What's new

A few words about…™ The Crusades – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If you look at Cecil B. DeMille's career, he never went small.

He went BIG.

The Ten Commandments
The Ten Commandments
Samson and Delilah
Reap the Wild Wind
North West Mounted Police
Union Pacific
The Plainsman
The Sign of the Cross
Cleopatra

and in 1935, The Crusades.

Shot in early 1935, and with a running time of over two hours, it's almost the length of the actual Crusades.

Shot by Victor Milner, who worked on many of the DeMille productions, it's a beautiful photographed mini-epic.
While I'm thrilled that Kino has released it on Blu-ray, it's an older transfer, with problematic grain.

But it is what it is. OCNs on these film do not survive.

As to Mr. DeMille, the reality is that he really didn't direct that many films after the silent era.

The 1930s - 9 features credited
The 1940s - 5 features
The 1950s - 3 features

But what he did, was BIG!

Image – 2.75

Audio – 3.5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works up-rezzed to 4k - No

Upgrade from DVD or import Blu-ray - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
....Samson and Delilah
Reap the Wild Wind
North West Mounted Police
Union Pacific
The Plainsman
The Sign of the Cross
Cleopatra

....OCNs on these film do not survive.

The 1930s - 9 features credited
The 1940s - 5 features

So are the OCNs for all of the DeMille films before the last two from the 1950s lost? Even the Technicolor ones? Did Paramount or someone else put them in the trash, as Fox did with so many of their old films?

I have the recent blu-ray of the 1947 Gary Cooper Technicolor epic Unconquered, and the picture quality is mediocre from my pov. I thought they just hadn't remastered from the three-strip Technicolor negatives, as Warner Archive does with their Technicolor movies, but probably the ocn is just lost.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
As is often the case, if you want history, buy a book...this is movie. And like most movies of this era, De Mille included, they kept the action coming and the facts slim. I love the fact that De Mille's daughter got to play the evil temptress part in this one. And the first go for Loretta Young, still a teenager at the time.
Sad that it wasn't a newer strike, but still nice to have in any collection.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
So are the OCNs for all of the DeMille films before the last two from the 1950s lost? Even the Technicolor ones? Did Paramount or someone else put them in the trash, as Fox did with so many of their old films?

I have the recent blu-ray of the 1947 Gary Cooper Technicolor epic Unconquered, and the picture quality is mediocre from my pov. I thought they just hadn't remastered from the three-strip Technicolor negatives, as Warner Archive does with their Technicolor movies, but probably the ocn is just lost.
Samson would probably be the only one with the OCN because paramount still owns the film the others are of course with Universal and who knows what exists

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Image – 2.75, harsh. I know you have to call 'em like you see 'em, but thought it looked okay (I have the French release), maybe as I don't project & only have a 47" TV I don't see the faults through my 72 year old eyeballs...& I can't agree with benbess, I think Unconquered looks very nice, not Warner Archive standard 3-strip, but then what is, & it's thousand times better looking than those dupey looking Technicolor films from Fox. I'm not happy with The Plainsman, too dark & contrasty.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I believe that the 3-strip negatives to all of the color films have survived. The b/w are all derived from dupes - some quite good, some less so.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Robert Harris's listing of The Ten Commandments twice in the initial post above got me to thinking: Is there any other director who made THREE different versions of the same story besides DeMille? ("The Squaw Man" 1914, 1918, and 1931)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Harris's listing of The Ten Commandments twice in the initial post above got me to thinking: Is there any other director who made THREE different versions of the same story besides DeMille? ("The Squaw Man" 1914, 1918, and 1931)
Interesting question. How many others are there that did their open remakes?

Ford, Hitchcock…

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Perhaps DeMille's own THE BUCCANEER qualifies, although he was billed as just "supervising executive producer" on the 1958 remake. He was ill at the time and died soon after the remake's release.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
The Crusades was not a major success but won DeMille the sympathy of the Egyptian government because of his positive portrayal of Muslims in the film so the story goes that Egypt opened its doors to the director when he went there to film scenes for The Ten Commandments in 1954.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Jean Negulesco directed Three Coins in the Fountain in 1954 and its remake The Pleasure Seekers in 1964.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The Crusades was not a major success but won DeMille the sympathy of the Egyptian government because of his positive portrayal of Muslims in the film so the story goes that Egypt opened its doors to the director when he went there to film scenes for The Ten Commandments in 1954.
One thing that I found interesting was the total lack of Jews being present in Jerusalem, that would have been there in that time frame. Christians, Muslims...ok...and? Is it just me or...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks