What's new

Multi-Venue Projector Question (1 Viewer)

ndmuscutt

Auditioning
Real Name
Noel
Hi there.

I am the pastor of a small church and am looking for advice on what kind of projector to buy.

We are wanting to host outdoor movie nights for the community and have a 25-foot screen for this. So we will need a projector that can handle this screen size. But we would also like this projector to be able to project in a classroom as well on a 10-foot screen. Essentially, this projector may travel a bit and it needs to be able to do both types of screens. Outdoors, we have all the space in the world, but our indoor classrooms would allow for a maximum of 20-feet throw length. We have a budget of around $1000 for a projector. Is this possible. If so, could someone recommend some good projectors that will fit this bill? Thanks.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t have a specific model in mind.

That said, if you haven’t already, check out the throw calculator at Projector Central. If you enter in your distances from screen and desired size, it can let you know which models accommodate that. So run it once for your outdoor configuration and again for your indoor configuration, and then note any model that shows up on both lists - that’ll be your list of workable options to choose from.

I do want to give a plug to Epson here - I think of all the projectors out there, especially budget models, Epson has the best placement flexibility due to the very generous zoom and lens shift built in, which would probably be helpful for dual purpose usage.

ndmuscutt

Auditioning
Real Name
Noel
Thanks so much, Josh. This is already very helpful. I really know almost nothing about projectors, so I am going to put my thoughts out there and I appreciate all of the steering I can get.
I did what Josh suggest above, but I had to reduce my outdoor screen size to 20-feet diagonal. I think that this is still big enough. The model that was suggested for both was the Optoma HD39HDR. I was wondering if you guys might have a look at the link and give me your thoughts. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

1. https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD39HDR-projection-calculator-pro.htm?td_=20&id_=240&l_=0

2. https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD39HDR-Projector-Review.htm

Also, this is the screen we are considering: Vivohome 20 foot screen (on Amazon)

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I agree with Josh. For the money, Epson is a great projector. I've been running my model 5010 for 10 years on the same bulb and since the pandemic we've been running a movie every night, 7 days a week.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks so much, Josh. This is already very helpful. I really know almost nothing about projectors, so I am going to put my thoughts out there and I appreciate all of the steering I can get.
I did what Josh suggest above, but I had to reduce my outdoor screen size to 20-feet diagonal. I think that this is still big enough. The model that was suggested for both was the Optoma HD39HDR. I was wondering if you guys might have a look at the link and give me your thoughts. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

1. https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD39HDR-projection-calculator-pro.htm?td_=20&id_=240&l_=0

Also, this is the screen we are considering: Vivohome 20 foot screen (on Amazon)
I don't know that this model will be acceptable for both of your stated use scenarios. It has very limited zoom capability and no lens shift whatsoever. This means placement options will be quite limited. The main feature this projector boasts is refresh rate, something important to gamers but not likely of concern to you.

I'd highly recommend a 3-LCD model as they tend to be better in mixed-use environments. DLP models like this , not so much. You may need to increase your budget by a factor of 3X to get an acceptable new unit but there are used options available which might be worth looking into.

This is just an example to illustrate the point. I haven't run it through the Projector Central calculator.

Last edited:

ndmuscutt

Auditioning
Real Name
Noel
I don't know that this model will be acceptable for both of your stated use scenarios. It has very limited zoom capability and no lens shift whatsoever. This means placement options will be quite limited. The main feature this projector boasts is refresh rate, something important to gamers but not likely of concern to you.

I'd highly recommend a 3-LCD model as they tend to be better in mixed-use environments. DLP models like this , not so much. You may need to increase your budget by a factor of 3X to get an acceptable new unit but there are used options available which might be worth looking into.

This just an example to illustrate the point. I haven't run it through the Projector Central calculator.

I really appreciate this input, John. Here are two models by Epson based on the Epson recommendation above. Could you give me your thoughts on either of these:

1. https://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-Pro_EX9240-projection-calculator-pro.htm?&l_=0

2. https://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_1288-projection-calculator-pro.htm?&l_=0

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Did you mean this Vivohome screen or maybe this one instead?

Neither one actually has 20ft diagonal screen -- the 20ft quoted is for the whole rig size, not the screen's viewing area itself. In the case of the bigger inflatable version, the actual screen size is 16ft diagonal. IF you need something closer to 20ft actual screen area, you'd probably need to get something bigger like the 24ft version.

Having said that, since you indicated you know very little about all this, there are some issues to consider carefully that you may not already be aware:

1. What John already said above about the Optoma's very low flexibility for setup, especially the complete lack of lens shift capability -- you'll likely need/want lens shift to provide some flexibility in projector placement to align the image on the screen (w/out too much distortion and/or deferring to too much image processing adjustments to correct such distortions that both degrade the picture). Of course, maybe optimal picture quality isn't a (high) priority if you're going to use something like those Vivohome inflatable screens, but that's only the outdoor 1/2 of your expected usage -- and some additional flexibility is likely welcome nonetheless for all the setup switching between outdoor and indoor use.

2. The quoted specs for light output performance of projectors (and how they're used by something like Projector Central's calculator) are not necessarily what you should count on. Their max ratings are usually unrealistic and/or yield issues like (very) significant color biasing/tinting... often toward green (as that Optoma's review indicated). Having said that, it does seem their calculator may be optionally including their actually measured values (from their review) as "ProjectorCentral's Estimate" (vs manufacturer specs), but it's unclear which version of their measured values are used (other than it looks much lower than manufacturer specs, which is normally expected).

3. Despite #2, the Optoma's (possibly significantly color biased) max output probably still won't be quite enough for 20ft diagonal projection in outdoor settings, especially on something like those inflatable Vivohome screens (that are quite likely less than 1.0 gain). In outdoor settings, the quoted 14fl of the Optoma (on 1.0 gain, 20ft screen) per the calculator would likely be (at least somewhat) challenged by whatever stray light outside... unless the space is in some reasonably secluded area w/ no nearby, directly visible, stray light sources. For reference, you probably normally want/need 16-20fl in a dark room (as the calculator essentially indicates). Switch to a substantially smaller say 15ft diagonal screen, and that should yield much better results that might not require completely dark environs, especially on something like those Vivohome screens -- again, note though that the 20ft quoted, big inflatable version actually only has 16ft screen area.

I did also take a quick look at the calculator for the 2 Epson alternatives you mentioned later, but their results only seem to be based on (unrealistically high?) manufacturer specs (unlike the Optoma)... and they seem to indicate both might not be (quite) as bright as the Optoma in actual practice (even though the calculator gives substantially higher fl numbers for them).

Still, there are other aspects that come into play re: their comparative performances due to their difference in tech. Typically, single-chip DLPs like the Optoma may yield brighter whites and greater perceived contrast, but dimmer and/or less vibrant/saturated (and possibly less accurate) colors, than 3-chip LCDs like the Epsons. And generally, brightness measurements (like ANSI lumens specs) typically care mostly/only about bright whites and undervalue color vibrancy (and accuracy), so tend to make single-chip DLPs seem/measure brighter than they'll look in actual practice.

You might end up finding you'll need to buy from a dealer that offers a reasonably convenient, generous return/exchange policy to find and settle on a projector that best meets the needs...

4. What will you be doing for sound? Although most these projectors come w/ a built-in speaker, it is usually waaay underpowered (and very limited in frequency range) for watching movies, especially in large spaces and outdoors -- they're really only barely usable in a pinch primarily for presentation-style voice/dialog in a small-ish room and w/ no punch at all.

Since you're also shopping for something like the Vivohome inflatable screen, there's good likelihood you don't already have the sound aspect set and might need to add that into your shopping, setup, etc as well. Since this is for a church-operated setup, I suppose you might already have some (maybe reasonably portable?) PA system you can use outdoors, but need to account for that (and whatever potential setup challenges) nonetheless. Thought I should point that out just in case you hadn't thought about the sound aspect.

5. You might find you're just best off going w/ 2 separate projectors to best suit the 2 different use cases on top of not regularly needing to move the single projector between the 2 locations/setups/uses. Maybe you could start w/ 1 projector, but plan on adding another cheaper one later given your budget constraints.

What exactly is the use case for the classroom? Is it primarily for classroom/business-type/style presentation possibly w/ some lights on? Or will there also be watching movies and such in that setting?

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I really appreciate this input, John. Here are two models by Epson based on the Epson recommendation above. Could you give me your thoughts on either of these:

1. https://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-Pro_EX9240-projection-calculator-pro.htm?&l_=0

2. https://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_1288-projection-calculator-pro.htm?&l_=0
These are very similar models. In a brief scan I couldn't find any significant differences in the major specs. Both offer 1.6X manual zoom and possibly some amount of digital zoom on top of that. This means placement distance from the screen shouldn't be an issue in indoor or outdoor use. Neither model has lens shift capability so you would have to be able to center the projector [both vertically and horizontally] at the placement location. I think you would be fine with either of these for casual use as long as you understand their limitations.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You might end up finding you'll need to buy from a dealer that offers a reasonably convenient, generous return/exchange policy to find and settle on a projector that best meets the needs...
I Agree. It's just hard to know exactly how a projector [especially budget ones] will perform in real-word environments.
You might find you're just best off going w/ 2 separate projectors to best suit the 2 different use cases on top of not regularly needing to move the single projector between the 2 locations/setups/uses.
I was originally thinking the same but didn't mention it based on the stated budget.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
One more thing to point out and (re)emphasize (that may have been too understated) about the lack of lens shift in those projectors:

I tried looking for details about projected image placement/alignment (relative to the projector/lens) in the Optoma projector's review, but surprisingly, they didn't give any despite noting the lack of lens shift.

The projected image might be aligned w/ one horizontal edge/side roughly around lens level (give or take some bit)... or it might be (much?) more (vertically) central to the image -- the latter might be more common to business-class/presentation-style projectors or ones offering good amount of lens shifting flexibility, but that might not always true. The review didn't say, and that can be very problematic depending on how you'll need to set it up (in both situations).

Remember, you'll need to set it up so the project light is not blocked by anything, including the audience -- and you'll also need to be concerned about how/where cables and such run around/along the space and foot traffic, etc...

Ideally, you should find this out (and plan accordingly) before buying.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
One more thing to point out and (re)emphasize (that may have been too understated) about the lack of lens shift in those projectors:

I tried looking for details about projected image placement/alignment (relative to the projector/lens) in the Optoma projector's review, but surprisingly, they didn't give any despite noting the lack of lens shift.

The projected image might be aligned w/ one horizontal edge/side roughly around lens level (give or take some bit)... or it might be (much?) more (vertically) central to the image -- the latter might be more common to business-class/presentation-style projectors or ones offering good amount of lens shifting flexibility, but that might not always true. The review didn't say, and that can be very problematic depending on how you'll need to set it up (in both situations).

Remember, you'll need to set it up so the project light is not blocked by anything, including the audience -- and you'll also need to be concerned about how/where cables and such run around/along the space and foot traffic, etc...

Ideally, you should find this out (and plan accordingly) before buying.

_Man_

IF that doesn't seem clear enough, maybe have a look at this article:

FWIW, Optoma does indicate in its spec sheet an offset of 116% +/-5% for that projector, but as the article indicates, it may not be clear what that actually means w/out further/better context.

_Man_

sfyalek

Agent
Real Name
Yalek
Hi there.

I am the pastor of a small church and am looking for advice on what kind of projector to buy.

We are wanting to host outdoor movie nights for the community and have a 25-foot screen for this. So we will need a projector that can handle this screen size. But we would also like this projector to be able to project in a classroom as well on a 10-foot screen. Essentially, this projector may travel a bit and it needs to be able to do both types of screens. Outdoors, we have all the space in the world, but our indoor classrooms would allow for a maximum of 20-feet throw length. We have a budget of around $1000 for a projector. Is this possible. If so, could someone recommend some good projectors that will fit this bill? Thanks.
I don’t have a model in my mind but the projector you are looking for should be a long throw model with at least 2500-3000 lumix. I think you should look into Eason, BenQ and Optumix, normally have higher lumix than other brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks