What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Lawrence of Arabia (1962) and Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) (4k UHD Steelbooks) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
90eccdc8-6bbf-4ad8-993a-1ef0d4687be0.png
TWO ICONIC DAVID LEAN CLASSICS CELEBRATE THEIR ANNIVERSARIES ON 4K ULTRA HD™
72381876-4860-5194-f431-6728800200cd.png
9da3709e-0c6c-264f-0eae-7d16efa2a633.jpg
AND
af34f748-e26c-909b-0bbc-adeff6739ba6.png
d17128a3-992b-302e-72a7-0b3cfb68d191.jpg
BOTH AVAILABLE AS INDIVIDUAL LIMITED EDITION
4K ULTRA HD STEELBOOKS JUNE 7TH
SYNOPSES
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
Celebrating its 60th anniversary. Winner of 7 Academy Awards® including Best Picture of 1962, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA stands as one of the most timeless and essential motion picture masterpieces. The greatest achievement of its legendary, Oscar®-winning director, David Lean (1962, Lawrence of Arabia; 1957 The Bridge on the River Kwai), the film stars Peter O’Toole — in his career-making performance — as T.E. Lawrence, the audacious World War I British army officer who heroically united rival Arab desert tribes and led them to war against the mighty Turkish Empire. Nominated for 10 Academy Awards in 1962, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA won seven, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography [Color], Best Art Direction-Set Decoration [Color], Best Film Editing, Best Music [Score] and Best Sound.

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI
Celebrating its 65th anniversary. When British POWs build a vital railway bridge in enemy-occupied Burma, Allied commandos are assigned to destroy it in David Lean’s epic World War II adventure THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI. Spectacularly produced, THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI captured the imagination of the public and won seven 1957 Academy Awards®, including Best Picture, Best Actor (Alec Guinness), and Best Director. Even its theme song, an old WWII whistling tune, the Colonel Bogey March, became a massive hit. THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI continues today as one of the most memorable cinematic experiences of all time.
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA DISC DETAILS & BONUS MATERIALS
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA 4K ULTRA HD DISCS
  • Feature presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision, fully restored from the original camera negative
    • Feature split across two 4K Ultra HD discs
  • Dolby Atmos + 5.1 audio
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA BLU-RAY FEATURE DISC
  • Feature presented in high definition, sourced from the 4K master
  • 5.1 audio
  • Special Feature:
    • Secrets of Arabia: Feature-Length Picture-in-Graphics Track
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURE DISC
  • Peter O’Toole Revisits Lawrence of Arabia
  • Making of Lawrence of Arabia Documentary
  • Deleted Balcony Scene with Introduction by Anne V. Coates
  • The Lure of the Desert: Martin Scorsese on Lawrence of Arabia
  • A Conversation with Steven Spielberg
  • Wind, Sand and Star: The Making of a Classic (1963 & 1970 Versions)
  • Maan, Jordan: The Camels Are Cast
  • In Search of Lawrence
  • Romance of Arabia
  • King Hussein Visits Lawrence of Arabia Set
  • In Love with the Desert Documentary
  • Lawrence at 50: A Classic Restored
  • Archival Interviews
    • Steven Spielberg on Lawrence of Arabia
    • William Friedkin on Lawrence of Arabia
    • Sydney Pollack on Lawrence of Arabia
  • New York Premiere Footage
  • Advertising Campaigns
  • Vintage Trailers & TV Spots

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI DISC DETAILS & BONUS MATERIALS
THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI 4K ULTRA HD DISC
  • Feature presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision, fully restored from the original camera negative
  • Dolby Atmos + 5.1 + original monaural audio
THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI BLU-RAY DISC
  • Feature presented in high definition, sourced from the 4K master
  • 5.1 audio
  • Special Features:
    • Crossing the Bridge: Picture-in-Picture Graphics Track
    • Making of The Bridge on the River Kwai
    • The Steve Allen Show with William Holden & Alec Guinness
    • The Bridge on the River Kwai Premiere Narrated by William Holden
    • “Rise and Fall of a Jungle Giant” Featurette
    • USC Short Film Introduced by William Holden
    • An Appreciation by Filmmaker John Milius
    • Photo Gallery
    • Theatrical Trailers

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA CREDITS
Directed By: David Lean
Produced by: Sam Spiegel
Screenplay by: Robert Bolt and Michael Wilson
Cast: Alec Guinness, Anthony Quinn, Jack Hawkins, Jose Ferrer, Anthony Quayle, Claude Rains, Arthur Kennedy, Omar Sharif, Peter O’Toole

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI CREDITS
Directed by: David Lean
Produced by: Sam Spiegel
Based on the Novel by: Pierre Boulle
Screenplay by: Carl Foreman and Michael Wilson
Cast: William Holden, Alec Guinness, Jack Hawkins, Sessue Hayakawa, James Donald, Ann Sears, Geoffrey Horne
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA SPECS
Run Time: Approx. 226 minutes
Rating: PG
4K UHD Feature Picture: 2160p Ultra High Definition, 2.20:1
4K UHD Feature Audio: English Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Compatible) | English 5.1 DTS-HD MA

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI SPECS
Run Time: Approx. 161 minutes
Rating: PG for mild war violence
4K UHD Feature Picture: 2160p Ultra High Definition, 2.55:1
4K UHD Feature Audio: English Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Compatible) | English 5.1 DTS-HD MA | English Mono DTS-HD MA

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am all over these!

I have the 4k of LOA on digital -- and it is absolutely the best 4k digital presentation in my collection. However, I really want to own these discs and didn't want to buy the expensive boxed set for them. Love the cover art!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am all over these!

I have the 4k of LOA on digital -- and it is absolutely the best 4k digital presentation in my collection. However, I really want to own these discs and didn't want to buy the expensive boxed set for them. Love the cover art!
It’s even better looking and sounding on 4K disc!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yay! Great news. And I even like the color. Steelbooks are cool.

Glad to see this news, though I had not believed it true at first.

I just read up on the specs from the Colombia Classics box set as I was curious if the included blu ray is made from the same new master used for the 4K. And I’m glad to see that it is. Of course I’ll be watching the 4K disc, but was curious about the blu ray too.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I think it sucks ,they make us wait and wait,then make us get some steel book with pretty poor art work
Is this the only way Lawrence is being released on 4K UHD ? Steelbook only ? :confused: :( I doubt it. I don't own or Like steelbooks. If I have to buy it I will Print my own Custom cover Poster Art and put it in a Black 4K UHD snap case that's all. :)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
From the specs, LOA appears to be identical to what was included in the Columbia Classics Vol 1 set, but River Kwai is a new encode and newly authored disc (at least on 4K), as the previous stand alone release did not include Dolby Vision HDR.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From the specs, LOA appears to be identical to what was included in the Columbia Classics Vol 1 set, but River Kwai is a new encode and newly authored disc (at least on 4K), as the previous stand alone release did not include Dolby Vision HDR.
Are you sure about that? The Kwai 4K disc had some kind of HDR, but perhaps, not Dolby Vision or it could be HDR 10. The iTunes 4K digital has Dolby Vision and Atmos.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It had HDR10, but not Dolby Vision.
I thought so as I was going to get my 4K disc out to confirm as I do know the digital is in Dolby Vision. I think quite a number of those early 4K movies were in HDR10, but the 4K digitals were in Dolby Vision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks