Some Twilight Time Discs No Longer Playing

JohnMor

Producer
Premium
Real Name
John Moreland
I got lost somewhere earlier in the conversation, but have you tried to the discs on other players or did TT ask for the discs so they could test them. I think I remember you saying you had no access to a PCBD player?

Would you be willing to send a couple of the discs to someone here with several different players as well as a PC-BDROM so they could run one of the disc scan/check programs
Yes, they froze at the same point on other players (which were other brands [Sony and Samsung]) and TT never responded to my emails.

I do want to test BBaC on another player though, as that just happened. Curious if it will be a complete coaster on a different machine as well, unlike the other discs.

mcash007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I have all my TT movies backed up as mkv files (I use Plex), but not sure how to back up the 3D titles, I don't want a SBS copy.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I wouldn't hold my breath. I don't think any discs are sold with a lifetime warranty.

Distributors will sometimes replace discs if there is a known defect acknowledged by the distributor. But that is not the case here.

Reactions: JohnMor

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
TT has replaced many discs that have had one-off problems (bad disc, damaged discs, etc), but that only helps if they had extras available. Since I think all 4 of John's items are OOP/Sold Out that might be difficult unless they have some old promo or used copies still sitting around.

Reactions: JohnMor

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have all my TT movies backed up as mkv files (I use Plex), but not sure how to back up the 3D titles, I don't want a SBS copy.
That’s unfortunately tricky. MakeMKV can make the file in the same format as the Blu-rays but I’m not sure what if any playback client can actually handle them. For 3D discs the best option may be to rip the entire disc as an ISO and keep that on a hard drive ready to be burned to a BD-R if needed.

My one major complaint about Plex is the lack of 3D support in most places. But wonderful for 2D stuff.

Reactions: mcash007

mcash007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
That’s unfortunately tricky. MakeMKV can make the file in the same format as the Blu-rays but I’m not sure what if any playback client can actually handle them. For 3D discs the best option may be to rip the entire disc as an ISO and keep that on a hard drive ready to be burned to a BD-R if needed.

My one major complaint about Plex is the lack of 3D support in most places. But wonderful for 2D stuff.
I ended up ripping them to ISO files, the problem then is to make a copy from that, I don't have a dual layer burner. would only make a BD-25, through the 1950's 3D features don't come in at more then 90m. give or take, there still is probably some compression. Of all the TT movies I have the 3D titles are the ones I'm most worried about.

Dick

Lead Actor
Premium
Real Name
Rick
One of my players has been having issues with dual-layer discs for a while, despite cleaning the lens and wiping down the discs. The same discs play well on another machine. Hold your "bad" discs up to a light and use a magnifying glass... do you notice any tiny speckling? If so, try putting some elbow grease down on it with a micro cloth and press from the center of the disc outward to the edge, all the way around. Keep checking to see if the speckling goes away (it has for me on a number of occasions, after which the disc plays well again).

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CalOkie