What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Lawrence of Arabia (1962) and Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) (4k UHD Steelbooks) (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I had the exact same question on whether the new 4K set and if the included blu ray is made with the new remastering material used to make the 4K. I did not ask that here and I thought I found a website that said the included blu ray is based on the new 4K source. I’m trying to find that webpage again. I did find a 2020 review of the 4K release on The Digital Bits and Bill Hunt says the Blu ray is exactly the same as the 2012 blu ray.

If I can find that other website, I’ll post it. For now here’s The Digital Bits:

I had not realized that Lawrence is split on two 4K discs. In looking at the specs of the steel book release, it’s a 4 disc set. So perhaps it’s still split on two discs and then there is the Blu ray disc and an extras disc. I’m glad to have the 2012 box set, the extras in that set might include materials not in the new set. The higher price of the steel book is not only for the case, but perhaps the premium nature of this release.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
zig zag.jpg
Well, Mr. Gondorff may be on to something.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I had the exact same question on whether the new 4K set and if the included blu ray is made with the new remastering material used to make the 4K. I did not ask that here and I thought I found a website that said the included blu ray is based on the new 4K source. I’m trying to find that webpage again. I did find a 2020 review of the 4K release on The Digital Bits and Bill Hunt says the Blu ray is exactly the same as the 2012 blu ray.

If I can find that other website, I’ll post it. For now here’s The Digital Bits:

I had not realized that Lawrence is split on two 4K discs. In looking at the specs of the steel book release, it’s a 4 disc set. So perhaps it’s still split on two discs and then there is the Blu ray disc and an extras disc. I’m glad to have the 2012 box set, the extras in that set might include materials not in the new set. The higher price of the steel book is not only for the case, but perhaps the premium nature of this release.
This release appears to be identical, disc-wise, to what was included in volume one of the Columbia Classics 4K boxed set, and the Blu-ray is identical to the discs included in that 2012 release.

Did you not find a review of this film here on HTF?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Last night I *finally* got around to watching the 4K disc from Columbia Classics Vol. 1, and OMG! It is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. I love LofA and have seen it quite a few times, but I was enraptured anew by the beauty of the film and the cinematography on this 4K release. Just amazing!

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I did notice a baked-in stutter in one scene...I think it's around the scene with the bats where one of them is flying toward the camera. Some sort of scan error where a couple frames are repeated

I didn't know about this in The Bridge on the River Kwai release. Does anyone know what exactly happened here?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I didn't know about this in The Bridge on the River Kwai release. Does anyone know what exactly happened here?
Nobody noticed this since 1957, or did people simply didn't care about such a minor issue. I think there are several movies in which something awray happened during filming or post production.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This new 4K steelbook release of The Bridge on the River Kwai includes Dolby Vision HDR. I think the first disc was HDR10 only if I remember correctly.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
This new 4K steelbook release of The Bridge on the River Kwai includes Dolby Vision HDR. I think the first disc was HDR10 only if I remember correctly.
Also the original mono, which wasn’t on the first pressing of the old 4k (though was stealth added to later pressings). My old copy doesn’t have the mono, so I’m doubly excited for the steel!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The higher price of the steel book is not only for the case, but perhaps the premium nature of this release.
Damn. It's all sold out. Amazon now lists the steel book LOA as about $78 for a USED copy.

I got mine last year but I can't find a bargain for gift purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks