What's new

Star Trek Price Drop (1 Viewer)

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I doubt the bonus discs would be missing from the Star Trek sets since in most cases the bonus disc contains one or two episodes including the season finale.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

I'm doing the same thing. I'll wait until they drop the price on the full run before I start picking them up. Fox did it right with the X-Files. What Paramount is doing just feels like a trick to get you hooked. That's why I'm currently picking up The X-Files and leaving the Trek releases alone (except for Deep Space Nine which was worth the original asking price :D )

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I'd definitely go for the slimpack packing on the season sets for Star Trek and I'd be more than willing to drop around $50 per set. That's a blind buy worth investing in and I don't care if they drop the bonus features. I don't watch the Trek Bonus Features anyway.

Hurry up, Paramount, and give us slimpack packaging with lowered prices. Then again, maybe they're just trying to dump their current inventory of the standard bulky boxed sets.

Blake Siefken

Stunt Coordinator
!!!!!!!!HEADS UP!!!!!!!!

To all Canadian Star Trek fans, Future Shop has lowered the price of TNG Season 4 and 5, and DS9 Season 4 and 5! They're now the same price as 1-3 ($78.99). The thing is they haven't changed the prices on the stickers in the stores yet, at least not in the two Future Shops in Richmond. Get them while they're still there, because 1-3 are impossible to find now and 4-5 will be gone soon.

Jake Yenor

Stunt Coordinator
Price Drop of TNG Season 4 & 5 and DS9 4 & 5 are now offically in place by Paramount. You can pick them up for around $50 at amazon now.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I just noticed that Amazon has the entire 7 season set of Next Generation for sale at $370.99

Amazon Link

This is the best pricing I have seen for this set.

I hope it is a sign of things to come.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I managed to buy the entire Star Trek: TNG series set by set between Sept. 8 and Sept. 9 of last year when I noticed that Amazon had cut the price pretty significantly. I was able to buy the sets for between $41.97 and $47.97 each. (I had watched a few shows here and there when it aired...as this series hadn't really grabbed me at the time...I was still dogmatically loyal to the original series at that point) Since then, I've watched the first two seasons and am about a third of the way through Season 3 and I really enjoy the show. Would love to buy Voyager and Enterprise, but not at the ridiculously gougy inflated prices Rob-a-mount is charging right now. Don't really have much interest in DS9. Speaking of X-Files, another show that I didn't watch hardly at all during its run, I was able to nab the whole series for about half off during a recent Amazon sale (one they seem to have every year about the first of the year for Fox and MGM TV DVDs). Also blind-bought Angel from that sale, getting the slimpak sets for half off each. Come on, Paramount, the loyal Trek fans have bought your sets. Now, it's time for you to stop gouging and lower the prices on the shows so that we can finally add them to our collections...the prices being sought per set now are sufficient for us to buy three to four sets of other shows! :angry:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When I was purchasing the franchise, I did it by buying each season of each set at the retailier with the lowest possible price. Thats kinda the long way to do it but it worked out for me

Best Buy has the complete original series for $179.99 However if you buy them one at a time you re going to pay about $320...TNG and DS 9 are about 56.99 for all but Season7 Voyager and enterprise are still in the high end

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

That's a fiscally prudent way to do it, but I'm much too lazy to be that proactive in searching for retailers with sets that I want at the lowest price, so I just wait until I see a good price on Amazon. The reason why I'm so loyal to Amazon, and haven't used DeepDiscount, DVDPlanet and others is because I have an Amazon Prime membership that gives me two-day UPS shipping free, which means most times I'll get the set in one day because of where they're shipped from.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

If the sets were selling at the higher price (which they were), then Paramount is doing what every other company does, which is launch at a premium price, then reduce it later. Don't be surprised to see these sets below $10 in a few years time.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Hopefully! I'd like to add them to my collection...but not at the current prices. Just too much, I can buy way more sets of other shows for the price of a single set.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Wal Mart.com has:

TNG Complete Series for $370.98
DS 9 Complete Series for $410.48 and
Enterprise complee Series for $347.98

However, Overstock.com lists:

TOS for $49.78 Per set
DS 9 complete Boxset $299.95
TNG complete Boxset $299.95
Enterprise complete Boxset $328.47

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
You guys are incorrect. Who buys the complete series sets repackaged together? Most of us only have enough to buy one set at a time and only the first three season sets of DS9 and TNG are at $60 while leaving the rest priced at $100 per each including leavging Voyager and Enterprise priced at $100 per set. CBS/Paramount needs to be dropped so that fans who havent bought the sets would be encouraged enough to buy the sets.

Price has always been a factor for those who are budgeted on entertainment and an entertainment fan is going to spend $40 on a series season set before they spend $100, more entertainment value for their dollar.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

That's actually wrong. ALL seasons of TOS, TNG and DS9 have received price drops at this point and can be found for under $50 online. It's only Voyager and Enterprise that haven't received price drops yet.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Just bought DS9 Seasons 2 and 3 from Amazon for $50 each.

I have TOS (40 disc original set), TNG (birthday present repackaged together) and TAS (xmas present but reasonably priced). I'm slowly working my way through DS9. Even at the lower price, it's 10-20 dollars more expensive than other hour shows.

I don't care much for Voyager or Enterprise but if the price dropped, knowing me, I'd probably buy them.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
It always pays to wait when it comes to DVD. Prices always come down eventually (except on Criterion Collection releases). Unfortunately, it's taken me several years (and thousands of dollars) to come to this realization. :)

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Me, too...but there just some series that I gotta have...so I buy them right as they come out...only to find them being sold for half off or more only months later... *SIGH*

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks