What's new

The Replacement of my Star Trek TNG DVD library has begun! (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well folks, this Christmas is seeing the start of my replacing my Star Trek TNG DVDs with the new Blu-rays.Started with STTNG, Season 6 as I have Seasons 1-5 in my DVD library (never got to S6 and S7 as I turned to waiting for the new HD masters).Initially the Amazon price was $68 a few weeks ago. It then dropped to $50 and I considered putting in the order but waited to see what Black Friday had to offer. Black Friday, price dropped to $31.99 which I jumped on, along with the Criterion edition of IAMMMMW, which dropped $5 to $26.99. And a Bonus, snagged STTNG Season 1 for $19.99. Two seasons down, 5 to go. Wish I had the discretionary funds to get all 7 seasons now but reality hits like a cold slap in the face.Maybe the prices will stay down. Here's Hopin!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Brad, I have to say, of all of the things I've upgraded from DVD to Blu-ray, or ever bought on any sort of home anything for that matter, the Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray sets have become prized possessions. The work they did remastering the show is nothing short of brilliant, and as I watch these episodes all over again as an adult, I feel that same sense of wonder and awe and excitement that I had as a child watching this show. I haven't really revisited TNG on DVD that much over the years (individual episodes here and there but I didn't really rewatch seasons of the show on DVD), but I got addicted when the season one Blu-ray came out. They look and sound better than ever. Some of these episodes I've probably seen a dozen times or more over the years, and I felt like I was watching them for the first time when I saw the Blu-rays.

I don't know if the current Amazon sales will last, but it seems like every few months, at least one of the seasons gets temporarily priced dropped. What I do for items I want but don't have the cash for them right away, I put them in my Amazon shopping card and "save for later" - then everytime I log in to Amazon, it gives a notice at the top of the Shopping Cart page if any items have gone up or down in price since the last time I looked. So if you can't get them for yourself on this sale, maybe throw them in your cart and just keep an eye on them in the future.

I hope you enjoy the ones you just got (and the ones you've yet to pick up) as much as I have.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Thanks for the comeback Josh. I see that Amazon has already hiked the prices for STTNG Blus back up to that $50-$65 price level. S1 which I got for $19.95 is back to $49.96. So now I wait for the next round of sale prices.Earlier this year I snagged ST-TOS COMPLETE Set on a sale. As we all wait for Deep Space Nine and Voyager to make it to Blu.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
When I see what TOS goes for now compared to what it cost when it first came out...But I have to not think like that. I got hours of enjoyment out of the set back then, and I get to enjoy them over and over. That's awesome that you got that particular set. I'm amazed at the quality there, too. I go back and forth between watching the versions with the new effects and the versions with the old. I appreciate the new effects but I think when it comes down to it, I prefer the original ones, warts and all.

Deep Space Nine and Voyager are the only two Trek shows I haven't seen every episode of. (I saw about half of DS9 when it was originally on, and almost none of Voyager.) If they were made available on Blu, I'd get them and try them out again.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Kyrsten Brad said:
Thanks for the comeback Josh. I see that Amazon has already hiked the prices for STTNG Blus back up to that $50-$65 price level. S1 which I got for $19.95 is back to $49.96.So now I wait for the next round of sale prices.Earlier this year I snagged ST-TOS COMPLETE Set on a sale.As we all wait for Deep Space Nine and Voyager to make it to Blu.
Those prices were the "Deal of the Week" in the TV/Movie section.

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
I bought the TNG S1-6 Blu-Ray sets last week too and I am in the U.K.Whilst S1 was $19.99 and the other sets were $31.99 at least S3 and S5 were separately $26.69 at various points in the week too.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
No plans to replace any at this time, I'm quite content with the sets I have now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks