What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Columbia Classics 4k Ultra HD Collection Volume 3 (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Next 15% is usually around mid month,.

10% codes DEEP10 and PLUNGE are active. Apparently PLUNGE was reactivated in the last couple weeks
I think the DD website adds an extra shipping change
Yes I forgot about the shipping charge for “heavy” items.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Waiting for Black Friday to get it less and free shipping as Prime member.
Also as I already own iTunes digital My Best Friends Wedding does that automatically switch to 4K gratis of Apple at some point? Not sure how that rule works.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Carol Burnett was excellent as Miss Hannigan, and loved Tim Curry and Bernadette Peters. Would love to have seen Bette Midler as Miss Hanningan she would have been incredible.
As good as Carol was I felt I was watching CB more than Miss Hannigan from her being on weekly TV in the 70s all those successful years. I would have preferred someone more under the radar like Angela Lansbury right off the success of Sweeney Todd. Plus she was an amazing actress. But these choices are based upon business decisions. However there’s no excuse for the Annie choice and I agree with the other poster that she was just annoying. And Geoffrey Holder is just wasted here as in Dr. Dolittle considering his talents.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
As good as Carol was I felt I was watching CB more than Miss Hannigan from her being on weekly TV in the 70s all those successful years. I would have preferred someone more under the radar like Angela Lansbury right off the success of Sweeney Todd. Plus she was an amazing actress. But these choices are based upon business decisions. However there’s no excuse for the Annie choice and I agree with the other poster that she was just annoying. And Geoffrey Holder is just wasted here as in Dr. Dolittle considering his talents.
Also the music really was flat - check out the arrangments of Iwrin Kostal (Mary Poppins) same with The Sound Of Music big bold orchestrations - ANNIE needed that type of scoring look at the number between Warbucks and Annie not enough WOW!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
How did they do the trick shot in Here to Eternity at the 24 minute mark, just after Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr first kiss, when the camera seems to go right through the window? I've seen this a lot in the cgi era, but how did cinematographer Burnett Guffey, who won an Oscar for his work on this film, do it so perfectly in 1953. PQ looks good, although I don't think the OCN still exists. But wow, what a cast in this movie. Fred Zinnemann was coming right off of directing High Noon, and after Eternity went on to Oklahoma!

eternity.jpeg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I finished watching the original movie and the documentaries. Good stuff. I should have guessed, but didn't know that novelist James Jones (pictured below with Sinatra and Clift) was at Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941, in the exact place seen toward the end of the movie, and had the same reactions shown in the film. After that Jones served throughout World War II, was awarded a purple heart, etc. The book and the movie to varying degrees critique the military, which was rare at the time. I saw it many years ago, but had almost forgotten the fates of the Sinatra and Clift characters. Sinatra and Clift, according to the documentaries, were close drinking buddies at this time. Jack Larson, who played Jimmy Olsen in Superman in the 1950s, was also a close friend. Sinatra was in a slow-motion break-up with Ava Gardner which made his life rocky at this point, and that may have contributed to his performance. Borgnine and Sinatra in real life also became friends, and addressed each other by the nick-names in the movie sometimes. It's impressive that they could wrestle down an 800 page book into a 2-hour movie. And director Zinnemann was able to film it in just 40 some days. People who watch this expecting a lot of war action will likely be disappointed, because that's only found in the last 20 minutes or so of the movie. The romances, considered scandalous at the time, of course seem tame today. It's interesting to see both Donna Reed (It's a Wonderful Life) and Deborah Kerr in roles that go against the types they normally played.

james jones, sinatra, clift.jpeg
eternity paper.jpeg
book cover eternity.jpeg
1200px-From_Here_to_Eternity_(1953_poster).jpeg

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
How did they do the trick shot in Here to Eternity at the 24 minute mark, just after Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr first kiss, when the camera seems to go right through the window? I've seen this a lot in the cgi era, but how did cinematographer Burnett Guffey, who won an Oscar for his work on this film, do it so perfectly in 1953.
Most likely a breakaway set. When the camera reaches a certain point, stagehands pull the set apart in opposite directions, creating enough of a space to allow the camera to continue moving forward, and making it look like it passed straight through the window.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Never thought of Burnett being on television, but you are correct Lansbury might have been a great choice. She was robbed of doing "Mame" in the film version an unforgivable faux pas on the annals of film. Shirley Maclaine might have been a great choice also as Miss Hannigan.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I went to a screening of the 4K Last Picture Show. Image looked great, I can't comment on HDR since the theater I saw it in does not have HDR.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Deep Discount currently has their 15% off all in stock items. Code SHARKIE. Current price is about $100 with 15% off it is $85 but they have a $4 shipping fee on heavy items plus sales tax. So it's $89 plus sales tax compared to Amazon which is currently $102.47 plus tax.
Coupon expires noon 11/4 per

Per CamelCamelCamel the cheapest Vol 2 got on Amazon was $84.48 in March 2022.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The reviews on Amazon for this set mostly have have nothing to do with the set. They complain about which movies are included and that the movies aren't available for individual purchase. One person gave one star because they didn't know the discs were in 4K and wouldn't play on their blu ray player. That is not a problem with the set. It seems the normal to complain rather than review at Amazon but it seems there are more of these type of "reviews " for this set rather than expressing how the films look and sound and their opinion on the extras included. Perhaps Amazon could have an option to disable star ratings for comments related to complaints about damage during shipping, loose discs etc. and leave the star ratings to comments about what is contained in the item being reviewed.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The reviews on Amazon for this set mostly have have nothing to do with the set. They complain about which movies are included and that the movies aren't available for individual purchase. One person gave one star because they didn't know the discs were in 4K and wouldn't play on their blu ray player. That is not a problem with the set. It seems the normal to complain rather than review at Amazon but it seems there are more of these type of "reviews " for this set rather than expressing how the films look and sound and their opinion on the extras included. Perhaps Amazon could an option to disable star ratings for comments related to complaints about damage during shipping, loose discs etc. and leave the star ratings to comments about what is contained in the item being reviewed.

Well, that is just plain silly. That person didn't notice that each movie included a Blu-ray disc of the movie (and extras) in addition to the UHD? It's like buying a BD/DVD combo-set and complaining that the BD won't play in their DVD player.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Wow. The 4k UHD director's cut of The Last Picture Show looks amazing to me.

That's the one I'm looking forward to the most. I pulled the trigger on this set and it arrived on Sunday. I was playing around with the extras last night but I'm REALLY looking forward to sitting down with Picture Show so, thanks!

Dr. Lejos

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Looks like we won’t be getting a 4K Columbia Classics Vol. 4 this Christmas, and perhaps the series (which was becoming a holiday event for some collectors) may now be discontinued.

Sony HAS released a few 4K titles this season, some of which may have been intended for a Vol. 4, like the now variably reviewed THE WAY WE WERE, perhaps RUDY … and, on a stretch, the Emmerich GODZILLA out recently.

Maybe they were just running out of truly viable options from the Columbia vault, tho I’m sure there are some 4K buffs out there that might argue for their own personal favorites (more Capra? Columbia noir? and perhaps someday, somehow a 4K Harryhausen set for me please).

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
Looks like we won’t be getting a 4K Columbia Classics Vol. 4 this Christmas, and perhaps the series (which was becoming a holiday event for some collectors) may now be discontinued.

Sony HAS released a few 4K titles this season, some of which may have been intended for a Vol. 4, like the now variably reviewed THE WAY WE WERE, perhaps RUDY … and, on a stretch, the Emmerich GODZILLA out recently.

Maybe they were just running out of truly viable options from the Columbia vault, tho I’m sure there are some 4K buffs out there that might argue for their own personal favorites (more Capra? Columbia noir? and perhaps someday, somehow a 4K Harryhausen set for me please).

i prefer the standalone releases. i appreciate what they did, but i only wanted certain titles from the volumes, not the whole thing.

Dr. Lejos

Agent
Real Name
Rick
What impressed me about last year’s Columbia 4K set was the extra initiative in the supplements… for example bonus features of here-to-fore unreleased titles (who would have expected the elusive remake of IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT … and the rarely seen 1932 LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE was a surprise too), as well as the obvious care that was invested in the book and extras. It was high-priced but almost always marked way down by release date via competitive pricing.

The concept of releasing a SET of films may have actually gotten a few titles nudged into 4K release which otherwise might not have been considered viable as a single, tho you’d think after creating the product, they’d at least offer the option of a medium-priced singles as well, which hasn’t been the case with Sony (unlike Universal with their classic sets). Anyway, I was hoping for another batch this year … the idea of annually going deeper and deeper into the studio vault with 4K restorations seems a very appealing and worthwhile prospect.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I know it has its fans, but IMHO, Emmerich's GODZILLA would truly be scraping the bottom of the barrel in an attempt to find something to call a "classic."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks