What's new

WHV Press Release: Just Mercy (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just Mercy is urgent, searing and powerful,

led by a first-rate cast.”

Mark Kennedy, Associated Press

IT’S NEVER TOO LATE FOR JUSTICE WHEN

Just Mercy

ARRIVES ONTO BLU-RAY™,

DVD AND DIGITAL FROM

WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 3.11.06 PM.png

Own it Early on Digital on March 24

Blu-ray and DVD debut on April 14

Burbank, CA, February 20 - Based on the true story of a hero, “Just Mercy” arrives on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital. The film is directed by award-winning filmmaker Destin Daniel Cretton (“The Glass Castle,” “Short Term 12”), from a screenplay he co-wrote, based on Bryan Stevenson’s bestselling memoir.

Michael B. Jordan (“Creed,” “Black Panther”) and Oscar winners Jamie Foxx (“Ray,” “Baby Driver,” “Django: Unchained”) and Brie Larson (“Room,” “Short Term 12,” “Captain Marvel”) star in “Just Mercy,” an inspiring drama that brings one of the most important stories of our time to the big screen.

The main cast also includes Rob Morgan (“Mudbound,” TV’s “Stranger Things”) as Herbert Richardson, a fellow prisoner who also sits on death row awaiting his fate. Tim Blake Nelson (“Wormwood,” “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs”) as Ralph Myers, whose pivotal testimony against Walter McMillian is called into question. Rafe Spall (“The Big Short,” “The Ritual”) as Tommy Chapman, the district attorney who is fighting to uphold Walter’s conviction and sentence. O’Shea Jackson Jr. (“Straight Outta Compton,” “Godzilla: King of the Monsters”) as Anthony Ray Hinton, another wrongly convicted death row inmate whose cause is taken up by Bryan and Karan Kendrick (“The Hate U Give,” “Hidden Figures”) as Walter’s wife, Minnie McMillian, who stands by her husband.

The film was produced by Gil Netter, Asher Goldstein and Jordan. Stevenson, Mike Drake, Niija Kuykendall, Gabriel Hammond, Daniel Hammond, Scott Budnick, Jeff Skoll and Charles D. King served as executive producers.

Cretton co-wrote the screenplay with Andrew Lanham (“The Glass Castle”), based on Stevenson’s book “Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption.” Published in 2014 by Spiegel & Grau, the book has spent more than 180 weeks on The New York Times Best Sellers List and counting. It was also named one of the year’s best books by a number of top publications, including TIME Magazine. For the book, Stevenson also won the Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence, an NAACP Image Award and the Dayton Literary Peace Prize for Nonfiction.

Cretton’s behind-the-scenes creative team included director of photography Brett Pawlak (“Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn”), production designer Sharon Seymour (“Argo”), editor Nat Sanders (“Moonlight”) and composer Joel P West (“Short Term 12”), all of whom previously collaborated with the director on “The Glass Castle.” They are joined by costume designer Francine Jamison-Tanchuck (“Detroit,” “Roman J. Israel, Esq.”).

Warner Bros. Pictures presents, in association with Endeavor Content, One Community, Participant Media, MACRO, Netter Productions and Outlier Society, “Just Mercy.”

The film will be available on Blu-ray and DVD on April 14. The Blu-ray features a Blu-ray disc with the film and special features in hi-definition and a Digital version of the movie.

The Blu-ray disc of “Just Mercy” will feature a Dolby Atmos® soundtrack remixed specifically for the home theater environment to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. To experience Dolby Atmos at home, a Dolby Atmos enabled AV receiver and additional speakers are required, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar. Dolby Atmos soundtracks are also fully backward compatible with traditional audio configurations and legacy home entertainment equipment.

Just Mercy” will also be available on Movies Anywhere. Using the free Movies Anywhere app and website, consumers can access all their eligible movies by connecting their Movies Anywhere account with their participating digital retailer accounts.

Fans can also own “Just Mercy” via purchase from digital retailers beginning March 24.

Just Mercy” is based on the powerful and thought-provoking true story of young lawyer Bryan Stevenson (Michael B. Jordan) and his history-making battle for justice. After graduating from Harvard, Bryan had his pick of lucrative jobs. Instead, he heads to Alabama to defend those wrongly condemned or who were not afforded proper representation, with the support of local advocate Eva Ansley (Brie Larson). One of his first, and most incendiary, cases is that of Walter McMillian (Jamie Foxx), who, in 1987, was sentenced to die for the notorious murder of an 18-year-old girl, despite a preponderance of evidence proving his innocence and the fact that the main testimony against him came from a criminal with a motive to lie. In the years that follow, Bryan becomes embroiled in a labyrinth of legal and political maneuverings, as well as overt and unabashed racism as he fights for Walter, and others like him, with the odds—and the system—stacked against them.

BLU-RAY AND DVD ELEMENTS

“Just Mercy” Blu-ray contains the following special features:

· Making ‘Mercy’

· This Moment Deserves

· The Equal Justice Initiative

· Deleted Scenes

“Just Mercy” DVD contains the following special features:

· Making ‘Mercy’

DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION ELEMENTS

On March 24, “Just Mercy” will be available to own in high definition and standard definition from select digital retailers including Amazon, FandangoNOW, iTunes, PlayStation, Vudu, Xbox and others. On April 14, “Just Mercy” will be made available digitally on Video On Demand services from cable and satellite providers, and on select gaming consoles.

ABOUT MOVIES ANYWHERE

Movies Anywhere is a digital movie platform that enables movie fans to discover, access, and watch their favorite digital movies in one place. Movies Anywhere brings together a library of nearly 7,500 digital movies from Sony Pictures, Twentieth Century Fox Film, The Walt Disney Studios (including Disney, Pixar, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm), Universal Pictures (including DreamWorks and Illumination Entertainment) and Warner Bros., and will continue to expand the consumer experience as more content providers, digital retailers and platforms are added. By connecting participating digital retailers that include Amazon Prime Video, FandangoNOW, Google Play, iTunes and Vudu, movie fans can now bring together their digital movie collections (whether purchased or redeemed) in one place and enjoy them from the comfort of their living rooms, and across multiple devices and platforms, including Amazon Fire devices; Android devices and Android TV; Apple TV; Chromecast; iPhone, iPad and iPod touch; Roku® devices and popular browsers. Movie fans can also redeem digital codes found in eligible Blu-ray and DVD disc packages from participating studios and enjoy them through Movies Anywhere. Movies Anywhere – your movies, together at last.

ABOUT DIGITAL

*Digital movies or TV episodes allow fans to watch a digital version of their movie or TV show anywhere, on their favorite devices. Digital movies or TV episodes are included with the purchase of specially marked Blu-ray discs. With digital, consumers are able to instantly stream and download movies and TV shows to TVs, computers, tablets and smartphones through retail services. For more information on compatible devices and services go to wb.com/digitalmoviefaq. Consult a digital retailer for details and requirements and for a list of digital-compatible devices.

BASICS

PRODUCT SRP

Blu-ray $35.99

DVD $28.98

Blu-ray and DVD Street Date: April 14

EST Street Date: March 24

DVD Languages: English, Latin Spanish, English-ADS, Parisian French

BD Languages: English, Latin Spanish, Parisian French, English-ADS, Brazilian Portuguese

DVD Subtitles: English SDH, Latin Spanish, Parisian French

BD Subtitles: English, Latin Spanish, Parisian French Brazilian Portuguese

Running Time: 137 minutes

Rating: Rated PG-13 for thematic content including some racial epithets.

DVD: DLBY/SURR DLBY/DGTL

Blu-ray: ATMOS TrueHD, DLBY/SURR DLBY/DGTL

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is a fantastic movie and I wish it had gotten more attention in its theatrical release. I would highly recommend it as a rental to anyone who missed it in theaters.

That being said, there are certainly aspects of it which are difficult to watch. I don't think I would replay it often enough to justify a release week purchase. Maybe after a price cut.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Agreed!

This is a one-watch film, but oh man, is it a sensational one.

It's a shame this film didn't get more attention. The performances were outstanding. One of my favorites of last year.

If you can get it cheap on digital don't hesitate to nab it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Warner Bros. has made the decision to move up the digital release dates for JUST MERCY. The film will now be available to own from digital retailers beginning on March 17, and will be available digitally on Video on Demand services from cable and satellite providers and select gaming consoles beginning on March 24.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
WB usually sends out review Blu-rays 4-7 days before street.

They sent me "Just Mercy" to arrive yesterday, nearly 4 weeks pre-street!

I think they wanted to get it out the door before quarantines kept them from sending us BDs.

"Rise of Skywalker" also arrived almost 2 weeks pre-street, which is slightly earlier than with the earlier movies, though not by more than 3-4 days, IIRC.

I think BDs that come out over the next few months aren't gonna get reviewed as normal. Criterion already told me they have no one in their NYC office to send us product, and I suspect that'll happen with the CA-based firms as well.

I know this is a nothing "issue" given all that's happening in the world, but I thought some folks might be interested to know in case they don't see reviews of many new release BDs for the foreseeable future!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The funny thing to me is that, even though.I am interested in reading reviews of titles I know I want in order to find out about the quality of the release, reviews also don't matter that much in making my choice to purchase or not. If I really liked a movie, I've probably pre-ordered it before the review gets posted. That doesn't mean I don't value the information in the review, but does mean I can easily still make purchases without them being posted for a while.

That being said, I'll be more annoyed if the actual releases of the discs start getting delayed because of the virus. Like many here, I'm looking forward to getting upcoming releases to watch at home while I'm stuck in the house, and it would be disappointing if those had to get pushed. Like you said, not the worst thing in the world, but this will be my source of entertainment for the next while.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Got a press release from Uni for "Current War" that indicated they'd only have digital copies for review. I assume that's because they just don't have a way to send out physical copies.

Have to imagine we disc reviewers are gonna be watching old stuff for a while!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That being said, there are certainly aspects of it which are difficult to watch. I don't think I would replay it often enough to justify a release week purchase. Maybe after a price cut.
I'm quoting myself because my "maybe after a price cut" comment came true. I noticed that Amazon had this on sale for $10.79 yesterday, so I went ahead and grabbed it. Of course, right after I was billed, they dropped the price further to $10.74 before my copy was even shipped, so I got screwed out of a nickel. Oh well. Although I still don't expect to revisit this with tremendous frequency, I thought $10 is a very reasonable price point.

I don't mean to imply any correlation between Amazon discounts and other movies. But Destin Daniel Cretton, who directed this film, is also the director of the next Marvel movie, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, which is coming out next week. I've been a fan of Cretton's work for a long time, so I hope that Shang-Chi leads some people who may not be acquainted with his other, smaller films to find them. I have been revisiting his other films recently and I thought this was a good time to pick this one up.

I'm bumping this thread because of an unusual situation with Amazon on this title.

The Amazon listing is clearly labeled as "Just Mercy (Blu-ray + Digital)" and the cover art on their page still clearly says "Blu-ray + Digital Code." This of course leads to the expectation that I was buying a Blu-ray disc which contains a digital copy code. However, when I received the package, there was no digital code included, All I have is a physical Blu-ray and that's it. The cover art does not actually make any mention of a digital copy, and there are no inserts in the keepcase of any kind whatsoever.

Can anyone who purchased Just Mercy around its original release date verify that there was in fact a digital copy included at the time?

If there was, it seems as though Warner Bros. stopped including a digital copy code with Just Mercy at some point between its original release date in April 2020 and now, which is of course their prerogative. However, both the listing and the cover art on Amazon still indicate that a digital code will be included.

When I want to watch Just Mercy, I will get out the disc. That being said, I do redeem the digital copy codes that I receive just for the sake of using them. They're nice to have, although I don't consider them essential to justify a purchase. If this had been advertised as a Blu-ray only release at the same price, I still would have bought it.

That being said, Amazon is advertising that a digital code will be there and it isn't. I'm not interested in returning the Blu-ray because I do want the Blu-ray. But in principle, I don't think Amazon should be advertising something as being included that wasn't there.

I'm wondering what would happen if I brought this up with Amazon. Obviously, their customer service representatives have limited power to do anything in regards to the site. To someone who does not know the ins and outs of home entertainment like we do on HTF, my complaint sounds like I'm asking to return the item because it's not as described. But that's not the case, exactly, because I do want to keep the disc. I just think Amazon should be advertising what they actually have, which is a Blu-ray only edition.

I'm also curious to see what, if anything, Amazon would suggest in terms of a make good for this. If I don't want to return the disc, they wouldn't have cause to refund it. But they did not deliver precisely what is advertised on their site. I'm not sure if that entitles me to anything. This is a total first world problem and I know that. It's not really a big deal. But it should be fixed.

I'm not really sure what to do about this, though.

Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks