What's new

Press Release Lionsgate Press Release: Terminator 2: Judgment Day: Best Buy Exclusive Steelbook (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
1A29E281-80F1-4C31-98B3-CEFF2C1879F6.jpeg
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
From visionary director James Cameron and iconic action star Arnold Schwarzenegger comes the 30th anniversary release of TERMINATOR 2: JUDGEMENT DAY. Stunningly restored for modern viewers by Cameron himself, T2 arrives November 23rd on 4K Ultra HD™ Steelbook from Lionsgate, exclusively at Best Buy. It has been 10 years since the events of Terminator. Sarah Connor’s ordeal is only just beginning as she struggles to protect her son, John — the future leader of the human resistance against the machines — from a new Terminator, sent back in time to eliminate him while he’s still a child. Sarah and John don’t have to face this terrifying threat alone, however. The human resistance has managed to send them an ally, a warrior from the future ordered to protect John Connor at any cost. The battle for tomorrow has begun. Featuring all new artwork from artist Orlando Arocena and Tracie Ching, T2 will be available on 4K Ultra HD™ Steelbook at Best Buy for the suggested retail price of $27.99.

BLU-RAY™ / DIGITAL HD SPECIAL FEATURES
  • *NEW* 55 minute T2 documentary featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger, James Cameron, Edward Furlong, and more.
  • 2 Deleted Scenes with Audio Commentary
  • 2 Feature Commentaries
  • “The Making of T2” 30-Minute Featurette
  • View 3 Different Versions of the Film
  • Trailers

CAST
Arnold Schwarzenegger The Terminator franchise, Total Recall, The Expendables franchise
Linda Hamilton Dante’s Peak, The Terminator, TV’s “Beauty and the Beast”
Edward Furlong American History X, Detroit Rock City, Pecker
Robert Patrick TV’s “Scorpion”, Walk the Line, TV’s “The X-Files”

PROGRAM INFORMATION
Year of Production:
Title Copyright: Terminator 2: Judgment Day ™ & © 1991 STUDIOCANAL. All Rights Reserved. Artwork & Supplementary Materials © 2019 Lions Gate Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terminator 2 ® is a registered trademark of STUDIOCANAL. Lionsgate,
Rating: R for strong sci-fi action and violence, and for language
Type: Catalog Re-Release
Genre: Action / Sci Fi
Closed-Captioning: N/A
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, and German subtitles
Feature Run Time: 137 minutes
4K Format: 2160p Ultra High Definition, 16x9 (2.40:1) Presentation
4K Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio™, French 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio™, German 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio™

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I take it this is still the same crappy transfer as last time?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I have the Skynet Edition, and the UHD. I kept the frustrating Skynet disc because the extended edition scenes in the BluRay that comes with my UHD look lousy- a pink tint on them.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Scrubbed- meaning grain removal?
Yes. The story is that a new 4K scan was commissioned by rights holder Studio Canal for the film's 3D conversion. The grain was then removed to aid in the conversion process, which is understandable. However, the pre-scrubbed 4k transfer was not used for the UHD release a few years back, and instead the scrubbed version was used.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Yes. The story is that a new 4K scan was commissioned by rights holder Studio Canal for the film's 3D conversion. The grain was then removed to aid in the conversion process, which is understandable. However, the pre-scrubbed 4k transfer was not used for the UHD release a few years back, and instead the scrubbed version was used.

The official statement from Studio Canal reads:

"Our 30th anniversary editions include the 2017 4K restoration overseen and approved by James Cameron."

The most optimistic reading of this could leave room for the possibility that Studio Canal might go back to the 4K scan and restoration work done before all the grain was removed for the 3D conversion.

Unfortunately, I don't have that much faith in Studio Canal. It seems more likely that this will be the same scrubbed master used previously, and that this is a CYA statement intended to pass the buck for deficiencies in the transfer being Cameron's fault, not theirs.

I guess we'll see which way it goes when the disc is released.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I didn't think James Cameron had time to "oversee and approve" transfers of his old films? Or is that because this was preparation for a 3D release, for which he may have made an exception?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The official statement from Studio Canal reads:

"Our 30th anniversary editions include the 2017 4K restoration overseen and approved by James Cameron."

The most optimistic reading of this could leave room for the possibility that Studio Canal might go back to the 4K scan and restoration work done before all the grain was removed for the 3D conversion.

Unfortunately, I don't have that much faith in Studio Canal. It seems more likely that this will be the same scrubbed master used previously, and that this is a CYA statement intended to pass the buck for deficiencies in the transfer being Cameron's fault, not theirs.

I guess we'll see which way it goes when the disc is released.
The only thing that's going to be new about this release is the steelbook packaging.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think James Cameron had time to "oversee and approve" transfers of his old films? Or is that because this was preparation for a 3D release, for which he may have made an exception?
I think he deals with T2 on video because those releases are happening whether he's involved or not. He's too big to ever work with Lion's Gate again so unlike the studios, LG doesn't have to cater to him which gives them the freedom to do whatever they want with that movie.

The same basic idea goes for The Terminator, Aliens, or Titanic. They were coming out on disc due to a sequel, a box set, or an anniversary/theatrical re-release so he was 'forced' to OK the transfer because it was coming out either way. The Abyss and True Lies have had nothing to force him to do anything with them.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I think he deals with T2 on video because those releases are happening whether he's involved or not. He's too big to ever work with Lion's Gate again so unlike the studios, LG doesn't have to cater to him which gives them the freedom to do whatever they want with that movie.

At this point, Studio Canal owns the movie. Lionsgate is just the North American distributor. The "restoration," disc authoring, etc. were all done by Studio Canal. The only thing Lionsgate may have a say in is what the American packaging will look like.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
He ain't working with Studio Canal again either. :)

Studio Canal is a huge entity in Europe and owns the third largest film library in the world. I don't think Cameron would snub his nose at them.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
I have the Skynet Edition, and the UHD. I kept the frustrating Skynet disc because the extended edition scenes in the BluRay that comes with my UHD look lousy- a pink tint on them.
Get the 2015 Blu-ray release from Lionsgate.

It's obviously the older HD master yet again, but this time it has far less DNR than the Skynet edition allowing the natural film grain to show through. The extended version is included and the added footage looks consistent with the theatrical cut. There's no bloated, slow as a tortoise menu system this time. Keep the Skynet version for the extras.

The same Gary Rydstrom 5.1 EX remixed track is on that 2015 disc, which was also used for the crappy 4k disc (and this new steelbook too).

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
It seems they are taking full advantage of the popularity of steelbooks with this release.

It will be interesting to see how many copies they will sell considering a lot of disk buyers are aware of the "revisionist" touches applied in the previous 4k release etc.

My guess is there will be plenty of buyers who will buy this without knowing the lack of quality applied to the release.

I am very interested to know what percentage of 4k disc buyers in general are aware of the quality of the 4k discs they purchase.

My guess is many will not know that in more than a few cases they would be better off buying the Blu Ray version instead assuming there is one available.

4k could take on a life of its own.

However, there have been many excellent releases so if we go by that it may be the case that many 4k buyers are knowledgeable and perhaps the disc sellers are aware of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks