What's new

Tenet (2020) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I think if theaters are shut down for the better part of a year, or have no big titles to play, many of them will not survive.

If the studios care about theaters, they need to provide big titles for them when they start to re-open, even if the major cities are excluded. Hopefully, even if the theaters are required to limit capacity, a big popular title may play to smaller audiences for a longer period of time.

Studios are experts at writing off losses, if necessary. Theaters are likely not as flexible, especially independents.
Either that or studios will buy up existing AMCs or Regals and next year, people will be seeing movies in Universal Theaters or DIsney Theaters or, as rumored, Amazon Theaters.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Either that or studios will buy up existing AMCs or Regals and next year, people will be seeing movies in Universal Theaters or DIsney Theaters or, as rumored, Amazon Theaters.
Without a vaccine, they are likely the only investors that would take a chance on buying and reopening theaters under attendance restrictions and the possiblity that they could be shut down again.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Hopefully, even if the theaters are required to limit capacity, a big popular title may play to smaller audiences for a longer period of time.

The other thing that it very possible is that we could see one or two big films taking up all the screens at multiplexes, especially if they are the first one back. So they could still get a relatively large total audience to come see the movie even if each auditorium is not working near it s full capacity.

My Cinemark has 20 screens in it.

Tenet could easily go on all of those if it opens first on July 17. Then, even if they give half to Mulan when that one is scheduled on Tenet's second weekend, that would still be ten screens each.

Even pre-coronavirus, the only movies that I ever see sell out here are opening nights of Avengers and Star Wars. So I think that if they put Tenet and Mulan on ten screens each in late July, that would be more than enough to satisfy demand even if all the screenings are under capacity

Whether it's a good idea to open them or not is another issue. But I think it could probably be done this way.

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one that feels that the COVID-19 discussion should be moved to the existing threads in After Hours Lounge? The discussion has veered from the movie to a "would you go..." discussion. I came here to talk about the movie.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one that feels that the COVID-19 discussion should be moved to the existing threads in After Hours Lounge? The discussion has veered from the movie to a "would you go..." discussion. I came here to talk about the movie.
As someone who is as guilty as anyone of doing that, I bring it in here because the release of the movie is absolutely intertwined with the pandemic so I consider it fair game for discussion.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
As someone who is as guilty as anyone of doing that, I bring it in here because the release of the movie is absolutely intertwined with the pandemic so I consider it fair game for discussion.
Exactly. It is 100% relevant to this discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks