What's new

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Really? It's verboten to talk about the plot of a film that was made in 1983? That's absurd.
Not absurd at all. A decade ago I finally got to see Mrs. Miniver (1942) for the first time. A classic. A Best Picture winner. And therefore new to me. I wanted to be surprised and taken away, just as the original audience had been and who were impacted by the unfolding narrative. But damn it, during my first outing there was an elder watching the film with me; not only couldn’t she say enough about the film, but said too way too much in the moments before a crucial scene. A flesh and bone spoiler was in the room declaring, “Don’t be foolish, I’ve seen this film a dozen times”.

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
An interesting story. My grandparents were watching "Terms of Endearment" in the theater when my grandfather had his fatal heart attack about midway through the film. Needless to say my grandmother never saw the end of the movie. When I later told her
that Debra Winger gets cancer and dies in the film she replied, "Are you sure we're talking about the same movie?"
Just wanted to say Richard and I’m terribly sorry for your loss.
I read this earlier and didn’t respond when I read it because…
like you, I have a story about this film.

My mother died in 1982 of cancer. My father was widowed and left to raise my brother, myself, and my sister, we were nine, seven, and six years old respectively.

So whenever this film comes up, I think of my father, telling me how he was taken to the theater to see this movie a year later.
And how it was “a tear-jerker”.

I always wondered who took him and why.

I got older and watched it and I’m fond of it’s power, but it’s a hard film for me.

Again, sorry for your loss. Truly.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Difficult to believe that James Brooks' Terms of Endearment won Best Picture --

Forty Years Ago.

Paramount has now made it spine number 42 in their ongoing series of Paramount Presents.

As one might hope for a film from the recent past, a 4k release should be a relatively simple endeavor to bring to disc, and Paramount's new offering shines in all regards.

A Best Picture treated properly, and in 4k, even if there's nothing in the 4k realm on the OCN. But no matter. Whatever is enclosed in the dyes has been faithfully rendered to disc. It couldn't be better.

For packaging fans, Paramount continues its version of the flip phone in heavy paper, with the slipcover unfolding to reveal the original one-sheet. A nice touch, that will someday allow eBayers to reap the benefits.

For anyone anyone is searching for a 4k copy in a brick & mortar establishment, the packaging is standard issue clear plastic (in a cover) Paramount Presents.

However, this may be confused with standard issue Blu-ray, as there is no mention of 4k either on the obverse or spine. Only on the reverse. From front and side, it looks to be a Blu-ray.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 6

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 3

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Finally got around to check in this out and oh my God it looks spectacular
just spectacular

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is one of the few movies I cried openly in a movie theater. It struck a personal chord for me because
I lost my mother to pancreatic cancer at the young age of 50 less than two years earlier. To this day the movie still has that affect on me whenever I watch it.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
This is one of the few movies I cried openly in a movie theater. It struck a personal chord for me because
I lost my mother to pancreatic cancer at the young age of 50 less than two years earlier. To this day the movie still has that affect on me whenever I watch it.
Omg.
Robert, so very sorry for your loss I know the horror the pain of losing a mother at an early age
my heart goes out to you. I send all my love.

I just started it again watching the 4K.
I was laughing hysterically at Shirley McClaine shaking the crib in the opening scene because the baby was sleeping

As soon as the baby woke up crying, she was relieved and said OK she’s OK and then close the door.
Just priceless

And then you see the amazing Deborah Winger on screen.
Then I stopped it

it will always tear me to pieces

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks