Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Difficult to believe that James Brooks' Terms of Endearment won Best Picture --

Forty Years Ago.

Paramount has now made it spine number 42 in their ongoing series of Paramount Presents.

As one might hope for a film from the recent past, a 4k release should be a relatively simple endeavor to bring to disc, and Paramount's new offering shines in all regards.

A Best Picture treated properly, and in 4k, even if there's nothing in the 4k realm on the OCN. But no matter. Whatever is enclosed in the dyes has been faithfully rendered to disc. It couldn't be better.

For packaging fans, Paramount continues its version of the flip phone in heavy paper, with the slipcover unfolding to reveal the original one-sheet. A nice touch, that will someday allow eBayers to reap the benefits.

For anyone anyone is searching for a 4k copy in a brick & mortar establishment, the packaging is standard issue clear plastic (in a cover) Paramount Presents.

However, this may be confused with standard issue Blu-ray, as there is no mention of 4k either on the obverse or spine. Only on the reverse. From front and side, it looks to be a Blu-ray.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 6

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 3

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Posting early to make readers aware that if anyone is searching for a 4k copy in a brick & mortar establishment, the packaging is standard issue clear plastic (in a cover) Paramount Presents.

It may be confusing, as there is no mention of 4k either on the obverse or spine. Only on the reverse. From front and side, it looks to be a Blu-ray.

Posting review when I can find a few minutes.
Wal*Mart has had a couple of 4K releases with 4K blu-ray,2 k blu-ray , DVD and Digital code in packaging similar to Criterion/Arrow's ...
EG
1698901858775.png
1698901889383.png
1698902068144.png
1698901937670.png
1698901969046.png

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
An interesting story. My grandparents were watching "Terms of Endearment" in the theater when my grandfather had his fatal heart attack about midway through the film. Needless to say my grandmother never saw the end of the movie. When I later told her
that Debra Winger gets cancer and dies in the film she replied, "Are you sure we're talking about the same movie?"

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
An interesting story. My grandparents were watching "Terms of Endearment" in the theater when my grandfather had his fatal heart attack about midway through the film. Needless to say my grandmother never saw the end of the movie.
When I later told her that Debra Winger gets cancer and dies in the film she replied, "Are you sure we're talking about the same movie?"
Please use the spoiler function. Some people, especially younger people, haven’t seen the movie. Thanks.

Last edited:

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Reactions: PMF

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I've not seen this in years. It used to air on cable a lot back in the day and it was one of the films my mom always enjoyed watching.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Really? It's verboten to talk about the plot of a film that was made in 1983? That's absurd.
Have you seen every movie that was released in 1983? I haven’t, and I’m pretty sure someone born 20 or 30 years ago hasn’t. You’re free to talk about the plot; just put the discussion under a Spoiler tag so you don’t spoil the movie for people who haven’t seen it. They may be about to buy this movie and presumably would prefer to watch it without knowing how it ends.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I must need to start going to a better class of Wal*Mart (if there is such a thing): My local store only seems to carry DVD, with a couple of Blu-rays sprinkled here and there.
I generally only go to Wal*Mart Supercenters...
1699082503361.png

They generally have more suff including a larger "electronics" department with more media as well as the players and some remarked projectors, and cables etc. The the death of Radio Shack and Frys' Electronics they about the best brick and mortar place to get cables and accessories at a reasonable price.

Last week some of the discs shown were in the store but they have since been replaced by steebooks ... which tend to have a paperboard overlay advising of the type of disc ...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I remember the ending of this film was so notorious throughout the 80s/90s that I knew how it ended a long time before I saw it. That I was prepared for. What I wasn’t prepared for was just how funny so much of the film is. People talked about the dramatic aspects so much that it was a pure joy to see such wonderful actors getting so many great comedic moments.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks