What's new

WHV Press Release: Tenet (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tenet-4K.UHD_.and_.Blu-ray.Artwork.Collage.jpg

Text  Description automatically generated

ARRIVING ON 4K UHD BLU- RAY™ COMBO PACK, BLU-RAY™, DVD AND DIGITAL FROM

WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT

Burbank, CA, November 5 – “Tenet,” the must-see motion picture event, playing now on the big screen wherever theatres are open, will arrive on 4K, Blu Ray, DVD and Digital on December 15 in time for the holidays. Written, directed and produced by acclaimed filmmaker Christopher Nolan (“Inception,” “Dunkirk”), “Tenet” opened globally beginning in August 2020 and has grossed $350 million to date, with the much-anticipated theatrical openings in the major markets of New York and Los Angeles still to come. “Tenet” will be available to preorder from digital and physical retailers beginning November 10.

“Tenet” features an international ensemble cast led by John David Washington (“BlacKkKlansman,” TV’s “Ballers”) as the Protagonist. The film also stars Robert Pattinson (the “Twilight” films, “The Lighthouse,” upcoming “The Batman”), Elizabeth Debicki (“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” “The Great Gatsby”), Dimple Kapadia (“Angrezi Medium”), Martin Donovan (“Ant-Man,” “Fahrenheit 451”), Fiona Dourif (“Cult of Chucky”), Yuri Kolokolnikov (“The Hitman’s Bodyguard”), Himesh Patel (“Yesterday”), Clémence Poésy (“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows”), Aaron Taylor-Johnson (“The Avengers: Age of Ultron”), with Michael Caine (“Inception,” “The Cider House Rules,” “The Dark Knight”) and Kenneth Branagh (“Dunkirk,” “Murder on the Orient Express”).

The film was produced by Emma Thomas and Nolan. Thomas Hayslip served as executive producer.

Nolan’s behind-the-scenes creative team included director of photography Hoyte van Hoytema, production designer Nathan Crowley, editor Jennifer Lame, costume designer Jeffrey Kurland, visual effects supervisor Andrew Jackson and special effects supervisor Scott Fisher. The score is composed by Ludwig Göransson.

SYNOPSIS

Armed with only one word—Tenet—and fighting for the survival of the entire world, the Protagonist (John David Washington) journeys through a twilight world of international espionage on a mission that will unfold in something beyond real time. Not time travel. Inversion.

4K AND BLU-RAY AND DVD ELEMENTS

“Tenet” 4K UHD Combo Pack and Blu-ray contain the following special features:

• Looking at the World in a New Way: The Making of “Tenet” - An hour-long exploration of the development and production of the film as told by the cast and crew.
BASICS

PRODUCT SRP

4K UHD Combo Pack $44.95

Blu-ray $35.99

DVD $28.98

4K, Blu-ray, DVD and EST Street Date: December 15, 2020

Preorder date: November 10

DVD Languages: English, Latin Spanish, English-ADS, Canadian French

BD Languages: English, Latin Spanish, Canadian French, English-ADS, Brazilian Portuguese

DVD Subtitles: English SDH, Latin Spanish, Parisian French

BD Subtitles: English, Latin Spanish, Parisian French, Brazilian Portuguese

Running Time: 151 minutes

Rating: Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action, some suggestive references and brief strong language.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There will also be an exclusive steelbook version at Best Buy. Link below.

The press release does not say what the aspect ratio is going to be. Does anyone know? It's always a question with Nolan films because of him filming in IMAX. I heard that this was shot entirely in IMAX, so maybe it will get a consistent ratio instead ofs switching back and forth like Nolan's other films have done. But I don't know how accurate that is since I haven't seen the film.

I'm looking forward to buying this. It will be a blind purchase for me because I do not believe it is safe to attend theaters right now. I'm glad I don't have to wait too much longer to see this because I really hate missing it theatrically. I would be there for a Nolan film under any other circumstance than a deadly virus, but it's just not worth risking my health.

I'm trying to decide if I want to splurge on the steelbook or just get the regular version. Usually, I only get the steelbooks for favorite films of mine. Obviously, I don't know if Tenet qualifies as that because I haven't seen it. But it would look nice next to my steelbook for Interstellar from five years ago. Hmm.

Last edited:

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I saw the 70mm version in 2 London cinemas and it looked and sounded fab, the UHD should look great as welll

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The last time I posted in here I was debating whether or not to get the steelbook. I ultimately decided against paying more for that version. The majority of my collection is in keepcases and I have a handful of movies in steelbooks which I consider to be extra special. I expect that I'm going to enjoy Tenet, but even if I do, it's just going to be the Nolan movie I missed in theaters because it was pushed out the door in the midst of a global health crisis. This isn't a judgment on its quality at all, but means that there is no extra significance to it for me.

In comparison, I got to see Interstellar in IMAX 70mm on the largest screen in the state with a good friend of mine. I had a great experience with it there and think it is by far Nolan's best film that doesn't have Batman in it. So even though the steelbook doesn't allow me to recreate the 70mm IMAX experience of it, I do have fond memories of that and thought it was worth elevating that particular title to steelbook format in my collection. Here, I don't know what I will think about the film, but I know that I don't have any particular strong attachment to it from memories of a theatrical run I was forced to skip.

Anyway, I ultimately ordered the standard Blu-ray from Amazon and was surprised a couple of days ago when I received a notice indicating that it would not arrive until December 30. That's way late for an item being released on December 15. Today, I heard from a friend that their copy is in fact scheduled to be delivered on December 15. So I went to check on my order and saw that it still had December 30 listed. Out of curiosity, I placed a new copy of the exact same item into my cart and saw that the delivery date listed in checkout was December 15.

So I cancelled the original order and placed the new one for the exact same item and am now due to get it on time.

This makes no sense to me whatsoever at all. But I thought I would post here for the benefit of others who might be using Amazon. In case Amazon either hasn't sent you a delivery date yet, or sent you a late one, cancelling and re-ordering might bump your delivery date up to where it should be as well.

Edwin-S

Premium
It was a rather convoluted and disappointing film. This is one to rent before making a decision to purchase.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Been going back and forth as to whether I should blindly purchase Tenet on 4k.

It has been quite some time since I have heard such a contradiction of opinion for a single film.

I love Christopher Nolan, but I don't know how loyal I can be when the 4k is still selling for $30 and the SteelBook is $5 more on BestBuy.

What I am probably going to do is spend $20 for the digital release on December 15th.

The only downside to doing this is that I heard 80% of the film was shot in IMAX and generally digital copies do not preserve that ratio.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I am confidently expecting to receive Tenet 4k disc as a Christmas gift. I saw this at the cinema and as usual with a Chris Nolan film it requires more than one viewing as there is a lot going on. Should look spectacular in UHD.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

It has been quite some time since I have heard such a contradiction of opinion for a single film.

I love Christopher Nolan, but I don't know how loyal I can be when the 4k is still selling for $30 and the SteelBook is $5 more on BestBuy.

What I am probably going to do is spend $20 for the digital release on December 15th.

The only downside to doing this is that I heard 80% of the film was shot in IMAX and generally digital copies do not preserve that ratio.

Of course, the discs of "Tenet" won't preserve the original IMAX ratio either - they'll be 1.78:1, so better that 2.40:1 for the whole movie, but not the 65mm IMAX ratio...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But more information than the digital IMAX 1.90:1 presentation.

I haven’t seen Tenet but Nolan tends to shoot IMAX in a particular way (actually the way that the company itself recommends) where he frames the most important information in the middle third, and the bottom and top ends up being more loosely composed, more about presenting immersion than aesthetically perfect compositions. The idea is that in an IMAX theater, the viewer is most focused on that center area and the rest of the frame doesn’t need to be as precise.

If you look at the bonus features on the Dark Knight ultimate set, they present the 1.43:1 versions of the IMAX footage and there’s a ton of extra room at the bottom and top of the frame that doesn’t impart anything other than atmosphere. It’s brilliant in the proper venue but at home it doesn’t look quite right.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I only need two items of info.

Will the 4K disc be in imax ratio for any of the movie and what will the audio be on disc.

I’ll buy the disc if it includes imax and any audio that won’t be on a digital version.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Apparently the disc has started shipping and more details have leaked out. From what I’ve read and seen screenshotted, the Blu-ray version is in the IMAX ratio. I have to assume the 4K disc also is but I haven’t heard confirmation one way or the other. Audio on the BD is 5.1. From what I’ve read, Nolan doesn’t like Atmos so I don’t think the film was mixed in Atmos to begin with.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I understand Nolan's preference for the IMAX ratio and absolutely believe it should be presented on disc as he wishes. However, I wish that the Blu-rays would include both a shifting ratio version and the continuous scope version, which is a legitimate way to watch his films because that is how millions of multiplexes played them. When viewing on a relatively small television screen, the shifting ratios in his films tend to become more distracting than they would in a giant screen format like IMAX, especially if they switch back and forth multiple times within the same sequence. I haven't seen Tenet yet, and I will make the Blu-ray my first viewing. But it is too bad that both versions are usually not preserved on there to allow the viewer to choose.

I know that based on Nolan's other films, if I want the consistent ratio version, I could watch either the digital copy streaming or the DVD. But I think the choice of ratio on the Blu-ray would be valid. It isn't like the consistent ratio is something Nolan hasn't approved, since he knows all theaters that aren't IMAX will show it that way, so he must be involved in approving the framing for both versions.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Buy it.

I saw it at the local pop-up drive-in. It's no Inception. But it was a thrilling, unexpected, and novel time-travel movie. I've got it on my christmas list and look froward to watching again, and checking out the special features.

It's not Nolan's best movie. It's not the best time-travel movie in recent years. But it's neat and I think worth a blind-buy if you're a fan of the director or the genre. :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I am blind buying it because I don't feel comfortable attending in theaters during the pandemic. I own seven other Nolan films and consider myself a fan of him. Based on this, I think it is likely enough that I will like it for me to be comfortable with a blind buy.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I understand Nolan's preference for the IMAX ratio and absolutely believe it should be presented on disc as he wishes. However, I wish that the Blu-rays would include both a shifting ratio version and the continuous scope version, which is a legitimate way to watch his films because that is how millions of multiplexes played them. When viewing on a relatively small television screen, the shifting ratios in his films tend to become more distracting than they would in a giant screen format like IMAX, especially if they switch back and forth multiple times within the same sequence. I haven't seen Tenet yet, and I will make the Blu-ray my first viewing. But it is too bad that both versions are usually not preserved on there to allow the viewer to choose.

I know that based on Nolan's other films, if I want the consistent ratio version, I could watch either the digital copy streaming or the DVD. But I think the choice of ratio on the Blu-ray would be valid. It isn't like the consistent ratio is something Nolan hasn't approved, since he knows all theaters that aren't IMAX will show it that way, so he must be involved in approving the framing for both versions.

Nolan views the physical BD and UHD versions as being equivalent to IMAX for home viewing, and considers streaming and standard definition to be the equivalent of conventional theatrical presentations. Whether or not one agrees, that’s the thinking behind that choice.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It shifted between IMAX and standard 70mm (1.2:1) when I saw it in IMAX. No idea what the disc is.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Every Nolan IMAX movie has had shifting ratios on BD and 4K.

Not sure why people seem to think that'll be different this time! :unsure:

In any case, I have a shipment from Warner coming today and I suspect it's "Tenet".

So I'll solve all this "suspense" soon! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seann Luopa