What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Some Twilight Time Discs No Longer Playing (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My best suggestion is to do a thorough clean and try to play them on a different brand player assuming there's not something obviously wrong with the disc. That offgassing film that the plastic cases tend to leave on the discs can be worse than scratches and virtually invisible.

I just played all three discs through your freezing time without an issue.

Obviously the best idea would be able to exchange known good discs with suspected bad disc into the multiple players and see if there is some pattern, but unless you have a local AV store with multiple setups, that would be difficult task these days

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

rmnich

Grip
Real Name
Roman
My best suggestion is to do a thorough clean and try to play them on a different brand player assuming there's not something obviously wrong with the disc. That offgassing film that the plastic cases tend to leave on the discs can be worse than scratches and virtually invisible.

Obviously the best idea would be able to exchange known good discs with suspected bad disc into the multiple players and see if there is some pattern, but unless you have a local AV store with multiple setups, that would be difficult task these days

They have been played on 2 Sony's (a 3D and a portable) and a Panasonic...the discs stop at the same place....the discs have been cleaned....checked....numerous times

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They have been played on 2 Sony's (a 3D and a portable) and a Panasonic...the discs stop at the same place....the discs have been cleaned....checked....numerous times

Missed that if you posted it earlier -- I tend to get lost in threads that end up spreading across multiple people and many months.

Do you know of anyone with an Oppo or non Sony 4k player who could try at least one of the discs. I'd love to offer to exchange good disc for suspect disc for a trial (my disc/your player, vice versa), but I'm not that good a person. Any possibility you are near an AV store with multiple players set up who might let you try a few brand new/demo players.

It's somewhat interesting that those 3 discs were essentially released at the same time, EIT and OMF in Jan, ILF in Feb 2013.
Do you have other disc in that similar release window that will/won't play?

Bonjour Tristesse (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 13-Nov-2012
The Rains of Ranchipur (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 13-Nov-2012
Beloved Infidel (Limited Edition to 3000) 11-Dec-2012
Lost Horizon (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 11-Dec-2012
The Blue Lagoon (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 11-Dec-2012

Experiment in Terror (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 15-Jan-2013
Our Man Flint (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 15-Jan-2013
In Like Flint (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 12-Feb-2013
Nicholas and Alexandra (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 12-Feb-2013
Pony Soldier (Limited Edition to 3000) 12-Feb-2013
Christine (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 12-Mar-2013
The Fury (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 12-Mar-2013
The Song of Bernadette (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 26-Mar-2013

rmnich

Grip
Real Name
Roman
Plus...another forum member posts that his"Experiment in Terror" freezes in the same spot....I'm done with Twilight Time.....

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Missed that if you posted it earlier -- I tend to get lost in threads that end up spreading across multiple people and many months.

Do you know of anyone with an Oppo or non Sony 4k player who could try at least one of the discs. I'd love to offer to exchange good disc for suspect disc for a trial (my disc/your player, vice versa), but I'm not that good a person. Any possibility you are near an AV store with multiple players set up who might let you try a few brand new/demo players.

It's somewhat interesting that those 3 discs were essentially released at the same time, EIT and OMF in Jan, ILF in Feb 2013.
Do you have other disc in that similar release window that will/won't play?

Bonjour Tristesse (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 13-Nov-2012
The Rains of Ranchipur (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 13-Nov-2012
Beloved Infidel (Limited Edition to 3000) 11-Dec-2012
Lost Horizon (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 11-Dec-2012
The Blue Lagoon (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 11-Dec-2012

Experiment in Terror (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 15-Jan-2013
Our Man Flint (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 15-Jan-2013
In Like Flint (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 12-Feb-2013
Nicholas and Alexandra (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 12-Feb-2013
Pony Soldier (Limited Edition to 3000) 12-Feb-2013
Christine (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 12-Mar-2013
The Fury (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 12-Mar-2013
The Song of Bernadette (Limited Edition to 3000 - SOLD OUT) 26-Mar-2013

Yes, it was while playing them on my Oppo 105 that I first had the issues and started this thread. They’ve also been checked on a Samsung with the exact same result at the exact same spot. I do have a Sony 4K player but I haven’t set it up yet as I haven’t set up my 4K TV yet. They’re both sitting in the respective boxes temporarily. But I intend to try the TT discs in the 4K player once it’s set up, though I don’t expect a different outcome. And, to answer your question, yes, my Nicholas and Alexandra is one of the ones that no longer plays past the layer change point.

I don’t think it’s a widespread issue so much as a brief manufacturing problem that affected disparate discs (not specific titles necessarily) relatively early on. No later discs seem to have the issue. No discs come with a lifetime guarantee, but it’s still unfortunate just the same, as I have yet to encounter the same issue with any other label in my nearly 5,000 disc collection. So that pretty much eliminates a storage or player issue.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So 4 out of the 5 Jan/Feb 2013 items specifically with issues. If you had an issue with Pony Soldier too then at least a major pressing issue starts raising it's head (4/5 is already suspicious enough). I wonder why just for certain people? Normally high heat/humidity seemed to cause LDs more of a problem, but I've never heard that being a major culprit for DVD/BD

Of course the same thing hit those batches of Criterion for one era and particular pressing plant, but not all discs and all people had issues. I found 2 bad discs out of the 10-15 in my collection that were listed as high risk and all of the others still are OK years later now

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
I’ve had numerous Twilight Time Blu-ray‘s fail. Now my beloved Bye Bye Birdie Blu-ray freezes at about 2/3 of the way. My player is perfectly fine and doesn’t have any other problems with my more than 100 blu-rays. Only Twilight Time. And they weren’t cheap. Very frustrated.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’ve had numerous Twilight Time Blu-ray‘s fail. Now my beloved Bye Bye Birdie Blu-ray freezes at about 2/3 of the way. My player is perfectly fine and doesn’t have any other problems with my more than 100 blu-rays. Only Twilight Time. And they weren’t cheap. Very frustrated.
Sony released it on Blu-ray too.

rmnich

Grip
Real Name
Roman
My Twilight Time discs which no longer play are:
Experiment in Terror
Our Man Flint
In Like Flint
These won't play on any of my 3 players

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm not sure that this has been proven true, so I'll ask:

Is clicking through each chapter stop from beginning to end considered a reliable way to check playability of a disc when you don't have time to watch the movie straight through?

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I'm not sure that this has been proven true, so I'll ask:

Is clicking through each chapter stop from beginning to end considered a reliable way to check playability of a disc when you don't have time to watch the movie straight through?
If present on a disc, a freeze can occur anywhere. Without my having any prior knowledge of the “chapter stop” technique, I wouldn’t think that this would preclude or reveal a thing as to what might fall in-between each of the designated sections.

On other matters posted - but not by Charles Smith - there had been a member who stated that they were “done” with Twilight Time, I would venture this to be quite a sweeping and unfair assessment, as such things were not within their levels of awareness during those given years of operation nor were they the only company to which these anomalies have occurred. For all the known reasons that Twilight Time had closed shop, a lack of quality and quality control was never a factoring part of the equation.

For my money, the Twilight Time legacy remains solid and intact.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
For all the known reasons Twilight Time closed shop, a lack of quality and quality control was never ever a factoring part of the equation.
Perhaps it should have been. Does another studio have it’s own thread for failed discs? I know that discs do go bad, but it seems like TT leads the pack in this regard.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Perhaps it should have been. Does another studio have it’s own thread for failed discs? I know that discs do go bad, but it seems like TT leads the pack in this regard.
Aren't these discs all manufactured at the same plant so I'm not so sure TT is to blame here.

• Agreed

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Aren't these discs all manufactured at the same plant so I'm not so sure TT is to blame here.
I don’t know. It just seems to me there is more talk here on the forum about failed TT discs than any other producer. Since they cater to a niche market, I find that remarkable.

• Agreed

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don’t know. It just seems to me there is more talk here on the forum about failed TT discs than any other producer. Since they cater to a niche market, I find that remarkable.
There are only a few disc manufacturing plants left in existence which is why some labels have postponed/delayed certain titles because there is a backlog and just not enough plant capacity.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I can not attest to which studio would be the leader of the pack. But certainly Twilight Time would not had knowingly or deliberately set out to undermine their clientele nor themselves.

Nonetheless, the findings upon this thread are valid and do continue to be of developing importance.

willyTass

Supporting Actor

for those who want to know which replication plant pressed their disc, this information is stamped into the hub of the blu ray disc

look at the ifpi code
here is a database of replicators from all over the world

i wouldn’t be surprised if the rotting discs were pressed at Cinram north AMerica

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith

I don't remember if there's a dedicated thread for it here, but Criterion has quite a history of its own for Blu-ray discs having gone bad. They have fortunately been able to offer replacements for most if not all of those. There are also any number of DVDs that have suffered a similar fate, notably a number of them from Warner Bros.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
If present on a disc, a freeze can occur anywhere. Without my having any prior knowledge of the “chapter stop” technique, I wouldn’t think that this would preclude or reveal a thing as to what might fall in-between each of the designated sections.
Yep, that would same to be the case. I was only recalling that someone once said that the player will still hang if the bad spot is between the chapter stops, and I think - but I can't swear to it - that I've seen that happen on a problem disc. And of course one player will choke where another sails right through a spot, so the only sure way is to play a movie through on your player of choice.

EDIT: You know what? I might be remembering wrong about the chapter stop method. I believe it may have been stated that fast-forwarding the movie (and any extras) at highest speed, is the quick way to determine whether the disc is good or bad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks