What's new

Terminator, SE - a complete look (1 Viewer)

Kyle Milligan

Stunt Coordinator
For those of you who dig Easter Eggs, there are quite a few on the Terminator SE.
Details on how to access them are here
I don't think there was a heavy since Darth Vader that kids of my generation emulated more than Schwarzenegger's cold-blooded robotic killer. (Don't tell the Moms of the world, but I think the movie scarred us all for life).
As for the rest of the DVD, read on...
Aside from a new transfer, and remastered Dolby Digital EX sound, cool menus (albeit, not as elaborate as the “T2” variety, but in some ways better) lead us to a bevy of bonus stuff.
“Other Voices” is a comprehensive fact filled hour of revelations from just about every crucial player in the making of one of the most successful and enduring action films that has captured the imagination of so many. In it we hear about the humble beginnings of James Cameron who was flat broke and looking to get his film made. Some interesting alternative casting considerations for the title role, among many other things are covered in new interviews as well as some clips of old ones. One common thread from everyone is how special they thought the project was, and how eager they were to be a part of it.
Some attention is spent on the technical effects, from the stop motion animation for the endo-skeleton, robotic puppets, futuristic sets and blowing up miniatures real good, all on a semi-shoe-string budget. Stan Winston marvels at the simplicity and ingenuity that they had to rely on to get what they needed. Required viewing for future pyrotechnicians and make-up artists everywhere.
If deleted scenes are your bag, there’s a healthy handful here, some involving a more visible and prominent “Cyberdyne Systems” of the present, and a foreshadow of what was to come in “T2.”
A shorter piece, “The Terminator: A Retrospective” is basically a sit-down with James Cameron and Arnold Schwarzenegger, recalling their fondest memories of the production, in retrospect after the 1991 sequel. Not as intriguing, and nothing new after you’ve seen the main documentary.
Finally, a bunch of other production materials round out the DVD, including storyboards done by James Cameron, sometimes full colour renderings, and a bountiful host of production stills that in of themselves tell a story about how the film was made without explanation. Don’t take my word for it, check them out first, see what you learn.
“Terminator” hasn’t looked this good at home, and if you were born after 1966, then video is probably the only way you would’ve seen it before, but for the grace of a turned blind eye of a multiplex employee.
Enjoy.
------------------
Kyle
www.toldyouso.net
[Edited last by Kyle Milligan on September 28, 2001 at 05:21 PM]

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Thanks, Kyle! I know where I'll be next Tuesday... :)
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I was born on August of 1966, does that count. :)
orangeman
------------------
Link RemovedLink Removed
Titan A.E. A goldmine for demo scenes

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
quote: “Terminator” hasn’t looked this good at home, and if you were born after 1966, then video is probably the only way you would’ve seen it before[/quote]
Could you elaborate a little on that one, because I was born in '68 and saw "Terminator" in its original theatrical run, in 1984, 3 times.
[Edited last by Brett_B on September 28, 2001 at 09:28 AM]

Kyle Milligan

Stunt Coordinator
It's funny what strikes a chord, but I'm glad these questions are coming up.
Well, here's where my lifelong fear of math has bitten me in the hiney. I figured that if you were born after 1966, i.e. in 1967, than you wouldn't have been old enough in 1984 when Terminator was theatrically run in late October.
Perhaps I'm forgetting the old rules of the MPAA rating, I believe if it was rated "R" than you needed to be 17 or be with an adult. Is that true? Anyone?
Anyway, it was more an observation on the fact that most of us, regardless of age discovered The Terminator on video, because of its limited advertising campaign, and the fact that it may not have run in many theaters, so you're opportunities might have been short. If you did see it, consider yourself lucky. I'll def change it to 1968 so everyone's happy.
Kyle
------------------
Kyle
www.toldyouso.net

Andy_B

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps I'm forgetting the old rules of the MPAA rating, I believe if it was rated "R" than you needed to be 17 or be with an adult. Is that true? Anyone?

"or be with an adult"
also, in the 80's the theaters were not quite so strict about R rated movies so 15 and 16 year olds regularly got in.
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks