What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Where to find the Best Deals on Movies & TV Shows on 4k/UHD, Blu-ray and DVD…
The Features
full

– The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes – 2023
full

– His Girl Friday – 1940
full

– Madame DuBarry (Passion) – 1919
full

– Strange Way of Life – 2023
full

– Footloose – 1984
full

– Let’s Dance – 1950...

Continue reading...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Lots of mighty interesting titles being released this week. Some real high-profile stuff! :D

This is where I climb out on the end of the limb and say, I bet there’s something for you.

Let us know! :D

Safe shopping, RoundUppers!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thank you, Mike! The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes for me this week.

The press release that Ron posted a while back in the Blu-ray section says,

AMAZON BLU-RAY™ EXCLUSIVE SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Imagining a Retro Future: The Look of The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes
  • The Arc of a Tyrant: Creating Coriolanus Snow in The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes
So it appears that their copies will have some exclusive bonus features. $42.99 is too high for me, though. I'm just going with the standard Blu-ray, which is all I need.

Walmart has an exclusive steelbook version, so I would be surprised if Amazon had the same thing. Walmart seems to have effectively replaced Best Buy as the steelbook store because Disney is also sending the steelbook of The Marvels there.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The only confusing part is that Amazon has their exclusive listed as 4k/UHD.
I could be wrong since I don't have any, but I think Lionsgate still includes Blu-rays with their 4K releases.

Last year, I got a Walmart exclusive of "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret," which is also a Lionsgate release. The main feature disc was a Blu-ray, same as the general release. But the extra disc of exclusive features was a DVD.

For Songbirds and Snakes, the Amazon exclusive bonus could be on a Blu-ray even if the main feature disc is 4K. But that's just guesswork. We won't really know unless someone purchases it. Because I only need the Blu-ray and that's $20, I'm not going to pay $42.99 for Amazon's version.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have several titles coming because I took advantage of some Target sales and combined them with some accumulated Target gift cards and Target Circle Earnings.

Alaska Seas
Man-Eater of Kumaon
Blood on the Sun
Footloose (4K/UHD)
The Marvels (4K/UHD)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for your hard work, as usual, Mike! I'm sorely tempted by the Columbia Classics Volume 4 set at Deep Discount since everyone else is charging the outrageous MSRP of $216. With one of their coupon codes (SLICK15) it brings the release down to $133.52 shipped for me. Decisions, decisions... :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for your hard work, as usual, Mike! I'm sorely tempted by the Columbia Classics Volume 4 set at Deep Discount since everyone else is charging the outrageous MSRP of $216. With one of their coupon codes (SLICK15) it brings the release down to $133.52 shipped for me. Decisions, decisions... :)
I’m waiting because I think this box will discount heavily once they realize sales are down due to the high price point.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I’m waiting because I think this box will discount heavily once they realize sales are down due to the high price point.
You're probably right, Robert. But, in the unlikely event that doesn't happen, I went ahead and pulled the trigger anyway. I can live with paying $22.25 per title for this set, even though the only film I *really want* is Starman.

Of course, there's also the possibility that most retailers would consider marking the set down to Deep Discount's current price IS heavily discounting the release, since the high MSRP of $216 is apparently not a mistake after all and we won't see it go much lower than a hundred and thirty bucks.

I'll follow this situation with interest, and I hope it eventually drops to your target price.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You're probably right, Robert. But, in the unlikely event that doesn't happen, I went ahead and pulled the trigger anyway. I can live with paying $22.25 per title for this set, even though the only film I *really want* is Starman.

Of course, there's also the possibility that most retailers would consider marking the set down to Deep Discount's current price IS heavily discounting the release, since the high MSRP of $216 is apparently not a mistake after all and we won't see it go much lower.

I'll follow this situation with interest, and I hope it eventually drops to your target price.
How you spend your money is your business! Personally, I can’t give in to this price hike.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm in the situation where I've got the first three Columbia Classics box and am trying to decide if I want to be a completist (when the price drops) or a sane person.

It's an okay grouping of titles: His Girl Friday/Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner/Kramer vs. Kramer/Starman/Sleepless in Seattle/Punch-Drunk Love.

But I don't know if I really need to have any of them in 4k. I've already got His Girl Friday (Criterion), Kramer vs. Kramer, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and Sleepless in Seattle on Blu-ray. I have never owned/seen Starman or Punch Drunk Love.

I am going to try to remain sane and forego Volume 4.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm in the situation where I've got the first three Columbia Classics box and am trying to decide if I want to be a completist (when the price drops) or a sane person.

It's an okay grouping of titles: His Girl Friday/Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner/Kramer vs. Kramer/Starman/Sleepless in Seattle/Punch-Drunk Love.

But I don't know if I really need to have any of them in 4k. I've already got His Girl Friday (Criterion), Kramer vs. Kramer, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and Sleepless in Seattle on Blu-ray. I have never owned/seen Starman or Punch Drunk Love.

... Been there, done that ...
1707608421670.png

Didn't buy the T-shirt ...;)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Expect the Columbia Classics Volume 4 to arrive after street date. As far as I can tell, review copies haven’t even been shipped out yet.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Expect the Columbia Classics Volume 4 to arrive after street date. As far as I can tell, review copies haven’t even been shipped out yet.
Not that it means anything, but Deep Discount showed it as an in-stock item when I placed my order this morning. It's now only showing an "ADD TO WISH LIST" button.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Over the last several years, I have accumulated all of the films digitally from iTunes. If and when those HD digitals upgrade to 4K then that should hold me until I actually purchase this 4K boxset at a more reasonable price. The films in this boxset that I'm mostly looking towards watching in 4K are His Girl Friday and Starman. My opinion of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner has changed since I watched it as a kid during its theatrical run. I see flaws in the movie now that I didn't see back then. With that said, I still hold this movie in high regard for the actors and filmmaker involved in its making. The other three movies are not exactly favorites of mine which helps in the patience I needed to pass on this boxset for now because I paid less than $90.00 for those previously released three 4K boxsets.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon dropped the price of The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes Blu-ray down to $17.82 from $19.96.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks