What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Avatar: The Way Of Water (4k UHD) (Digital) (2 Viewers)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
True Lies, we know that Cameron doesn't like the movie anymore and regrets making it.
He may regret some of the Arab stereotyping in the film but I seriously doubt he doesn’t like the film or regrets making it.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
He may regret some of the Arab stereotyping in the film but I seriously doubt he doesn’t like the film or regrets making it.

The only thing he's said on the record is that he can't look at the movie anymore since 9/11 and he regrets playing extremist terrorism for laughs.

Cameron stopped Fox from releasing an announced "Five Star Collection" DVD in the early 2000s and has pointedly neglected the movie on multiple occasions when the studio tried to get his sign-off on remastering it.

Read into that what you will, but it seems to me that he doesn't like the movie anymore.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You're basing this on what? The fact that he's made a conscious decision to sit on True Lies and The Abyss? True Lies, we know that Cameron doesn't like the movie anymore and regrets making it. I'm not sure what the hold-up with The Abyss is, but it's the only box office flop in his career and he may still have hard feelings about that.

Cameron has a very notorious reputation as a micro-managing control freak on all levels of his movies' production and release. Back in the day, he used to prepare separate widescreen and pan&scan home video transfers for each of his movies, reframed shot-by-shot for each format. He has it built into all of his contracts that any home video master for his films must receive his personal sign-off and approval (which is why Fox couldn't reissue True Lies and The Abyss without him). That's not a common thing in the industry. It's very specific to James Cameron. Somebody who doesn't care about home video wouldn't do that.
I'm basing it on 25 years plus of him not bothering to put any effort into releasing HD copies of some of a lot of his films. Maybe I should clarify. It is not that he doesn't care about home video at all. It is that he cares about his films are.presented and doesn't want poor home video releases; however, if it is a choice between working on a new theatrical film and supervising a video release of an old film then all his effort goes into the theatrical film.

There are no new releases of his films on home video, because he would want to supervise the release and right now preparing those releases is the last thing on his list of priorities, therefore he doesn't "care" about home video right now.

Maybe there will be more of his films getting better releases when he decides to "retire" and work on them. Until then, home releases are something he probably isn't even thinking about unless it is Avatar related.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I'm basing it on 25 years plus of him not bothering to put any effort into releasing HD copies of some of a lot of his films. Maybe I should clarify. It is not that he doesn't care about home video at all. It is that he cares about his films are.presented and doesn't want poor home video releases; however, if it is a choice between working on a new theatrical film and supervising a video release of an old film then all his effort goes into the theatrical film.

There are no new releases of his films on home video, because he would want to supervise the release and right now preparing those releases is the last thing on his list of priorities, therefore he doesn't "care" about home video right now.

Maybe there will be more of his films getting better releases when he decides to "retire" and work on them. Until then, home releases are something he probably isn't even thinking about unless it is Avatar related.

All of Cameron's movies except True Lies and The Abyss are available on Blu-ray. In the 13 years in between Avatar 1 and 2, he did find time to give his approval to new remasters of The Terminator, Aliens, Terminator 2 (both 4k and a 3D conversion), and Titanic (Blu-ray and a 3D conversion, 4K reportedly upcoming).

(The fact that T2 didn't turn out so great in 4K is disappointing, but that disc very much had Cameron's personal involvement and sign-off. The DNR was his own choice.)

To say that James Cameron "doesn't care about home video" is clearly false. If he didn't care about home video, he wouldn't demand personal oversight of the video editions of his movies. The only things he doesn't care about are The Abyss and True Lies specifically.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The interesting thing about the titles you mentioned:

Terminator and Terminator 2, Cameron doesn’t control the rights and the entities that do don’t particularly care about his feelings with regards to transfer approvals - MGM and StudioCanal know he’s never going to make a film for them so they don’t need to appease him. He participated because he was told it was happening with or without him.

Aliens happened because, although he had a good working relationship with Fox, they were putting out an Alien series box set in anticipation of Prometheus, with or without him, so he participated on their timeframe.

Titanic happened because his then-current passions were 3D and oceanic exploration, and it was an opportunity to use studio funding to work on something near and dear to his heart at the time. As his Oscar-winning film, he clearly holds it in a special place in his heart, rightfully so if you ask me.

Neither True Lies nor The Abyss had any external pressures to make either the studio or Cameron feel the kind of urgency needed to make them happen earlier. The studio wasn’t going to go ahead without Cameron, and he had other priorities he wasn’t going to drop without the studio imposing a deadline on him, which they weren’t going to do.

We’ve been over this a million times, though, in a million older threads. There’s no new insight to be gained here.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
All of Cameron's movies except True Lies and The Abyss are available on Blu-ray. In the 13 years in between Avatar 1 and 2, he did find time to give his approval to new remasters of The Terminator, Aliens, Terminator 2 (both 4k and a 3D conversion), and Titanic (Blu-ray and a 3D conversion, 4K reportedly upcoming).

(The fact that T2 didn't turn out so great in 4K is disappointing, but that disc very much had Cameron's personal involvement and sign-off. The DNR was his own choice.)

To say that James Cameron "doesn't care about home video" is clearly false. If he didn't care about home video, he wouldn't demand personal oversight of the video editions of his movies. The only things he doesn't care about are The Abyss and True Lies specifically.

Well I stand corrected. I should have checked into things a bit more before commenting , especially as to releases made and when.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
The interesting thing about the titles you mentioned:

Terminator and Terminator 2, Cameron doesn’t control the rights and the entities that do don’t particularly care about his feelings with regards to transfer approvals - MGM and StudioCanal know he’s never going to make a film for them so they don’t need to appease him. He participated because he was told it was happening with or without him.

Aliens happened because, although he had a good working relationship with Fox, they were putting out an Alien series box set in anticipation of Prometheus, with or without him, so he participated on their timeframe.

Regardless, the point is that he did participate, because he didn't want those movies to go out in home video editions he didn't personally approve. If he didn't care about home video at all, he could have waived his need to supervise the masters, or given a blanket blind sign-off.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t think it’s ever been a question of caring or not caring, but of how much and how big of a priority it was.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don’t think it’s ever been a question of caring or not caring, but of how much and how big of a priority it was.
I shouldn't have said he didn't care. I should have just said that being involved with home releases is low on his list of priorities since, as pointed out by JoshZ, Cameron likes to have control over how his movies are presented.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Noel,

That comment was completely unnecessary. In fact, it looks like one made out of desperation to win an argument.

Let's be very clear on something. The 3D format for the home, as far as the major studios are concerned, is dead.

The only reason we will get Avatar in 3D is the sheer strength of the movie and the director's power behind it. Make no mistake about it, if it were up to Disney alone, it would not happen. They were the first studio to drive the initial nail into the coffin of the format.

To sit here and think that Cameron will do 3D versions of his other films is just wishful thinking and I would bet you are pretty much the only person in this forum who thinks that is a realistic possibility.

So, you didn't get the answer you wanted and out of frustration, you fired off a "sorry you hate 3D so much" comment.

I have been a long proponent and cheerleader for the 3D format even before it became popular among home enthusiasts.

However, it became obvious that most consumers, then the studios and hardware manufacturers were no longer interested
in supporting the format. Fortunately, what's left are passionate efforts by the 3-D Film Archive to restore what remaining 3D titles are out there and release them to the public through boutique labels.

I'm not trying to be mean to you, but I think it's necessary to be realistic here about how much money Cameron or a studio is going to throw into upconverting catalog title(s) where the possibility of recouping that investment is very small.

Many of us who love the 3D format are still waiting for Universal's upconversion of JAWS which was released theatrically last year and to date has not been announced for home release.
Ron-
Nothing was completely more disrespectful and dismissive then to tell a poster “Good luck with that” and nothing else. Sorry you are so offended by something you don’t particularly agree with but nothing I posted was offensive as what you wrote.
Best,
Noel

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Seriously? Ron is the guy who originated the pinned thread about the best 3D Blu-rays.

And it's a bizarre stretch to view his realistic opinion that a 3D "Abyss" ain't gonna happen as indicative of his hatred toward the format.
Seriously? Like I was supposed to know that?

And no stretch giving that one line snarky answer to a post given to what I posted re a 3D conversion of The Abyss.
What is wrong with thinking The Abyss wouldn’t make a good candidate for a 3D conversion? It’s a far better candidate visually to me than Jaws even if it didn’t make the box office the shark film made and no one was clamoring for that conversion. Some of the best 3D films aren’t necessarily box office blockbusters and Cameron is heavily invested in the newest 3D technology.so not a far stretch but sure I’ll take The Abyss anyway I can get it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ron-
Nothing was completely more disrespectful and dismissive then to tell a poster “Good luck with that” and nothing else. Sorry you are so offended by something you don’t particularly agree with but nothing I posted was offensive as what you wrote.
Best,
Noel
I don't think Ron meant any disrespect. Just knowing the state of 3D on disc currently, he knows the odds are against us 3D fanatics. And they are.. especially for a film not on Blu-Ray yet.

And no stretch giving that one line snarky answer to a post given to what I posted re a 3D conversion of The Abyss.
What is wrong with thinking The Abyss wouldn’t make a good candidate for a 3D conversion? It’s a far better candidate visually to me than Jaws even if it didn’t make the box office the shark film made and no one was clamoring for that conversion. Some of the best 3D films aren’t necessarily box office blockbusters and Cameron is heavily invested in the newest 3D technology.so not a far stretch but sure I’ll take The Abyss anyway I can get it.
The Abyss would make an amazing 3D experience. Of all the films from James Cameron this would be my pick for a stellar 3D conversion.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah time to move on while you’ve dug so deeply. I’ve used GLWT on dozens of occasions when people want things that aren’t in the cards from studios or manufacturers. When RON uses it here, it really is an unlikely outcome.

And everyone in the thread needs to quit with the personal back and forth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks