What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
The editor in me compels me to point out that the movie's correct title is actually Terminator 2: Judgment Day, not "Judgement."
I'll fix the thread's title. The spelling of judgement is something I, too, always notice.

It drives me crazy that at nearly any Planet Fitness location (with their infamous "No Judgment Zone") it will be spell judgment half the time and judgement the other half. At least pick one and stick with it! :laugh:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'll fix the thread's title. The spelling of judgement is something I, too, always notice.

It drives me crazy that at nearly any Planet Fitness location (with their infamous "No Judgment Zone") it will be spell judgment half the time and judgement the other half. At least pick one and stick with it! :laugh:
PF says it meshes with their philosophy to keep the alternate spelling. :D
According to a spokesperson, “Spelling judgement with an ‘e’ started out as a mistake. Back in 1998 we considered changing it to the traditional spelling, but decided to keep it because it fit with our brand personality—we are judgment free on all matters, so what better way to demonstrate this than by keeping the original incorrect spelling.”

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Technically, both spellings are valid in either American or British English.

"Why are there two spellings?

Many think that the difference between judgement and judgment is that the longer version is the British spelling, whereas the shorter one is the US convention. While some claim that Noah Webster first recorded the spelling of judgment in his 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language, both sides of the pond have actually used the spelling judgment since the late 1600s.

Though judgement (with an e) has risen and fallen in popularity in British English, judgment remains the preferred spelling in British legal proceedings and appears more frequently in written work. Today, judgement is an accepted spelling in British English. But, if you stick to judgment, you won’t be judged in the UK or the US."

Nevertheless, as far as Terminator 2 is concerned, "Judgment" has always been the official spelling.

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
T2 is why I know how to properly spell "judgment". Even sadder is that Friday The 13th: A New Beginning is why I know how to spell "beginning". :laugh:

Whenever I get brain freeze and forget how many Ms and Rs "tomorrow" is supposed to have, I hear that annoying song from Annie in my head:

"The sun will come out, TOM-OR-ROW."

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Whenever I get brain freeze and forget how many Ms and Rs "tomorrow" is supposed to have, I hear that annoying song from Annie in my head:

"The sun will come out, TOM-OR-ROW."
... Don't look now 'cause
1634668230609.jpeg
1634668300451.jpeg
:D!

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
I’m sorry but that doesn’t really make sense. Studio Canal and Lionsgate are the rights holders, not licensees. The current master was created under the supervision of and approved by the filmmaker.

This is simply a case where the filmmaker’s preferences are different than that of a small portion of the audience, but that’s not cause to redo the work. The film looks and sounds as the people in charge of it want it to look and sound.

Why would they redo a product that came out as they intended it to?
There is strong evidence to support the theory that the 4k disc release was based on the 3D, de-grained version and not the 2D 4k restoration master. Cameron probably signed off on the theatrical 3D master and called it a day without even seeing the home video version Studio Canal so clearly botched.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
There is strong evidence to support the theory that the 4k disc release was based on the 3D, de-grained version and not the 2D 4k restoration master. Cameron probably signed off on the theatrical 3D master and called it a day without even seeing the home video version Studio Canal so clearly botched.
The argument can also be made that Cameron likes the "degrained" look, as grain was massaged for the Aliens Blu-ray master, and he shoots largely digitally now.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The argument can also be made that Cameron likes the "degrained" look, as grain was massaged for the Aliens Blu-ray master, and he shoots largely digitally now.

I recall reading an interview with Cameron around the time of the reissue specifically talking about how the movie now looked modern, as it might if he had shot it now. I really don’t think it’s an accident.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
If you are using Aliens as an example... it still has a lot of grain, it was grain reduced with some Lowry tweaking because the high speed negatives used at the time were not to Cameron's taste and they had heavy grain texture. T2 looks like wax works dummies. I wouldn't think that's what Cameron wanted.

No matter what... the 2015 version, warts and all, is about the most consistent of the Blu-ray releases thus far.

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
If you are using Aliens as an example... it still has a lot of grain, it was grain reduced with some Lowry tweaking because the high speed negatives used at the time were not to Cameron's taste and they had heavy grain texture.

Aliens was actually de-grained and then had fake grain added back on top after the rest of the processing was done.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Aliens was actually de-grained and then had fake grain added back on top after the rest of the processing was done.
Supposedly, the restoration software deletes what it considers grain from the image, stores the data, and then you can elect to add it back to the frame once dirt, scratch, and tear repair has been completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scromer17
Recent bookmarks