What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Columbia Classics 4k Ultra HD Collection Volume 3 (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
. . . . . Maybe they were just running out of truly viable options from the Columbia vault, tho I’m sure there are some 4K buffs out there that might argue for their own personal favorites (more Capra? Columbia noir? and perhaps someday, somehow a 4K Harryhausen set for me please).
I recently started a thread about MIA Columbia titles and several people responded by listing movies they'd love to have on disc. The other day I watched the DVD of The Juror for which there is no Blu-ray disc apart from a Spanish bootleg. Sony have not yet run out of 4K possibilities.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Vol 3 took a lot longer to sell. These very nicely produced boxes are obviously too expensive for mainstream buyers - there are not enough people who can afford to pay $150 + shipping and taxes for a box set. Last year's Sony Classics 30th Anniversary Collection 4K set hasn't sold out either.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Vol 3 took a lot longer to sell. These very nicely produced boxes are obviously too expensive for mainstream buyers - there are not enough people who can afford to pay $150 + shipping and taxes for a box set. Last year's Sony Classics 30th Anniversary Collection 4K set hasn't sold out either.

Yeah, a great effort by Grover Crisp and Sony, but just too expensive for most mainstream buyers.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Collections like this one are going to fall by the wayside before stand alone releases. The downturn of physical media coupled with the current economy spells doom for combination sets. 🙁

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
They're damned if they do, damned if they don't: If they do, there will be a chorus of complaints about popular titles being exclusive to the box set. If they don't, there will be laments that there was no new box set.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
If you're going to release an expensive box set these days, then you have to know your customers. It doesn't seem possible to curate a collection of titles, which will appeal to everybody. On the other hand, boutique labels are better at targeting their customers. This year, Arrow Video have managed to sell an expensive large box of Bruce Lee titles in both 4K UHD and blu-ray versions, only three years after Criterion released their own collection (with inferior transfers and supplements).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks, as always Gary, for the price alert. That's an excellent price for the set.

I have thoughts to post about these sets in the Collection 4 thread

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
If you're going to release an expensive box set these days, then you have to know your customers. It doesn't seem possible to curate a collection of titles, which will appeal to everybody. On the other hand, boutique labels are better at targeting their customers. This year, Arrow Video have managed to sell an expensive large box of Bruce Lee titles in both 4K UHD and blu-ray versions, only three years after Criterion released their own collection (with inferior transfers and supplements).
Agree, the Bruce Lee set will appeal to fans. These Columbia sets have no theme and are a random collection, that's no use to a collector like me. Prefer singles as I want to choose what to buy.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I missed the previous bargains (down as low as ~$66 a couple weeks ago), but just finally managed to snag a set at $74.50 *plus* 40%-off(!) w/ their current Amex offer (when using Amex w/ whatever amount of reward points/cash, ie. I just used $0.05, LOL, since it's better to just redeem such rewards as statement cashback instead :P). The set kept disappearing the last couple days since I started noticing the offer. Had to keep checking and finally snagged it (and yes, used the HTF referral link as well :cool:).

FYI, the Amex offer maxes out on an $150 order, so I also added the new Jackie Chan Criterion BD boxset and the EO BD (to make it just slightly over $150 before tax) to get those also at ~40% off the already sale price matched to B&N's Criterion sale. :D:cool:

On top of that, I also had $15 promo credit to spend from my 2nd $100 Apple GC BF deal -- yep, they did make that deal work separately for eGC and physical GC (w/ slightly diff offer codes), and that was my 2nd credit that waited for the physical GC to be shipped. :D:cool:

Anyway, if anyone's still interested in snagging this set at some great bargain deal and has an Amex card, better check to see if you can get that 40%-off offer...

There also seems to be a similar $10-off-75 offer for Discover Card too -- and Discover's also giving 5% cashback for Amazon purchases this quarter (while Amex is probably less unless you have the right Amex card for better Amazon rewards/cashback).

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks