What's new

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
If you're a movie fan you must see Wings! One of the greats.
I made a “making of” WINGS Video (it’s on YouTube) long before paramount made theres, and mine was ultimately better (even I made a couple mistakes.)

I love that movie.

if you like William Wellman, I highly recommend the book THE MAN AND HIS WINGS: MAKING THE FIRST BEST PICTURE, by his son William Wellman Jr.

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
Did you read the New York Times review of the film when it opened at the 1st Criterion theater in Times Square? I read it so long ago but I had the impression the critic was not very impressed.
I will definitely check out the book.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I made a “making of” WINGS Video (it’s on YouTube) long before paramount made theres, and mine was ultimately better (even I made a couple mistakes.)

I love that movie.

if you like William Wellman, I highly recommend the book THE MAN AND HIS WINGS: MAKING THE FIRST BEST PICTURE, by his son William Wellman Jr.

Great movie. Great director. Great book, I second the recommendation.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
These large multi disc sets are almost always packages of already released discs. That is why you won't see "The Greatest Show On Earth" (new to blu) or "Ordinary People" (not yet released in the US) on this set. They are mostly for gift giving or someone who is new to collecting films. Same target audience as Greatest Hits records and CDs back in the day. Those who were fans of a band most likely had all or most of the tracks on a Greatest Hits package but someone who knew a friend who liked a band might get a hits package as a gift. Digital codes for the films will probably help sell box. Especially if the individually sold films no longer include a digital code. A better set would be Oscar nominated films. A set like that you could probably do several sets by decade.
I know I purchased The Best Of Warner Bros 50 film blu ray for about $70 and got digital codes for several films that didn't have free digital codes on the individually sold films like "Mutiny On The Bounty" (1935) , "A Star Is Born" (1954) "Grand Hotel", "The Maltese Falcon", " Mrs. Miniver* ,"Treasure of the Sierra Madre," and many others at the time of purchase.

Last edited:

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Frankly, it’s a great collection. Folks like us are only disappointed because we already bought them separately and long ago. Meanwhile, there are youngsters out there who - believe it or not - may just be beginning and tapping into their passions for film. They get to have the Paramount boxed-set, and we get to have the super-duper advanced stuff, like Bergman’s Cinema. Heck, this set could even lead to HTF gaining a few new members. Lucky them, whomever they may be. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
*Goes through list*
  • · Wings (1927)- own it
  • · My Fair Lady (1964)- own it
  • · The Godfather (1972)- own it
  • · Terms of Endearment (1983)- never seen it
  • · Forrest Gump (1994)- don't want it; I'm still so bitter about Pulp Fiction losing that I've never seen it
  • · The English Patient (1996)- never seen it, but would pick up a single
  • · Titanic (1997)- on the fence
  • · American Beauty (1999)- too problematic now
  • · Gladiator (2000)- own it
  • · No Country For Old Men (2007)- again, would pick up a single
Who are they making this package for?
I definitely agree with your take on Forrest Gump- it wasn’t even the 2nd best film that year (Pulp and Shawshank are better films).

Wings- is that the Howard Hughes film?

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I definitely agree with your take on Forrest Gump- it wasn’t even the 2nd best film that year (Pulp and Shawshank are better films).

Wings- is that the Howard Hughes film?
In the end, the Best Picture of the year is the film that you, me or we most personally champions. And, if our film of choice loses, it thankfully is not taken away from us nor does it self-destruct.:)

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Why do people think Pulp Fiction is such a great movie? It is a classic, but the best?

I don’t know why people dislike Forrest Gump so much. What’s wrong with it?
IMO, Forrest was much more of a
“popular” or “bandwagon” film than Pulp or Shawshank. The popular films are more likely to draw criticism or dislike. Forrest also has one scene that I intensely dislike-
the whole Forrest running sequence.

Off topic, but on the subject of Best Picture winners that beat a better film- The Shape Of Water beating Three Billboards. Watching Billboards now, and it should have won the Oscar, and it’s not even close, IMO.

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
“popular” or “bandwagon” film than Pulp or Shawshank. The popular films are more likely to draw criticism or dislike. Forrest also has one scene that I intensely dislike-

Off topic, but on the subject of Best Picture winners that beat a better film- The Shape Of Water beating Three Billboards. Watching Billboards now, and it should have won the Oscar, and it’s not even close, IMO.

Ah, the Oscars! Where “Best Picture” is in the eye of the beholder...

With few exceptions (GWTW, CASABLANCA, GODFATHERS 1 & 2, possibly two or three more), every year is a big debate about which is the better film.

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Ah, the Oscars! Where “Best Picture” is in the eye of the beholder...

With few exceptions (GWTW, CASABLANCA, GODFATHERS 1 & 2, possibly two or three more), every year is a big debate about which is the better film.
Actually, with no exceptions, and respectively The Wizard of Oz, In Which We Serve, Cabaret and Chinatown should have taken Best Picture.:D

Seriously, though, your cited years of 1939, ‘44, ‘72 and ‘74 are four examples to which my above selections and the winners at hand are pairings that are absolutely at a tie to my mind.

Anyway, let the debates continue.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I agree "Shape" didn't deserve the win, but disagree with "Billboards" was better - it left me cold.

"Lady Bird" was my pick from 2017, and I'd have taken "Dunkirk" or "Get Out" as well...

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
See? Everyone had their own personal
Taste.

I bet that every nominee would have someone say it was the best of the year.

The great thing about movies... they’re so debatable!
Here’s a couple of others to debate- Rocky’s win over Network (I think the academy chose the wrong winner),
and Titanic over L.A. Confidential or As Good As It Gets.

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
W
I agree with "Titanic" for 1997 but would've gone "All the President's Men" for 1976!
I’ll have to give ATPM a try- never saw it all the way through. Absolutely love Network, except how it ends- that has always bugged me a little. Probably the pinnacle of acting in any film.

Last edited:
  • Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
So I guess, few posting in this thread are going to buy this upcoming BD release.:lol:
Likely for the reason of we have already bought some of the films that are in this set, or are going to get the UHD version of some of these releases (I have 8 of the 10 on either DVD or BluRay).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikWRX