What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Where to find the Best Deals on Movies & TV Shows on 4k/UHD, Blu-ray and DVD…
The Features
full

– The Equalizer 3 – 2023
full

– Terms of Endearment – 1983
full

– The Last Picture Show – 1971
full

– Rudy – 1993
full

– Nun II – 2023
full

– Rapa-Nui – 1994
full

Continue reading...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey RoundUppers!

An even bigger RoundUp this week. As requested, I included prices from Barnes & Noble. That is now a total of seven different retailers/etailers in the grid. I’ll be frank that I cannot include that many each week so I am definitely asking for more input as to which vendors are most popular. To be honest, I’m more than a little disappointed that GRUV seems to list so few titles ahead of release (unless I’m looking in the wrong place on their website). So I need to hear from you RoundUppers about this! :D

Some BIG titles this week. Some Best Picture winners. Some new films. And titles from all across the decades. I hope there’s something for you!

Personally, I have been a big fan of Denzel’s Equalizer franchise so I will be tracking a copy of that. But I also agree with many here that new 4k/UHD releases have been priced really high recently and I have been hesitant to pull the trigger on pre-orders. I want the new M:I movie, too. But have yet to do anything about that.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'll pick up The Last Picture Show at the next Criterion sale, but nothing for me this week at the moment. Thanks as always Mike!
I’ll be frank that I cannot include that many each week so I am definitely asking for more input as to which vendors are most popular. To be honest, I’m more than a little disappointed that GRUV seems to list so few titles ahead of release (unless I’m looking in the wrong place on their website). So I need to hear from you RoundUppers about this!
With Best Buy going bye bye, most of my purchases going forward will be through Amazon, Walmart, Barnes & Noble, and Target -- in that order.

However, B&N rarely if ever discounts new releases, so I don't think they're going to be one I look to for the best prices on new releases. They're mainly good for the occasional sale like their half off Criterions, and for weird stuff that isn't carried by the other brick and mortars.

If I had to pick three, it would be Amazon, Walmart, and Target, with Amazon being the most important of those three.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll be picking up Duel and Leave It To Beaver.

Thanks for the prices, Mike! :)

As for the pricing grid, I would be good with just Amazon and Target once Best Buy is done but I imagine that others will give more valuable input. Based on what I've read at HTF, it seems like Bull Moose would be a popular one too.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As Adam says, Barnes & Noble is almost always going to be full MSRP, so I'm not sure how valuable their listings will be if we're seeking the best deals. And I thought GRUV only served certain studio labels? So that may be why they don't list all the new releases if they're not from their partners.

Will get The Nun II sometime along, and maybe Equalizer 3. I loved Werewolves Within, but I don't think I need a steelbook.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So far, I'm agreeing with what all of you have been laying down.

B&N is simply a basic listing of new releases at MSRP so not a very useful addition for price shopping (I am more than willing to hear opposing points of view). And Bull Moose is a viable alternative to Amazon & Target.

I haven't researched Wal-Mart.com. A LONG time ago, we used to feature CostCo and, IIRC, Sam's Club--but both went away due to lack of interest (on both ends). I'll look into W-M as a possibility.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thank you for your work, Mike!

I read the Roundup every week whether I buy something or not. Because I am a Prime member, I usually go with Amazon unless somewhere else has a sale or exclusive. But I always find it to be informative reading. Occasionally, glancing at the Roundup will remind me that a smaller title I haven't pre-ordered is coming out that week.

My local Best Buy store has been getting my business on Disney titles for a while because I don't trust Amazon to send those given their history. I'll be going elsewhere for those next year. It seems like Target and/or Walmart will be my most obvious choices.

That being said, I think you should use your judgment about what stores to add.

Regarding this Roundup grid specifically, I'll end up with Spirited Away Live On Stage and the new Justified. But they might not be immediate purchases.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You don't think Bull Moose would be the way to go, Robert?

TBH, DeepDiscount seems to have some pretty good prices when compared to the others.
I think DD is better known among the membership with slightly better pricing and coupons.

Moises

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moisés Chiullan
can confirm that the mysterious "Target Exclusive" version of Spirited Away Live On Stage is the exact same packaging and art...with a folded reversible poster tucked inside the slipcover. Mystery solved!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
with a folded reversible poster tucked inside the slipcover.
I got this recently too. I thought the double sided nature of it was rather funny. If you actually want to hang it, you can't have both images showing; you'd have to pick one or the other to display, unless you wanted to get two separate copies. This is a nitpick, obviously, but it's not the best design choice. I like that the cover of the disc places both actresses/poses next to each other.

When performed live, the show uses a double casting scenario for Chihiro/Sen and a few other roles where they each do a certain number of performances per week. This is why the show was filmed twice and is a two-disc set so that it could be captured with both primary casts. The Blu-ray cover makes both actresses equals by putting them both on there, but the poster would make you choose only one to display.

Credit to GKIDS and Shout Factory for including both separate performances in one Blu-ray package instead of making fans buy them separately. I'm a big enough Spirited Away fan that I probably would have bought them separately if I had to, but it feels like a better value to have them together as a single purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks