What's new

SVS Subs!!! Are they really that good??? (1 Viewer)

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Well, if I bought a PB2+ and it didn't suit my needs then I would be out $100. I don't know what your gas mileage is or how hard a time you have with pushy salesmen, but it wouldn't cost me $100 to return an item to a store and I suspect that holds true for most people.

Now, as someone mentioned earlier, some people live out in the middle of nowhere and it would cost them a lot to drive out to a store. But more often than not people do not live that far away.

And I hope most people here know I'm just playing devil's advocate. I've made many internet/phone purchases and thus far have been pleased with all of them. But I admit there is more risk involved.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Most stores will not allow you to "demo" their speaker/equipment in your home with a 30-45day 100% refund policy. You cannot adequately demo a sub or speaker system in a store due to differences in acoustics and time constraints. The amount of money that return shipping would cost should be a non-issue to someone purchasing Revel Salons. It would be worth $100.00 to adequately evaluate a subwoofer in your home,properly placed, and calibrated with diverse format material. So in a sense...mail order gives you more opportunity to make a more reasoned and careful purchase. Cambridge Soundworks even will pay for the return shipping! Thats how I came to the decision that I liked my Newton T500's over the Rocket 750's! At the time I was also auditioning the (overpriced) B&W802's (which I also kept) but had to pull teeth and promise my first born just to audition them for a few days! I think somebody has a grudge with SVS...if the truth be told....

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
__________________________________________________ __________
Most stores will not allow you to demo their speaker/equipment in your home with a 30-45 day 100% refund policy.
__________________________________________________ ________>>

You hit the nail on the head there Mike/Mr.Sloaner.;)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Dan you missed the point. Even if it cost you $100 to return it you still got to audition it in your own home which is great. Whats $100 when your going to spent 10+ times plus that much on a sub and speakers. The odds are very much in your favor. I never have been able to figure out why people hate returning stuff by packing it up and shipping it back. Its not hard plus you really get to play with it at home. I would rather spend $500 in shipping to get it right than have to live with something that was not up to par.

ErichH

Screenwriter
There's a reason companies like SV/Onix/ACI are doing so well.
They make great products and are willing to let you play with them to prove it.

It's not for everyone, but if you follow the threads at this and other forums on these companies, you'll get the idea.

Eric

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I think what most people don't understand that even if they buy at a brick and mortar store they are still paying shipping its just included in the overall price like the stores overhead, lights, phones, payroll and everything else. You just don't see it as an extra. Again I would gladly pay more to listen in my own room.. Thats worth way more than $100 bucks anyday even if I had to do it several times before I got the right thing....

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Look, I was out of town, and I think this thread sort of deteriorated, as much as I tried to keep stupid arguing to a minimum.

Anyway, I'd like to say this:

There are a few very legitimate reasons for not liking SVS:

1) I've never heard of SVS... what is that, an oil filter?

2) I heard an SVS through audioenvy/friend/forum member, or I bought SVS, didn't like it, and returned it.

3) I don't like to buy audio products because I prefer to audition them at a dealer or at home exclusively. I think subwoofers should be auditioned just as a speaker should be auditioned.

4) I think they are ugly/my wife wants bose cubes

5) I live in Canada or abroad, so SVS is no longer such a bargain.

I think everyone should understand and respect these positions. This thread should not be a stupid war about whether or not it's a good idea to buy audio products over the internet without having heard and auditioned them, and the bias that may be inherent when one buys a product to audition. This is a thread about whether an SVS is worth the money. If you prefer not to buy products online, that's acceptable. That's one reason why SVS may not be that great to a lot of people.

If you don't like the size and looks of SVS, that's yet another fine reason for why it may not be worth the money for you.

As for performance, I think those who have heard SVS subs will agree that they are at the very least equal with their competition (unless you like the bloated car-boom), and most would say that they are significantly better than their competition.

I think Eric's logic was silly. I totally understand his dislike of buying products online (SVS is the only online product I've bought, and I bought it with MUCH trepidation) without an audition. But his argument based on his assumptions that SVS can't possibly be as great as a brand X, and can't run with the "big boys" without having heard it at all, is ridiculous.

I welcome those who can compare an SVS with competitive subs honestly without slobbering all over SVS, which I know we owners are tempted to do a lot. And I welcome those who have heard and SVS, or maybe returned an SVS because it wasn't the right sub for their goals, and to explain why the SUBWOOFER wasn't right.

This isn't a debate about SVS customer service, or online brands, or shipping prices, or audition methods, or even looks really. If you had an SVS in a room against some other comparable subwoofer, which would be better and in what ways? What subs have you heard and how do they compare with SVS?

Matt_Doug

Stunt Coordinator
I sold my svs 20-39 CS and mackie amp to a friend of mine because the amp fan noise really annoyed me in my small listening room but wasn't a bother to my friend in his much larger listening room. My friend has a Klipsch computer speaker sub sat system he's been using and his wife's first words when we got stuff up an running with some music tracks was that the base was tight in comparison to the klipsch (I swear her words not mine). Then we flipped in a dvd movie and all hell broke loose. they thought the walls of their house were going to fall in. During a barbecue get together at my friends house we and other friends were watching another movie and everyone there was absoloutely amazed at what was coming out of the SVS. And a few had klipsch subwoofers to compare with but maybe not at that price point . There was nowhere in the house you could go to escape the sound of the SVS to the annoyance of some though. BTW, I replaced my passive svs with a powered one since I spend more time listening to music with quiet passages than watching movies... Couldn't be happier. well worth the investment

Names have been omitted to protect the bass innocent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks