What's new

Final decisions on bill of materials (1 Viewer)

Colin

Owner
Real Name
Colin
Hey hardware experts! You all have been really helpful so far on my 2v4 Atmos thread and I'm coming down to my final decisions on the buildout. So as @Sam Posten says, help me spend some money!

What's Decided/ordered:
  • Main Speakers: SVS Ultra Surround -7 speaker setup (the surrounds are both side and rear surrounds in one, bringing me to 7 channels). I already have these so please don't suggest different speakers. :emoji_laughing:
  • Subs: 2 x SVS 3000 In-Wall Subwoofers - I'll be reviewing these for HTF and expect for them to not disappoint, though I do have 2 awesome reference 12" subs if I don't want to stick with the in-wall speakers. But fingers crossed that they live up to everything I've read so far.
  • Room Treatment: I've built room treatment before with rockwool, acoustically transparent cloth, and plywood. It came out really nicely for my office, so I plan to do this again to help deaden the room. And @Jonathan has some bass traps I can try if I'm having issues there.
What's 95% Decided:
What's Undecided:
  • Receiver: I'm leaning heavily towards the Sony STR-AZ5000ES (11.2). Robert Zohn suggested I consider the AZ7000ES (13.2), but to be honest, the AZ5000ES is already double what I was hoping to spend on a receiver. But as I talked myself into 7.2.4, I realized I needed an 11 channel receiver. And the reviews of the AZ5000ES are awesome. Tell me if I'm making a mistake here.
  • Blu-Ray Player: I would prefer to use our PS5 - This was my gift to my kids for getting good grades, so we already own it. I know there may be a better disc player, but with how much I'm spending on everything else, I'd prefer to not buy another piece of hardware if I can avoid it.
  • Screen: I'm going to take the advice of @Josh Steinberg and get the projector first, then order the screen once I've nailed down the exact size we want. But I'm open to advice on what to get. The scope creep of the project is already a couple thousand dollars above what I had in mind, so I'd rather not break the bank on a screen. But also don't want to buy something that will unnecessarily diminish the video quality.
  • Getting the HDMI from Projector to Receiver: The plan is to have receiver, subwoofer amp, disc player, and center channel on a smaller console under the projector screen. I'll already be running wiring in the ceiling for the Atmos, so I can also run an HDMI. But my understanding is I may have issues with a longer HDMI. Do I need an optical HDMI cable? Or a powered HDMI extender?
I'd love some feedback, both on helping with these final decisions as well as what I may be missing.

Thanks in advance!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My only comment is I'm a little skeptical about the "Duet Mode" of the SVS Ultra surround speakers. It's not a big deal though, because you always have the option of adding a second pair for real 7.1. I'm not saying you'll be unhappy with them in that mode, but you won't know what you're missing compared to actual rear surround speakers. What you don't know won't hurt you, either.

I do suggest at least trying them in bipole (not dipole) mode wired as 5.1, just for comparison. Since your room doesn't really lend itself to rear surrounds, one of those two options is probably best.

Colin

Owner
Real Name
Colin
My only comment is I'm a little skeptical about the "Duet Mode" of the SVS Ultra surround speakers. It's not a big deal though, because you always have the option of adding a second pair for real 7.1. I'm not saying you'll be unhappy with them in that mode, but you won't know what you're missing compared to actual rear surround speakers. What you don't know won't hurt you, either.

I do suggest at least trying them in bipole (not dipole) mode wired as 5.1, just for comparison. Since your room doesn't really lend itself to rear surrounds, one of those two options is probably best.
That’s great advice. I’ll test them in both bipolar and dipole and see what sounds better. I could theoretically add some elevation speakers down the road for rear surrounds but I’m hoping to be satisfied with the ultra surrounds. But upgrading from 3.2, I imagine I’ll be happy.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
If your run will be over 20 ft I'd definitely go with a fiber HDMI cable rated for HDMI 2.1 and in-wall use. Acquire it from a trusted source with a rock solid return policy. Come to think of it, I'd do that regardless of the anticipated length.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That’s great advice. I’ll test them in both bipolar and dipole and see what sounds better. I could theoretically add some elevation speakers down the road for rear surrounds but I’m hoping to be satisfied with the ultra surrounds. But upgrading from 3.2, I imagine I’ll be happy.
My post was a little confusing. I don’t recommend dipole. I expect either bipole or duet mode will be best.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I’m on travel today but will add thoughts tomorrow.

I personally only use and recommend Denon receivers tho, so that will be my main advice. They are comparatively expensive because they are worth it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m on travel today but will add thoughts tomorrow.

I personally only use and recommend Denon receivers tho, so that will be my main advice. They are comparatively expensive because they are worth it.
I tend to agree. They aren’t perfect, but Denon (and Marantz) have a long reputation of just working and lasting.

sinisanav

Agent
Real Name
Sinisa Vujkovic
No problem.

But quick question to anyone else: How do you feel about the Sony STR-AZ5000ES vs Denon AVR-X6700H? It's a significant price jump. I found this comparison on B&H, and can't figure out if the additional features of the Denon are worth a 50% higher price.
I also have Denon in family room, so lesser setup, but given the quality, ease of use, setup etc and working well for 7 years now I would say Denon... Yeah, I know, price... main thing I saved a lot of money was speakers, as I got all mine through second hand market, speakers are things that last long and are not prone to upgrade needs as electronics are due to changes in standards. So, your SVS speakers should do you good for next 20 years.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I have the older 6500 and wouldn't trade it for the world, except to a newer model. It is a workhorse that does Atmos 7.1.4 great for me. I've actually held off on upgrading the video side of things in the basement because I'll want an HDMI 2.1 solution that the 6500 can't do.

Going down the list:
  • Main Speakers: SVS Ultra Surround -7 speaker setup (the surrounds are both side and rear surrounds in one, bringing me to 7 channels). I already have these so please don't suggest different speakers. :emoji_laughing:
OK, no tempting you to change!

• Subs: 2 x SVS 3000 In-Wall Subwoofers - I'll be reviewing these for HTF and expect for them to not disappoint, though I do have 2 awesome reference 12" subs if I don't want to stick with the in-wall speakers. But fingers crossed that they live up to everything I've read so far.
I've never heard in wall subs but expect floor standers to perform better, without any scientific reason why. But once locked in the wall they are very hard to change.

• Room Treatment: I've built room treatment before with rockwool, acoustically transparent cloth, and plywood. It came out really nicely for my office, so I plan to do this again to help deaden the room. And @Jonathan has some bass traps I can try if I'm having issues there.
Not my area of expertise. Paging @Dave Upton

• Projector: Sony XW5000ES - I was going to get the Epson LS12000, but after talking with Robert Zohn, I've decided to switch to the Sony. It has a much better lens.
I personally have my eye on the eventual replacement for the JVCs but won't talk you out of the Sony or Epson. Be prepared for HDR to not have the impact that OLED gets you. This is really holding me back on making any upgrades over my 2017 era JVC which is great.

• Atmos: 4x RSL C34E MKII EDGELESS In-Ceiling Speakers
Never hoid of em.

• Receiver: I'm leaning heavily towards the Sony STR-AZ5000ES (11.2). Robert Zohn suggested I consider the AZ7000ES (13.2), but to be honest, the AZ5000ES is already double what I was hoping to spend on a receiver. But as I talked myself into 7.2.4, I realized I needed an 11 channel receiver. And the reviews of the AZ5000ES are awesome. Tell me if I'm making a mistake here.
Denon gets my vote, as above.

• Blu-Ray Player: I would prefer to use our PS5 - This was my gift to my kids for getting good grades, so we already own it. I know there may be a better disc player, but with how much I'm spending on everything else, I'd prefer to not buy another piece of hardware if I can avoid it.
Go with the PS5 to start with and then if you reaaallly want a deck get it. The Panasonics had some tone mapping features other decks don't have, not sure if that is still true.

• Screen: I'm going to take the advice of @Josh Steinberg and get the projector first, then order the screen once I've nailed down the exact size we want. But I'm open to advice on what to get. The scope creep of the project is already a couple thousand dollars above what I had in mind, so I'd rather not break the bank on a screen. But also don't want to buy something that will unnecessarily diminish the video quality.
I have a cheap Elite screen off Amazon. I got quoted a top of the line is stewart and it's close to $4k. The lizard brain wants it, the realist says that's money that could be put towards a better projector or bigger OLED.

• Getting the HDMI from Projector to Receiver: The plan is to have receiver, subwoofer amp, disc player, and center channel on a smaller console under the projector screen. I'll already be running wiring in the ceiling for the Atmos, so I can also run an HDMI. But my understanding is I may have issues with a longer HDMI. Do I need an optical HDMI cable? Or a powered HDMI extender?
Optical HDMI all the way.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hey hardware experts! You all have been really helpful so far on my 2v4 Atmos thread and I'm coming down to my final decisions on the buildout. So as @Sam Posten says, help me spend some money!

What's Decided/ordered:

What's 95% Decided:
  • Projector: Sony XW5000ES - I was going to get the Epson LS12000, but after talking with Robert Zohn, I've decided to switch to the Sony. It has a much better lens.
1) I missed the background: why are you getting in-wall subs if you’re otherwise using full size, free-standing speakers?

2) Get the Epson LS1200 or the JVC NZ7. Don’t get the Sony. Sony hasn’t demonstrated they’ve fixed their SXRD panel degradation problem. And if they haven’t, in a year or three you’ll have a $6000 projector with a black floor and contrast ratio of something worse than the $4000 Epson LS11000.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What's Undecided:

Order material samples to compare. I’ve got samples for Silver Ticket, Dream Screen, and XY Screen. Along with my current SI Maestro screen. There are differences, maybe subtle or not depending on your tastes. Stewart is great. But they are priced accordingly.
Not a problem. Lots of good, active 8K HDMI cables now. I’ve got two of these in 50 ft lengths.

phoossno Certified 8K HDMI 2.1 Fiber Optical Cable, 10K Ultra High Speed HDMI Gen2 5m 16.5ft 48Gbps 4K@120Hz 8K@120Hz 10K@120Hz, eARC Dolby Vision Atmos HDR10

Last edited:

Colin

Owner
Real Name
Colin
Order material samples to compare. I’ve got shoes for Silver Ticket, Dream Screen, and XY Screen. Along with my current SI Maestro screen. There are differences, maybe subtle or not depending on your tastes. Stewart is great. But they are priced accordingly.

Not a problem. Lots of good, active 8K HDMI cables now. I’ve got two of these in 50 ft lengths.

phoossno Certified 8K HDMI 2.1 Fiber Optical Cable, 10K Ultra High Speed HDMI Gen2 5m 16.5ft 48Gbps 4K@120Hz 8K@120Hz 10K@120Hz, eARC Dolby Vision Atmos HDR10

Perfect.

Colin

Owner
Real Name
Colin
1) I missed the background: why are you getting in-wall subs if you’re otherwise using full size, free-standing speakers?

2) Get the Epson LS1200 or the JVC NZ7. Don’t get the Sony. Sony hasn’t demonstrated they’ve fixed their SXRD panel degradation problem. And if they haven’t, in a year or three you’ll have a $6000 projector with a black floor and contrast ratio of something worse than the $4000 Epson LS11000.
I'll be reviewing them for SVS, but everything I've read about them sounds great. If they don't live up to the hype, I have a pair of 12" reference level subs that will work nicely. But I love the idea of the in-wall subs for the room, since space is already at a premium.

I'll read up on the Sony SXRD panel degradation problem. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
ALR is better in lighted rooms, and better contrast for dark theater viewing. Not the best for 3D viewing though.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll read up on the Sony SXRD panel degradation problem. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
If you get the Sony, also buy an affordable light meter and measure your on/off contrast after initial setup and then say every year so you can claim warranty service if needed.

If you don't buy the Sony, buy the light meter anyway because it can be helpful to set or know your light level and iris settings for SDR and HDR if you're not otherwise doing a calibration. :)

Colin

Owner
Real Name
Colin
If you get the Sony, also buy an affordable light meter and measure your on/off contrast after initial setup and then say every year so you can claim warranty service if needed.

If you don't buy the Sony, buy the light meter anyway because it can be helpful to set or know your light level and iris settings for SDR and HDR if you're not otherwise doing a calibration. :)

That's a great idea. I want to go with the Sony because it's sharper than the Epson, it's available thru Value Electronics, and it's cheaper than the JVC. But don't want a bum projector in 2 year. But with the 3 year warranty, this could protect me. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks