What's new

PHE Press Release: 10 Best Picture Academy Award Winners (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Likely for the reason of we have already bought some of the films that are in this set, or are going to get the UHD version of some of these releases (I have 8 of the 10 on either DVD or BluRay).
10 out of 10 on prior BD purchases from my end, with 2 titles upgraded to 4KUHD. And 3, if MFL makes the grade in May.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
10 out of 10 on prior BD purchases from my end, with 2 titles upgraded to 4KUHD. And 3, if MFL makes the grade in May.:thumbs-up-smiley:
The Godfather is another that’s rumored to be released in the near future, and I’d be shocked if Titanic doesn’t get a UHD release within a year or two.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I like ROCKY - great film. Iconic. But was it the best? Hard to say. I think what happened was that ATPM and NETWORK split the vote, allowing ROCKY the win.

Myself, of the three, ATPM is my favourite.
As for TITANIC, say what you will
About it, but it’s a masterpiece - from a technical standpoint. The attention to detail that went into Recreating the ship was phenomenal. The movie
Making wizardry was second to none. And for that alone I think it’s the best picture of the year. The story? Well... it has its good points and bad. Kate Winslet - great actress. I like her. Leo? Not so crazy about him. I never liked TITANIC for a long time. But as I read about it and watched how they made the film, I gained a greater appreciation for it.

Was AS GOOD AS IT GETS better? I don’t think so. Helen Hunt won her Oscar for playing Jamie Buchman.

I love LA CONFIDENTIAL... great noir film. Would have been incredible in B/W.

But I don’t think either were better than TITANIC.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I like ROCKY - great film. Iconic. But was it the best? Hard to say. I think what happened was that ATPM and NETWORK split the vote, allowing ROCKY the win.

Myself, of the three, ATPM is my favourite.
As for TITANIC, say what you will
About it, but it’s a masterpiece - from a technical standpoint. The attention to detail that went into Recreating the ship was phenomenal. The movie
Making wizardry was second to none. And for that alone I think it’s the best picture of the year. The story? Well... it has its good points and bad. Kate Winslet - great actress. I like her. Leo? Not so crazy about him. I never liked TITANIC for a long time. But as I read about it and watched how they made the film, I gained a greater appreciation for it.

Was AS GOOD AS IT GETS better? I don’t think so. Helen Hunt won her Oscar for playing Jamie Buchman.

But I don’t think either were better than TITANIC.
Interesting theory about ATPM and Network splitting votes which allowed Rocky to reach the finish line first. Plausible. I wonder if Network didn’t quite make it due to its ending, or maybe some in the academy took exception with the film’s
attack against television.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Interesting theory about ATPM and Network splitting votes which allowed Rocky to reach the finish line first. Plausible. I wonder if Network didn’t quite make it due to its ending, or maybe some in the academy took exception to the film’s
Rocky, plain and simple, was an all-around, tug-at-your-heart, underdog-comeback story of love, victory and redemption. At the time of its release, I was not as enthralled as others; as I favored Network; but, in time, Rocky grew on me and won me over big-time.

Network, I suspect, did not have that universal crowd-pleasing pull. But make no mistake, Network gave Rocky a true run for its money.
Paddy Chayefsky won his third career Oscar for Best Original Screenplay (incl. Marty and The Hospital); and 3 out of the 4 acting categories were awarded, which occurred only once before with A Streetcar Named Desire and never again, since.

So, Rocky for Best Picture? Sure, why not? But, damn, I wish that Best Director went to Sidney Lumet. Again, another year in which the Best Picture Winner and one of that years nominees always feels to me like an inseparable tie.

Note to Paramount:
How about a 10 BD boxed-set with “Zeffirelli’s Romeo & Juliet”, “Hud”, “Murder on the Orient Express”, “A Place in the Sun”, “Searching for Bobby Fischer”, “The Day of The Locust”, “Darling Lili”, “Paper Moon”, “Paint Your Wagon” and “Chinatown”?

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Rocky, plain and simple, was an all-around, tug-at-your-heart, underdog-comeback story of love, victory and redemption. At the time of its release, I was not as enthralled as others; as I favored Network; but, in time, Rocky grew on me and won me over big-time.

Network, I suspect, did not have that universal crowd-pleasing pull. But make no mistake, Network gave Rocky a true run for its money.
Paddy Chayefsky won his third career Oscar for Best Original Screenplay; and 3 out of the 4 acting categories were awarded, which occurred only once before with A Streetcar Named Desire and never again, since.

So, Rocky for Best Picture? Sure, why not? But, damn, I wish that Best Director went to Sidney Lumet. Again, another year in which the Best Picture Winner and one of that years nominees always feels to me like an inseparable tie.

Note to Paramount:
How about a 5 BD boxed-set with “Zeffirelli’s Romeo & Juliet”, “Hud”, “Murder on the Orient Express”, “A Place in the Sun” and “Paint Your Wagon”?
It really is a shame that Lumet never won a director Oscar- most of his films were great.

Rocky- I really like the film- amazing accomplishment by Stallone for writing the screenplay- impressive script from someone who was just starting out in films.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
"The Sweet Hereafter" would be my pick for 1997. "Ed Wood" for 1994. "Yentl" or "The Right Stuff" for 1983.
Ed Wood wasn’t nominated (Landau won best supporting actor, and the film won for best makeup, but didn’t receive any other nominations), but it is a fantastic film.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I loved L.A. Confidential when I first saw it and then I read the book and became the "The book was better!" guy. To be fair, it's impossible for a two-and-a-half-hour movie to do everything the book did so they did the best they could and I still like the movie. :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Interesting theory about ATPM and Network splitting votes which allowed Rocky to reach the finish line first. Plausible. I wonder if Network didn’t quite make it due to its ending, or maybe some in the academy took exception with the film’s

1976's 5 BP noms included 4 dramas that could be seen as "downers" to some degree and a feel-good underdog story.

Probably not a shock the last one won!

4 of the 5 are very good or great movies. Only "Bound for Glory" seems meh to me...

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren

Paddy Chayefsky won his third career Oscar for Best Original Screenplay (incl. Marty and The Hospital); and 3 out of the 4 acting categories were awarded, which occurred only once before with A Streetcar Named Desire and never again, since.

Note to Paramount:
How about a 10 BD boxed-set with “Zeffirelli’s Romeo & Juliet”, “Hud”, “Murder on the Orient Express”, “A Place in the Sun”, “Searching for Bobby Fischer”, “The Day of The Locust”, “Darling Lili”, “Paper Moon”, “Paint Your Wagon” and “Chinatown”?
I’d buy that set in a heartbeat!!

Reactions: PMF

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
IMO, Forrest was much more of a
“popular” or “bandwagon” film than Pulp or Shawshank. The popular films are more likely to draw criticism or dislike. Forrest also has one scene that I intensely dislike-
the whole Forrest running sequence.

Off topic, but on the subject of Best Picture winners that beat a better film- The Shape Of Water beating Three Billboards. Watching Billboards now, and it should have won the Oscar, and it’s not even close, IMO.
You've hit the nail on the head. Best Picture is a very subjective thing. I felt Pulp Fiction was the superior film, because it did things I hadn't seen before on film [non-linear timeline, level of integration of music in the film, the pop culture reference integration depth]. Conversely, I didn't like Three Billboards and found the characters very one-dimensional when contrasted with the horror fairy tale of The Shape of Water [full disclosure: I'll pretty much watch anything GDT]. This is what can make discussion great and is why we shouldn't put absolute faith in "arbiters of taste" like AMPAS.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Who are they making this package for?
It's a great "gift package" for someone who isn't a HT fanatic, especially at the recent price of about $30 on Amazon.

I bought one for my sister's birthday. I'm sure she has none of them and would like at least a couple of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks