What's new

SVS Subs!!! Are they really that good??? (1 Viewer)

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
This thread has gone just about nowhere after half way through page one...which is typical of SVS threads. Someone disagrees and all the bandwagon riders jump on them. There are other options out there, even Ron and Tom say that! Get over yourselves guys...
No...the guy was bashing SVS as being a non-audiophile,mail order product, marketed to the "philistines" who have never properly calibrated and setup a system. So, of course the banter will be spirited.

Everyone need a champion;)

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
you're implying those who are buying online are sheeps and not doing any serious research
to some extent that is what I am saying. The only research that really matters is being done after money has changed hands.

ALL SVS OWNERS like to point out how loud it gets. Most people don’t seem to know that if you can hear your sub, it is to loud! When I turn my system up to reference it is way to loud. We are talking around 109db of ear crushing pressure. In a properly tuned system more bass is irrelevant. Most people need less not more. How deep it goes and how accurate it is are much more important than how loud it gets

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Well, if you consider serious research to be in home auditions before buying then he's right. It's all about point of view. And I don't see where SVS is called a non audiophile mail order company. In fact, he is talking about SVS OWNERS! Not the company.

terence

Supporting Actor
In fact, he is talking about SVS OWNERS! Not the company.
The owners are asked for their veiws on the sub and sub only, but guess what? A lot of SVS owners subs are properly calibrated including mine, and SVS owners do talk about how their subs don't draw attention to them selves, how accuarete they are, and how musical they are. When and SVS owner is talking about how loud the sub plays, he-she is excited about how the sub performs at high volumes with low distortion, clean, controlled right below reference and at reference volumes to give one a idea of what it can do.

Oh....so i guess it's fine to attack the owners but not the company. Gee glad you cleared that up two wrongs make a right.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I have not had the sub to try out that is mentioned above (the B-15) but have tried many in my home. I have had duals, some pretty high end stuff, smaller stuff that claimed it could do the larger sounds... ie Carver and such......The biggest Klipsch and the list goes on. What I just received two weeks ago is an SVS PB2+.. It is by far the best sounding sub for both music and movies that I have had yet... period end of story, plus it was cheaper. I almost didn't get one as I thought the price was too cheap. (I now wish I would have waited until now as they have colors other than black now to match your furniture) I did not even know about SVS until about 10 months ago when I started reading about them on the AVS forum. Nothing beats a home trial in your own setting but also nothing beats doing research where you find 99% of buyers from a company that sing their praises and would buy from them again. I have exchanged emails with Ron at SVS with questions that were answered within a day. What else could one ask for. I am a happy camper. I am no electronic expert but I do like my HT gear!!!! Also I love to see companies that take care of their customers. If these subs were offered at your local stereo shops they would quit carrying anything else as one demo would demolish the competition.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Hey, all I was saying was that he wasn't attacking SVS which many people were saying he did. I'm pointing out that you guys are choosing to see what you want to see, not what is actually there. Another example is:

ALL SVS OWNERS like to point out how loud it gets.
That is a true statement. In fact, just about ALL owners of GOOD subs like to point this out. I do not see where he said "ALL SVS OWNERS do not know how to calibrate their system." Nor do I see where anything he said was an "attack." Are some of you guys really so thin skinned as to be insulted so easily? Sheesh...

Oh, and I guess I'll keep signing my posts:

- Dan "Owns TWO SVS subs" Hine

I wouldn't want to be accused of "attacking" SVS owners.

Pretty crazy that as soon as you have a sub that does or doesn't perform, that you automatically have to answer the "is it set up properly?" question. Or even worse "yeah, but wait till it's broken in"....if it soundas like crap the first day, is it really going to be a dream after a week?? Whil eI have no proof that break-in does or doesn exist, I do know that it isn't a huge factor....if you hate it the first minute, it won't be your dream sub next week.

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I am the owner of the first PB2 Ultra. In the quest for reference bass in a 8500x3 room I have had numerous subs and demoed even more. The B15 was one that I demoed plus the Aerial sub. I have had a Paradigm Servo 15, a 2200, a HGS 15. I was talked into buying a Von Schweikert S/3 which is a very accurate sub for music and HT. Alberts company being a quasi audiophile speaker MFG.:) I coupled this sub with the Servo 15 and the bass was very quick and tight the spl's were very good but I still felt I wasn't getting that hair raising feel it in your chest bass. I spent many hours with Tom on the phone and e-mails trying to get reference bass in this huge area. I considered the Everest with the Tumult driver and several others but settled on the PB2+. I was happy with the decision but then one afternoon I received a call from Tom wanting to know if I would like to Beta test the Ultra? This is like asking if you want to decline the lottery if you won it. Next thing I know I am not shopping and trying to upgrade to get reference bass. This sub is the last sub I will need for a while. I have spent almost 2 months with the Ultra and have to say its the equivalent of the Aerial and the S/3 for its musical ability. Were it leaves other subs behind is its ability to give me very clean no distortion kick you in the chest bass at reference levels. With the Ultra and the S/3 running in tandem and corner loaded I have finally reached bass nirvana after 7 years of shopping and upgrading. Kudos to Tom and Ron on providing outstanding products at Reference prices.

Steve

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Jess its about 100 miles North of Houston on Highway 59. Right next to Lufkin. No problem let me know when you want to come for a demo and well crank her up!
Steve:D

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
What I got from Eric's posts was....even though SVS might be good they really shouldn't be considered because they are a internet only firm that can not possibly compete with the big boys. Additionally only B&M stores are appropriate because you can demo in store and easily take it home to demo for roughly the cost of gas.

Eric is under the assumption that there is only one correct way to buy equipment (In store demos). Granted, it might better but not necessarily the best of correct way for everyone. Some of us live way out in the sticks far away from stores others simply write checks to professionals to choose and install equipment without every hearing it firsthand.

Bottom line, ANY company with a customer approval like SVS should be strongly considered. Especially when you factor in performance to cost value.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Man, reading this thread gives me a headache! The question is are they really THAT good....Yes, they are...dollar wise, you are getting a helluva lot for it...it is a bargain, and svs takes pride in offering us something I know I cannot touch in my area...a awesome sub at a great price...and knowledge in other fields to help make my HT the best it can be. If someone has this Revel nearby, I'd be glad to do a comparison in my HT..and put it up against the SVS.

coming back to this quote earlier --->

"More time effort and experience has gone into the b15 than subs that cost twice as much. Svs does not have the tools or the man power to hang with revel."

In this quote, I get the inclin that you need a lot of time/tools to make a fine sub...well, SVS must really know what they are doing because it takes, (according to this quote or am I reading between the lines?) them less time, and far less manpower to make a amazing sub(If Revel and others need the time..as this quote makes it out to be)...If you can make what people want now, you'll sell it...it may be outdated if ya take too long:)

Overall, hey, if ya don't like SVS..even though you haven't heard it, your the one missing out....why not give it a try for 30 bucks shipping...? Its all in what you like...some bass heads like boom boom bamm...if ya do...then steer clear of svs:)

On the quote of 109 dbs, and all anyone talks about is how loud it goes....----> well, my system is setup to FEEL 120+ db's...and cut when the scene is over...i know my TV feels it, as I can see rippling on the screen:) Loud, yes, at reference, everything is loud...but the bass you can feel...a good kick in the chops! I look forward to new movies as those "suprises" arise where you don't know its coming, and it makes ya shutter when it does...that alone is worth it:)

JerryCulp

Stunt Coordinator
quote:

----------------------------------------------------------
ALL SVS OWNERS like to point out how loud it gets.
----------------------------------------------------------

Well, if I had something that would give me measurable values on the richter scale, I would use that. :)

Lacking a better description, how loud it gets is about what I can report. To me loudness is measured by my ears until it quits sounding like music or effects and becomes noise. I suspect that many others feel the same way.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Usually Dan is "on the mark"...just not this time. Eric is diminishing Internet companies as pedaling "mail order woofers"...not the most complimentary adjectives to describe drivers such as Tumult, TV-12, or Styke offerings!...But they are mail order!!yadayadayada...and the beat goes on....

Also his(Eric's) comment about SVS owners and their preoccupation solely with SPL's does attempt to disparage those of us that go to great pains to setup their systems.

And of course...the R&D gibberish...well Carver(for example) can R&D until pigs fly and the Sunfire still will not hang with a PB2+, VTF-3, Denali,SVS whatever,Stryke 15.2,etc.

This thread would have died ages ago if Dan hadn't established himself as Eric's official champion....which is not a bad thing! He may be correct...I am a rabid SVS,biased,cult follower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just don't want to spend my childrens inheritance on it.
:D

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
This thread would have died ages ago if Dan hadn't established himself as Eric's official champion
I have no desire to be Eric's "official champion." I just couldn't sit by and watch 20 or so people blast him for brand bias when, as I said before, SVS owners are the most biased of the bunch (well, except for maybe Rocket owners). If you look closely you'll see that Eric was actually just defending his stance...and got flustered and made comments that were probably not well thought out.

And I continue to see posts saying "yes they are that good." That is not necessarily true. For some people they are not the right sub and in that case they are not "that good." It's the blanket statements that drive me nuts...that and drooling over textured black finishes. ;) Hopefully Ralph will like his sub though.

- Dan

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Quote:

You know what I like the best....Eric is ignoring us...which is also a good thing!
----------------------

I just think Eric has learned the error of his ways. ;)

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Dan,
I totally agree with you! But I have too much time on my hands to quit chiming in....I love fanning the flames :b

ps...I do follow your post closely over at DIY..been helpful!

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
2 of eric's posts :

Eric, please clarify something for me. On the one hand, you say that ordering a subwoofer online is a bad idea because you've never heard it. On the other hand, you would not buy a product that you could not test in your home for a certain period of time. However, SVS does allow you to return the sub within 45 days if it does not satisfy your expectations. How is this any different than taking a subwoofer from a B&M store, using it for a week, and then returning it?
Jeffery's question goes to the heart of this conflict, and I would like to see Eric respond to it. I have made about 20 internet audio purchases, and returned items 3 times- twice because of defects and once because of unsatisfacory performance. Returning these items is actually easier and faster than returning to a store. You put it back in the box, make a phone call and leave it by the door. This is literally a 5 minute process. No round trip to the store, lugging the box across the parking lot, standing in line, dealing with the glare of the store employees, resisting sales pitches for upgrades etc. If you believe, as Eric has said he does, that in home audition is the only way to make a purchase decision, then internet mail is at least as good as B & M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks