What's new

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My pre-orders for THE ABYSS and TRUE LIES shipped on-time, but the one for ALIENS got screwed up in the shipping process (because of course it did) and had to be canceled....and now ALIENS is out of stock at Amazon, Walmart and DeepDiscount, and neither Target nor Barnes & Noble even appear to carry it. Does anyone out there have any suggestions of somewhere else to find it?
All three of my Cameron preorders are now backordered. I too looked around the web and didn't find any in-stock options. I'm going to assume they underestimated demand and likely pressed too few copies. I've waited this long for them, I think I'm just going to let it ride and whenever Amazon gets their next batch, that's fine with me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've seen nothing to indicate these are limited editions. I think everyone just needs to take a breath.

There was a note in one of the other threads that there were shipping issues causing delays in getting the discs to retailers. They'll show up eventually. With Disney transitioning their disc releases to Sony, that could also be causing hiccups if they're already starting to dismantle their in-house distribution arm.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I went to every store that sells movies locally today and found no James Cameron discs anywhere. Still a very big week for me, I got Aquaman 2, Poor Things, Anyone But You, and a release I didn't see an announcement for. A 4K steel book for the 2022 All Quiet on the Western Front.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ironically, despite Amazon and Disney’s ongoing issues (which someone else mentioned, I was not aware of this), I just got the email re the availability of these four titles on 4K and when you click on it, Amazon is listed as one of the places to buy the discs.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
IMG_8581.jpeg

The irony lol

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Stopped in a Target while in Reno yesterday, and saw NONE of the 3/12 new releases, not even empty slots for them.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That will only give you the theatrical cut...
I was only referring to the irony of Amazon being listed as a way to get the physical media being advertised from an official Fox email about the availability of the disc...when Amazon apparently has had trouble sourcing supply from Disney (and I suppose now by extension, Fox).

Personally speaking, the only time I purchase digital is when there is no physical media available (Titan A.E. is currently my only digital only purchase because they've never put out a BD/UHD of it, and it's a guilty pleasure).

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I think it's time to cancel my pre-order of the Abyss from Amazon. Not listed in stock and no estimate on when I will ever get it. What a disappointment.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I think Disney just seriously underestimated the demand for the Cameron films. They are decades old and have never been available on HD physical media. These aren't films where people might just decide to hang on to their old Blu-Rays.

Also they are from a director who has 3 films in the top 5 grossing films of all time.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Stopped in a Target while in Reno yesterday, and saw NONE of the 3/12 new releases, not even empty slots for them.
Target is now mainly only good for online purchases during sales. At last check they seemed to only have empty shelves and about 20 copies of the most recent Trolls movie on blu-ray. Plus the recent vinyl and CD copies of the ouvre of Taylor Swift, K-Pop groups and some "recent" song heavy film soundtracks ...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My Amazon preorders for the Cameron 4Ks have recently been updated from "we don't know when the heck we'll ever get these again" to:

Aliens: shipped, arriving at the Amazon Hub tomorrow (I send my important stuff here to combat porch pirates)
True Lies: expected delivery late March (so hopefully within a week)
Abyss: expected delivery April (huge date range which is kind of annoying)

But at least there's activity. I was concerned they may just cancel the orders. Honestly I'd love to have gotten The Abyss first instead of last, but c'est la vie.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Small update for those who are still awaiting Amazon pre-orders for the Cameron 4Ks. Last I checked if you try to order them now they still may all say "backordered" or not taking orders, so what I'm writing below only applies to those who have outstanding preorders (for reference I preordered about a week before release date and immediately got a "we will email you when we have an estimated ship date" order status).
  • Aliens arrived yesterday.
  • True Lies had its estimated arrival window shortened from March 25-30, to currently March 25-26 so I'm guessing they are getting more stock shortly
  • The Abyss had its estimated arrival window shortened from April 10-25 to April 2-10. So a shipment of this disc seems likely imminent as well.
Good luck to those still waiting for their preorders!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
True Lies is now en route and scheduled for the locker tomorrow. For those interested in purchasing it from Amazon, when I checked this morning it seemed to be available to order, with arrival within 2 days for Prime members (though that may have changed in the hours since).

The Abyss preorder is still showing with an estimated range of April 2-10 for delivery, and as of this morning Amazon was still not taking current orders.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
To wrap a bow on the situation, got The Abyss yesterday (guess they got their shipment early). Just checked Amazon site, they are not accepting orders for it. So I guess supply is still extremely limited. Or they have a long waiting list. Or both.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Just checked Amazon site, they are not accepting orders for it.
Amazon has not been reliable for new release Disney titles for several years, irrespective of the high demand for the Cameron titles specifically.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.