What's new

SVS 25-31PCi Arrives..! (1 Viewer)

Manny_S

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the SVS finally arrived this afternoon. I quickly hooked it up and did some tweaking with Video Essentials and my RS SPL meter. So far I'm pretty happy with the unit. Still need to tweak some more. Problem is, I'm not exactly sure how much this thing can put out. I've got my Denon 3802's subwoofer level set to -6dB (-12 0 +12 scale) but the Gain on the SVS is less then half. If I put it at 12o'clock with the -6dB Denon level setting, I go way over the 80dB mark on the SPL meter using Video Essentials. Has anyone heard one of these woofers make the "clack" sound when reaching the limits of excursion? How loud is the sound? Is it quite noticeable from 12ft. away or do you have to put your ear up to the port hole or down near the bottom to hear it. Any help from other SVS owners and/or the creators of this wonderful sub would be greatly appreciated. Here are some pics:

Notice on the fourth picture the lack of any visible wires. I ran the power cord and rca along the bottom of the baseboard towards the wallunit pictured on the left using a plastic tube named "CordMate" available at Home Depot. Makes it look nice and tidy.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
The trucks are usually big and brown :)
BTW--I bet some of the original SVS owners are looking at our current *inner boxing cradels* and wishing we had these from the start. You wouldn't believe what we have to pay for them,but damage rates have been reduced to nearly zero now(and it makes unpacking the sub much easier).
Manny,
Just turn down the gain on the subwoofer until the meter reads 75dB with VE.(all speakers should read 75dB). This will put the subwoofer about 3dB *hot*(because the meter tends to read 2-3dB low on typical sub calibration tones)but that is OK to start. If you bottom out the driver---it is usually pretty obvious. Think of tapping a frying pan with a hammer---that is close to the sound you would hear from the subwoofer. The 31PCi is pretty stout though...you'll need to push it rather hard to cause distress.
TV

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Ahhh... those photos bring back memories of when I received my 25-31CS sub.
Great packaging and a fun sub to play with.

Enjoy!

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe those cradles could also be used if someone wanted to lay an SVS on its side. Just a thought.
Manny, I wouldnt worry so much about the position of the gain. It's really a two part equation between the output level from your reciever and where you have to set the gain knob to achieve 75db. The intent is to keep the amount of distortion to a minimum. For a Denon, I believe you should start at -3.
I have my 25-31 calibrated to between 80-82db using VE and I have never heard any signs of distress, bottoming, etc. I usually watch at around -10 from reference.
On the other hand, my dog showed visible signs of distress during U-571 but the SVS played strong.
Here's mine.

Tom, when are we going to see the results from Ferstler? I'm dyin ova here!

Manny_S

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like I may need to invest in the Art351 EQ. I checked my dB output at various low frequencies and got a few peaks which need to be flattened out. Here's a graph.

Joe_Mcc

Auditioning
I got my SVS 25-31 today. This is my first subwoofer. I putin Blak Hawk Down and started cookink dinner with my wife we were not pay attention to the movie- just catching up on the days events. All of a sudden we here an explosion coming from the family room that was so loud and deep that we both hit the dirt right there in the kitchen. Once I realize that its just the movie we both just laugh. All I can say is I am glad I didn't get the big sub because all of Edmond Oklahoma would have thought they were under attack. All jokes aside this subwoofer is incredible and there is no way in _ _ _ _ that you will get a better one for the $523.00 that I paid for this one.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
can anyone give me a brief discription of reference level?
Check the Primer in the Basics section for more detail, but basically reference level is the level of output a DVD is mastered at to recreate the prefered theater audio level. In order to reproduce reference level, you must calibrate your speaker levels to equal each other at the determined reference level of the calibration disk (75 db Video Essentials, 85 db Avia). After calibration, if you play your DVD at the volume level you calibrated at, you are said to be outputting at "reference level". Note, for DVD's with high dynamic range, true clean reference level in all but the smallest rooms requires a significant amount of power and quality, especially from the sub. Also, reference level is VERY loud and most seem to listen at lower volumes.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
can anyone give me a brief discription of reference level?
The process requires;
1) Radio Shack SPL Analog Meter #33-2050
2) Optional Camera tripod
3) Internal AV Receiver Test tones, or Video Essentials (use 75 dB) or AVIA (use 85 dB)
Read my Calibration process using Video Essentials here -
CALIBRATION TECHNIQUES
Linked to that page is my 'Final Results' webpage - included is how I Calibrated my SVS 25-31PCi using my Yamaha RX-V995 three sub-woofer (SW; DD LFE; DTS LFE) controls.
**NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Phil

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Reference level, as we refer to it here, is actually a reference point -20 or -30 decibels from the movie theater reference level of 105db. For example, if you calibrate all of your speakers to 75db using Video Essentials and proceed to watch a movie at that level, you will actually be -30 decibels from true reference. With Avia, the test tones are generated at 85db, or -20 from reference.
So reference level is really a misnomer for home theater since different calibration levels are used. That said, they do yeild the same result of balancing all 6 speakers -- just at different volumes.
For refernce, I usually watch movies at about -10 decibels from my calibration point. :)

Leon B

Stunt Coordinator
Does it make a difference as to which meter to use. Analog vs. digital. I purchased the digital one and have been using it for quite some time.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam

Johnny,
This is actually incorrect. The tones on VE and avia are attenuated 30 and 20 dB to make it easier on your ears during calibration. I don't think anyone could stand listening to test tones at 105dB without earplugs.
The overall volume level you calibrate to at 75 and 85dB with VE and Avia is true reference level and will reach peeks of 105dB.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The overall volume level you calibrate to at 75 and 85dB with VE and Avia is true reference level and will reach peeks of 105dB.
Jeff is correct. If you calibrate to 75db w/ VE or 85db w/ Avia, the output of your system at the calibrated volume will be reference level (105db mains, 115db sub). I have experimented by calibrating at 75 w/ VE then switching to Avia. Avia's tones were exactly what I set for VE, plus 10db. As a side note, my receiver tones (Denon 3801) were all over the place compared to VE/Avia, convincing me to use only the disks when calibrating.

BTW, I live in an apartment and usually listen 25-15db below reference, depending on time of day and who is home around me. Not 1 complaint in 1 1/2 years.

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
OOPs! That makes sense because I measured peaks upwards of 100db during the THX intro. I think I badly misinterpreted what Vince was saying Link Removed.
So, to make sure I understand, the calibration tones are attenuated a certain amount (20 or 30db) but actual program material should peak at 105db at "reference" volume no matter which disc is used?
I can definitely understand why that is done because I can hardly stand to be in the room when calibrating as it is. 30 decibels louder than that would be unbearable and I have to think would quickly destroy normal home speakers.
JM
Little embarassed but much wiser. :b

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam

Exactly!

Like I said, the only reason to attenuate it is to spare your ears and speakers from test tones playing back at 105dB. I can't even imagine how insane test tones would be at that level.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks