What's new

Some Twilight Time Discs No Longer Playing (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Over the last couple of weeks I have found that 3 of my Twilight Time discs all freeze up at about the 2/3 mark and quit paying entirely. Nothing after that point will play, even via Scene Select when I start the discs over. They are Experiment in Terror, Body Double and Nicholas and Alexandra (the extras no longer play on this title either). I have played them all through multiple times in the past, so it has just started happening. And it doesn’t seem to be happening on any other label’s discs. Haven’t encountered a single glitch except on the Twilight Time ones. I’m almost scared to put in another TT favorite for fear it will join the pile of coasters.
I know nothing in life is guaranteed, but I’ve invested a lot in buying nearly all the TT titles and I hope they’re not going to all (or even many) cease playing soon. Especially when they’re out of print. I shrugged off the first one as bad luck, but when 2 more joined it in quick succession I’m starting to worry.

Is anybody else experiencing any issues?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I haven't had any issues with my Twilight Time discs, but I don't have those specific titles.

You might want to reach out directly to Twilight Time - in the past, I know they've been very responsive to customer issues and have been very willing to go above and beyond to make things right when it's in their power to do so.

One thought: if this is just happening to TT discs and just started happening now, did anything change with your disc player? Maybe a new firmware update or something like that, which, for whatever reason, might be having trouble playing nicely with the software on the discs?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
One thought: if this is just happening to TT discs and just started happening now, did anything change with your disc player? Maybe a new firmware update or something like that, which, for whatever reason, might be having trouble playing nicely with the software on the discs?

I have the Oppo BDP-105 so there hasn’t been a firmware update in about a year I think, since they announced they were no longer producing the players anymore.

I have thought about taking them to a friend’s house and testing them on a different brand player, but I hesitate to ask them to possibly freeze their players up.

I will reach out to TT.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
I recently got a still sealed copy of Experiment in Terror during a Screen Archives sale on used CDs and Blu-rays, and I can say with assurance that I haven't encountered the problems described in the initial post.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Of your three titles, I only own the Twilight Time of Nicholas And Alexandra and upon reading your post, I put the blu ray disc in my player and scanned it chapter by chapter through the end and it played perfectly. According to my records, I last watched the disc all the way through on August 28, 2015.

Note: I own the British Indicator blu ray of Experiment In Terror and the standard DVD of Body Double.

Last edited:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I don’t think it’s an issue with those specific titles or it would have come to light before now. I fear this may be a manufacturing defect that reveals itself striking random discs over time. Separation of layers maybe?

And there is nothing different in the storage of the discs compared to all my Criterion or Kino or Warner Archive or anything. But suddenly now 3 TT titles that all played perfectly before.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Is there a layer change that perhaps your player is not handling correctly? That might explain why the first 2/3 of the film plays, but not the end and none of the extras. Your player is not accessing the other layer.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Anyone who doesn't like purchasing titles digitally for fear they might lose a title might want to take note...

wesaussie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Anderson
I'm afraid to say I had a Twilight time blu ray freeze up too recently it was Follow That Dream. It played OK when I got it but now freezes up about two thirds of the way through. I haven't tried it on another player.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Of what significance is player info?
217 BluRay discs are in my collection. One doesn't play properly and 216 play fine. Obviously it is not the player.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Of what significance is player info?
217 BluRay discs are in my collection. One doesn't play properly and 216 play fine. Obviously it is not the player.
To see if a player is a model that is no longer supported by firmware updates. Also, to establish whether certain models are more prevalent in these playback issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks