What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Criterion's Blu Ray edition of Rosemary's Baby no longer plays (2 Viewers)

Noir Norn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Warren
Glad I bought the Paramount 4k UHD edition at a bargain price on Amazon, 'cause when I pulled Criterion's Blu Ray edition from the shelves to compare transfers, all I get is a black screen with the Criterion "C" in the upper left corner of my display for a few seconds and nothing else. My Sony UBP-X800M2 has played it previously without any issues. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen Criterion's Blu Ray discs expire from playback oh their systems 🤔

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Reach out to Criterion via the Contact page on their website and if they have any copies available, they’ll replace it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I just popped my copy in to check. Menus loaded normally and the film started normally. I skipped around a few chapters with no issues. Player is a Panasonic UB9000.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Glad I bought the Paramount 4k UHD edition at a bargain price on Amazon, 'cause when I pulled Criterion's Blu Ray edition from the shelves to compare transfers, all I get is a black screen with the Criterion "C" in the upper left corner of my display for a few seconds and nothing else. My Sony UBP-X800M2 has played it previously without any issues. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen Criterion's Blu Ray discs expire from playback oh their systems 🤔
Best to check it on another player, or check your Sony for a firmware update.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I would suggest cleaning the disc ...

Noir Norn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Warren
Best to check it on another player, or check your Sony for a firmware update.
My Sony player's firmware is up to date and my Panasonic region-free DMP-BDT270, which plays anything I throw in it until now, only brings up the upper left corner, "C" on a black screen as well.🫨

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My Sony player's firmware is up to date and my Panasonic region-free DMP-BDT270, which plays anything I throw in it until now, only brings up the upper left corner, "C" on a black screen as well.🫨
I'd definitely try cleaning the disc. If that doesn't work, Criterion will happily replace it for you.

Noir Norn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Warren
OK
... so I left the disc in the Sony player and went on to do other things (shopping online) ... at least thirty minutes must have passed before the Criterion menu finally appeared on my display and I prompted "play" ... Violá! Much to my surprise, I now prefer Criterion's Blu Ray over the Paramount 4k UHD edition 😍

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
OK
... so I left the disc in the Sony player and went on to do other things (shopping online) ... at least thirty minutes must have passed before the Criterion menu finally appeared on my display and I prompted "play" ... Violá! Much to my surprise, I think now I prefer it to the Paramount 4k UHD edition 😍
As noted by others, if you contact Criterion, they will replace your Blu-ray if it's in-stock.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
But did you actually clean it or does it just LOOK clean? Many times a disc will appear to be fine, but cleaning it will resolve a playback issue anyway. It costs nothing to try it and see what happens.

My first move always. With the offgassing in these plastic cases seemingly getting worse over time and apparently the Black 4K cases are even worse, a small nearly invisible layer of 'oil/debris/crud' seems to build up over time and can cause issues with playback.

Different enviromental temp/humidity appear to be at play and new sealed discs are more prone than discs that have been in the open.

The fact that the disc played after being out of the case nad in the player for a time almost makes you wonder is the air or heat from the player may have allowed something to dissiapate enough that the laser could now read the data. All this could be totally irrelevant of course, but it does lend itself to speculation

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I just popped my copy of the Criterion Blu-ray into my OPPO 203 and it loaded right away. I jumped around to a few chapters without issue. FWIW.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I had an odd occurrence with a Criterion BD of A Matter of Life and Death. I'd just bought it at B&N sale a some years ago. Popped it in, played it up to a point where it stopped and started then began breaking up every few frames. Took it back to B&N and got a replacement, which has played perfectly in several viewings since. This was a new experience as it seems always several years later that other discs have "gone bad" on me. Had a TT The Egyptian go bad, then an Italian one go bad and just ordered a Spanish one, which will probably go bad. What we won't go through for our beloved movies! Also, all my "bad" ones were physically pristine.

Noir Norn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Warren
I had an odd occurrence with a Criterion BD of A Matter of Life and Death. I'd just bought it at B&N sale a some years ago. Popped it in, played it up to a point where it stopped and started then began breaking up every few frames. Took it back to B&N and got a replacement, which has played perfectly in several viewings since. This was a new experience as it seems always several years later that other discs have "gone bad" on me. Had a TT The Egyptian go bad, then an Italian one go bad and just ordered a Spanish one, which will probably go bad. What we won't go through for our beloved movies! Also, all my "bad" ones were physically pristine.
Sadly, no edition in any format is infallible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomkzufomsg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale