra special version. If physical media is really on the downswing...

Take a page from the DVD-A days. Bring them to market in a "book". Anybody familiar with Beck Guero knows what I mean. If physical media continues a downward sales trend...bulk up the case it comes in.

If Terms of Endearment showed up in a "book" with removable screen notes, pictures etc...I'd pay $30. Maybe even $40. There needs to be a reason to still buy these things. One day "streamed" will catch up. But streamed will never give you an ownership experience. Make us want it in a physical form.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks