What's new

SVS Subs!!! Are they really that good??? (1 Viewer)

Ralph Duf

Auditioning
While ready the thread "What Speakers Do You Own?" posted on January last year. I realize that 2 people out of 5 have or considering having an SVS Sub. Right now, I looking for a good sub under the 600$ USD. I personally never had the chance to ear one (SVS). Am I really missing the boat here, are they really THAT GREAT???? Or they are just ok for the price?

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I never considered one :)

But then again I knew all along I was building my own..
If I was going to "buy" a sub.. Yeah I would probably
consider them.

Martice

Screenwriter
I heard them on a couple of occassions now and they were really good. Although I don't own one, if you didn't want to go with a custom built sub or build your own, I would recommend them in a minute along with Adire Audio and HSU. This is the right place to come to if you want excellent quality bass at surprisingly low prices.

Good Luck

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
While speakers are very subjective to trends on the various discussion forums, subwoofers are less so. If you and I were sitting next to each other hearing the same speakers, we might completely disagree with how good a set of speakers sounds. We would be much less likely to do so with a subwoofer (excluding circumstances where one of us was sitting in a null, but that's the kind of thing that's more room-related than subwoofer-related). While SVS is very popular on the forums (as are Hsu and a few other great subs) they're just plain low, loud, have very low distortion, and come with customer service you wouldn't believe -- things that don't go the way of trends. Are they really that good, especially for the money? No. They're better. You'll have to hear it to believe it.

-Robb

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
A home theater system without an SVS is like a hot rod without wheels.

I wouldn't give my 16-46PC+ up for anything.

JerryCulp

Stunt Coordinator
My impression is that my 20-39pci is great! Accurate sounding, and louder than I can stand.
My wifes impression is that our floor is going to collapse! :)

Arthur Vino

Stunt Coordinator
all I have to say is my pb2-plus is on the way, and it will be my first SVS sub...
tons of ecoustics.com reviews - none were negative and pretty much all of them were AMAZING in the reviews, especially for the price..
ecoustics is like search engine for AV stuff reviews..

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I'd like to pick up an SVS sub, but since I live in a 2nd floor apartment I don't think it would be a good idea. No since in getting one if I can't really let it loose.

MikeSta

Auditioning
I read on another board that SVS is going to be coming out with a $300-500 rage sub shortly. How, when, why...

Who knows if it is true but from what I have read, for those of us on a tight budget but looking for an SVS, we might be in luck.

Ralph Duf

Auditioning
Ok I get the picture 20-39 pci is on the way.
Never heard one but still gone buy one.

PS: Sorry of offending all the SVS lovers out there,
And with a good chance I'll be assimilated to pretty soon.
Guess is résistance is futile. :D

Eric_Strickl

Stunt Coordinator
Ralph I imagine they are great subs but i dont understand buying something you have never heard? Mail order woofers are just a bad idea my mind. By the time it arrives in the mail you have read all of the reviews and gotten yourself all hyped up. Which in my opinion makes it impossible to be objective about the sub. Please dont lynch me svs owners it is just my opinion.

While speakers are very subjective to trends on the various discussion forums, subwoofers are less so.
I could not disagree more i find it to be the other way around. I have not been with htf for very long but i did quickly notice that svs subs seem to be the trend around here.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Eric,

I could not disagree more i find it to be the other way around
I do not understand where you are comming from. With subs, there are ONLY 3 issues.

1) How low will it go
2) How loud will it go
3) Freedom from harmonic distorsion

With main speakers, there is sibilance, timbre, time alignment of drivers, phaseing problems, breakup modes, port effects, baffel step compensation, on vs off axis performance etc.

If your point is that subs must be auditioned in an establishment, this is nonsense. With deep bass, the characteristics of the room become so important that you are really auditioning the showroom-sub combo, not the sub. It will sound totally different in your room.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Mail order woofers are just a bad idea my mind. By the time it arrives in the mail you have read all of the reviews and gotten yourself all hyped up. Which in my opinion makes it impossible to be objective about the sub. Please dont lynch me svs owners it is just my opinion.
No lynching here. But SVS DOES give you a 45 day no questions asked money back guarantee. All you pay is shipping; they even arrange for the pick-up. 45 days is a long time for hype to subside and reality to set in. HSU (another internet only company) offers a similar 30 day policy.

One could always purchase a competitor's sub at the same time and return the loser for credit before the billing cycle is up on the credit card (which can be almost 60 days if you time it right).

Ralph Duf

Auditioning
Yes! It true ordering something I never heard of could be risky. I check the warranty and it good enough for me.
The only think I can loose is the shipping money. But to know if what people say it true about SVS I'm ready the gamble that 40$ shipping.

"45 day money back guarantee.

If you are not completely satisfied with the performance of your subwoofer, return it to us for a full refund of the purchase price. Just a few minor stipulations should you choose to do this:

Subwoofer must be returned in original shipping boxes.
E-mail SVS for a return authorization number and display this on the outside of the box.
Subwoofer must be insured during return shipping.
Shipping costs are not refundable."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks