What's new

Is this for real? (25-31PCi).. long (1 Viewer)

Robert Cobb

Agent
Let me start by saying that this is my first subwoofer. I love crisp, hard bass and thought I was getting everything I needed from the 12" woofs in my old JBL mains. Anyway, I've read this board for months as I've been putting together my HT and decided that it was time to see what the .1 really adds to the experience.

My 25-31 PCi arrived Thursday night and I immediately setup and calibrated as best I could based on all the great info available here. I listened to the Pod Race scene, first part of Toy Story 2, JP3 and a smattering of Rush, Doors, and classical. By the end of the night, I thought "OK, it definitely adds something, but what is everyone so excited about?" Of course, I had to tell my wife that it's everything that I had hoped - but I was lying.

Late Friday night (with wife sleeping on sofa in HT), I was reviewing my calibrations. Why is the test tone on the S&V disk so low in the subwoofer calibration area when compared to all the other speakers? Is it possible that I am not running 3-4 db hot like I wanted? I watched Gone in 60 Seconds and decided to turn up the gain on the SVS to 5/8 (from just below 1/2) and turn up the sub level on the receiver to see if I could find that tactile bass I was hoping for. Even though the volume was very low (due to sleeping beauty), a warm presence invaded the listening area. There was a definite heart to each scene that was missing only a few minutes before. I could swear stolen Ferraris were rolling across the floor of my basement. I stayed up for several more hours excited about what a re-calibration might bring.

With the kids out of the house Saturday morning, I re-did the calibration. This time I set everything to 85 db using the S&V disk, but ignored the noise presented for the LF speaker when doing the subwoofer level and just set the sub to where it was putting out 88 db (adjusted). I'm now at -14 (my Yanmmy goes from 0 to -20) on the receiver's sub level and the PCi gain is at 5/8. At the highest listening levels I am willing to subject my ears, the SPL meter is showing brief peaks of 105 db. Is there any chance that I can hurt anything with this setup? I'm certain that the sub has not bottomed during any of this. If it helps, I am in a 25'x20'x8' room that I only expect to fill half of.

I am now in heaven. It's all I can do to write this note as I have cleared the tears of joy from my eyes. I can't even bear to put in a DVD because Lars sounds so good. I wish I could compare my PCi to another sub for you, but I can tell you that instead of bass straining to wash over me from the mains, I now feel a much deeper surge that seems to come from every direction and push right through me. There is significant isolation of each pop of the kick-drum and each one is like a punch in the chest.

Sorry for the book, but I thought this might help others new to subs (and the PCi) stick it out.

_Jay_

Agent
I just put up a post about the SVS and what set up to get etc.. thanks for this post! :)

Jay C

Grip
At the highest listening levels I am willing to subject my ears, the SPL meter is showing brief peaks of 105 db. Is there any chance that I can hurt anything with this setup? I'm certain that the sub has not bottomed during any of this. If it helps, I am in a 25'x20'x8' room that I only expect to fill half of.
Only 105dB....you pansy :D
Seriously, at 110dB peaks (Rat Shack SPL BMG "Audio" DVD track 9 I believe) I had to stop, not because of the heart palpitations (exaggeration for those of you who are not acquainted with an SVS) but because of the massive shaking of the joist in the room above. I did not want to crack the tiles on the floor. But the rush of being sonically punched in the chest (not an exaggeration) is something to experience. And it never gets distorted (in my room anyway), that is the best part. It's hard, and clean. Now I've only done that twice (okay 3 times). I typically run my movies at 85dB, but it's a lasting impression.
Jay

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
funny you should bring up Lars (are you refering to Metallica?), I just got done listening to my Metallica S&M DVD, I listen to it a lot, every time I think I am going to just listen to a few songs, I end up listening to the whole (1 out of the 2) disc. Amazing performance, I haven't found close to as good yet!!!

Robert Cobb

Agent
Yep... Metallica. I sampled some old stuff from the Kill 'em All CD (lousy production quality) and then rolled through portions of each album through Black. I couldn't get enough.

I don't have the S&M DVD, is it a significant improvement over what my CD-based recordings are offering?

I've begun to realize that I made more than a few mistakes judging my new SVS the first night. For one thing, I had dynamic compression on. This seems to make more of a difference for the low frequencies. I was not aware of the constraint it was placing on the system because, without the SVS, I had no idea that bass was even there.

Had some friends over last night and was grinning ear-to-ear as several children got their first taste of Jurassic Park. IMO, they got to *feel* this movie the way it was intended. Thank you, SVS.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Robert - Yeah, the sound quality is impressive on the s&m dvd's. From the very first song what will strike you is how distinct all of the instruments are, from the orchestra and the band members as well. It's worth buying S&M for Call of Ktulu alone! To me, the s&m cd's sound pretty harsh and shrill - this is definately not the case with the dvd.

I have a cerwin vega sub and the bass sounds so much better than on their cd's. I can't imagine how good it would sound if I had a svs.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the feedback on the subwoofer Robert. A lot of blood,sweat and tears went into the design...so there's nothing better than to hear from guys enjoying it.(finally :) )
Metallica is always in heavy rotation in my system. When I do my subjective listening tests...I go straight for Lars and Alex Van Halan to begin things.
Zepps when the levee breaks is another killer...Bohnam...nothing else needs said.
TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks