What's new

From 2 x original SVS CS subs to 1 x Rythmik FV18 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
Long time lurker here, been away from home theater for a few years.

I bought SVS CS subs (serial numbers 75 and 76) over 20 years ago, when SVS was just starting out on this forum. I had a disaster occur a couple years ago (house flooded), and unloaded some of the undamaged gear including this pair of subs. I have been running without a sub since then. Paradigm Studio 60 v3 mains and CC470 v3 center. Studio 20s for surrounds.

I have a 20x17x9' room. Its open on 2 sides, windows on one side. Wood floors on concrete slab.

I am ready to get back in, but it appears SVS is no longer run by the same people, so I decided to try something different.

I have always preferred dual subs, but went with a single Rythmik FV18. It is unlikely but possible I would add another (hopefully one will be enough).

I have an old Pioneer VSX-1124 receiver which has room correction and the ability to EQ the sub.

Since I have been away from home-theater, it looks like room correction has come a long way. REW, MiniDSP, Dirac etc. Is my receiver, with sub EQ, good enough to get things dialed in?

The new sub is on a truck headed my way. Looking forward to hearing bass again.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
From what I hear, you’ll probably be happy with the Rythmik. And while it’s true that SVS has different owners, the products have only gotten better and customer service has not decreased a bit.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I have received the Rythmik FV18. Its massive and heavy, was a pain to move around. Furniture sliders were a big help.

There are only 2 positions in my room that I can put the sub. In a front corner next to the left speaker, or in the rear-left corner.

I tried front-left first, and there were massive nulls at 60/80/100hz, along with some other issues. The sub didnt sound very good in this location, it was boomy on some scenes and too quiet on others.

Moving to the rear-left corner removed all the nulls. But the response was still not great. A big peak at 20hz, and another big boost between 40-60hz. Sounded better, but I was not happy with it.

I tried smoothing out the response using the 1-band PEQ provided on the FV18. It helped a bit, but 1-band isnt enough to smooth out the response across the whole range.

So I ended up adding a MiniDSP 2x4HD. This has transformed the sub. Took about 10 minutes of fiddling with REW and MiniDSP. The result is a very flat response. It is within +/-5db from 12-95hz, and within +/-3db from 13-85hz. The boominess is gone, it just sounds so much better.

I could probably improve it further, REW is pretty complex and I am not sure exactly how to set all the parameters when doing the EQ setup. But the result so far is very impressive.

I attached a screenshot showing the before and after results (measured with umik-1 / REW). Red line is before miniDSP, green line is after.

I am going to keep messing with it and try to smooth out the jitters between 60-80hz, and the slight dip at 35hz.

Attachments

• MiniDSP.png
    MiniDSP.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 63

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
If that measurement is at the main listening position that's pretty darn good as it is. I think you'll end up liking the FV18, I reviewed one a few years back so I know the thing is a beast.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'd echo @Clinton McClure 's comments regarding SVS but it sounds like you're gonna have excellent performance with what you've achieved with the MiniDSP.

Congrats! Nothing like strong, authoritative BASS!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks