Sony: Deluxe SuperBit Lawrence of Arabia & Das Boot D.C.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Hitchman, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Dear Sony,
    Why oh why are you wasting the SuperBit name on crappy Z-grade movies like Anaconda, A Knight's Tale, and Vertical Limit when you could put your resources to good use on these classic and note worthy titles??:
    Lawrence of Arabia with a new 65/70 mm Super Panavision restoration and color timing by Robert Harris to David Lean's final vision (which, to this date, has never been completed). Include the original directionalized dialog track with spruced up surround channels all digitally restored. This would include the never-before-seen (to modern audiences) balcony sequence added back into the final cut. In order to do that let Mr. Harris and Co. do a casting call for proper voice impersonators to finalize the re-loop sessions done in the late 80's for the first DC restoration. And please include Mr. Harris's authentic 65mm trailer, audio commentary by Mr. Harris, and a superb DTS soundtrack.
    Spread onto two discs with a much better break. Third disc chock full of interesting and insightful documentaries, interviews, etc.
    The current DVD is a travesty in every sense of the word.
    Das Boot: Director's Cut. Movie spread to two DVD-9 discs with a brand new 1080p HD transfer and included quality DTS track for the original German soundtrack (from the newly remixed 8 channel digital master). Third disc for supplements. Better translated English subtitles as well.
    Thank you.
    Dan

2. Rain

Rain Producer

I'd be down for both of those. I'm not buying either of these titles in their current state.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I would pay any price for a version of LoA supervised by Robert Harris, a DTS 5.1 track with all the fixes, and the 65mm trailer would be fantastic.

I'd also like to see two commentaries added.

Technical commentary: Robert Harris, Sandra Lean, Maurice Jarre, and Nicholas Roeg

Actors Commentary: Peter O'Toole and Omar Sharif

LoA should get the perfect DVD...this is it.

4. Dan Hitchman

Any more comments?

Dan

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Actually, perhaps all 5 could be on one commentary.
    After all, LoA IS kind of a longer film than most. [​IMG]

6. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I'd absolutely re-purchase LAWRENCE OF ARABIA if Robert Harris were allowed to supervise the transfer. The one disc release of the current transfer that is said to be in the pipelines is one of the biggest missteps in the annals of DVD.

7. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I would definitely re-purchase Lawrence of Arabia and Das Boot.

8. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Count me in as well
    [​IMG]

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I would buy that LoA, but I would also be perfectly happy if they just put the balcony scene in as an extra since Mr. Lean is not available to direct the voice actors. Heck, if they remain too proud to consult Mr. Harris, at least consult with editor Anne Coates who may be able to help them get the score to sync up with the picture. [​IMG]
    Regards,

10. Dan Hitchman

They need to bring on both the editor, Anne Coates and Mr. Harris (and his team) as I'm sure they are intimately aware of what Mr. Lean would have wanted. They both worked with him, and Mr. Harris especially during the first restoration attempt. I believe he was involved with getting the balcony scene put back in and just needed one last impersonator to replace a key deceased actor's dialog.
    Dan