What's new

Small is beautiful (1 Viewer)

Kerry_P

Auditioning
I am putting together a *small* screening space in my home office. I plan to use a front projector, but the maximum width for the screen is 48" and maximum throw from the projector to the screen is about 11 feet. Light control is not a problem, so I don't need a super-bright unit.

Can anyone recommend a projector for this modest application? For budget reasons I'm thinking of a used unit, so if there is one that might be popular on the resale market, let me know. Thanks!

- Kerry

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Kerry - you want something with a pretty good zoom then. Maybe a used LCD PJ?

Can you get the PJ closer to the screen than 11 ft? Most of the smaller PJs I'm familar with have a pretty short throw, so you might end up with an image bigger than 48"...

And welcome to the forum! I'm also a member of an Atlanta-based HT forum, so if you want a little more localized advice, stop by (the link is in my signature).

Kerry_P

Auditioning
//Curious. Why not consider an RPTV? Space reasons?//

Exactly. Adding a 24+" deep RPTV to this space would feel like I parked a truck in there. With a screen I only need a few inches and I can put an equipment rack in the same space.

- Kerry

Kerry_P

Auditioning
//Kerry - you want something with a pretty good zoom then. Maybe a used LCD PJ?//

That's what I had in mind (or a DLP, assuming you aren't using the terms interchangeably).

//Can you get the PJ closer to the screen than 11 ft?//

Yes, I have plenty of flexibilty on placement. I tested a small Compaq MP1600 from about 8' feet and got a good 48" image.

Thanks for the welcome. Do you guys meet every month? Any help on local sourcing would be great!

- Kerry

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
We meet about every other month, and there were a good number (around 40 or so) at our last meet. There are plenty of people selling stuff (I think someone was trying to get rid of an NEC LT150 last time) and there are also some that have businesses on the side, so you might be able to hook up with a demo model to purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks