What's new

Should I get an SVS sub? (1 Viewer)

timNGY

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking to upgrade and add a sub to my hometheater. Will be running Panny PT-AE900U projector onto Carada 114" BW screen, and front speakers are B&W DM604, center LCR6, and surrounds DM602 S2. Since the front speakers are already large and have adequate bass, would adding say a SVS 20-39PC+ or PB12+ significantly add to the home theater experience?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Absolutely. Your main speakers will never come ANYWHERE close to the bass produced by one of the Plus subs.

timNGY

Stunt Coordinator
John and Alan,

Thanks for the responses. Just a little background, the room is in the basement (carpet over concrete foundation) and measure 12'wide by 23'long by 9'ceiling (~2,500 ft3). At the front to the left opens up to a 12'x12' room (used for office). I've read up on the SVS lineup, and the Ultras are out of my budget.:frowning: So far I've narrowed down to:

20-39PCi 320W $599
20-39PC+ 525W $825

PB12-ISD 320W $599 (counterpart to 20-39PCi)
PB12-ISD/V 320W $699 (counterpart to ?)
PB12+ 525W $899 (counterpart to 20-39PC+)

Any thoughts or insight on which sub fits best for my application?

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Tim: In a basement surrounded by concrete, and in a medium sized room that opens up into another area, I'd recommend the PB12-ISD/2 if you can swing $899. I used to own that sub and it beat the living hell out of my house. I had it in a very open area - the family room - with cathedral 18' cathedral ceilings and openings into other areas. It was a lot of space to fill....and that thing filled it easily. If you can't swing the $899, I think my second choice would be the 25-31PC+. The cylinde subs are a bit less expensive to build, and they give you a tad more bang for the buck than the boxes. The 25-31+ will have greater output than the 20-39+, which I think you may want since you're in the basement. I used to own the 25-31PCi....loved it :)

Others may have different opinions....just my $.02, bro

timNGY

Stunt Coordinator
AlanZ,

Actually the room is the bottom level of a townhouse, which sits at ground level, no below ground levels. And yes, its on a concrete slab. So you're saying the 25-31PC+ will have better overall bass, but doesn't it go down to 25HZ and not 20Hz for the 20-39PC+? Budget in the $800-$900 range won't be an issue, since I always want quality in most if not all of my purchases. But man, the PB12-ISD/2 sure does sound scary with two drivers. I want bass, but not sure I want to rattle the neighbors either. And the enclosure is probably sizeable?

Is there a significant advantage going up the the Plus line (either boxed or cylindrical)?

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Tim: Yep, the 25-31 will play louder, but won't hit quite as low as the 20-39. I've actually owned both of them and preferred the 25-31. Each option involves a trade-off, so you just have to decide what is more important to you. Once I felt the 25-31 rearrange my hair and move my pantleg, I was sold :)

The PB12-ISD/2 is big, yes....i won't lie to you. But the cool thing is that for only a little more money, you get the ability to tune it to your preference (output vs. extension), and you'll have more headroom than just the single driver sub.

If you're going to go single cylinder, I'd definitely say that there is an advantage going to the plus line. I have not owned an SVS with the plus driver, so I'm only going on what I know about their ISD driver and also what I've read from others. That's why I recommend the 25-31+ if you don't want to go to the big beast. The 25-31+ has a relatively small footprint, it has plenty of headroom, and just looks cool. Some people don't like the cylinders, but I love them. And don't get me wrong, the 20-39 options are awesome too....I just prefer the little one, cause it will literally knock your ass off.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Concrete changes things a bit, and that can hurt your bass - in particular tactile response, so I'd have to agree with Alan. I'd say you might consider the 25-31+ and some bass shakers to round out the tactile portion of the lowest bits or a 12/2 for more air movement.

Brent_S

Second Unit
Tim, maybe I'm just easier to please than some folks. I've heard the 20-39PC+ in a friend's basement that's about the same size as your space and I can't imagine needing more output. Purely subjective since I didn't take any SPL measurements, but he was showing off and the SV never complained. It was enough to make me jealous and I have dual NHT1259s sitting right behind my sofa while the 20-39 was probably 10-12 feet away.

On the other hand, if the $899 is in your budget, go ahead and get the PB12-ISD/2 and you'll never have to wonder "what if?". There's also that 45 day trial period, you just pay shipping.

Saw a thread from Tom V once discussing the differences between the different driver models. In the end, I believe it worked out to roughly 2-3 db increments for each driver in the 20-30 hz range. The distortion of each driver near its limits also goes down a bit as you move up the SVS driver scale. If I'm remembering correctly, that would give the PB12-ISD/2 a 3-4db advantage over a single 12+ sub.

wbs

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Not to pile on, but if you don't mind the footprint, the PB12-ISD/2 is the sub to get in your budget. If the footprint is a concern, I would go with the 20-39PC+. The 25-31PC+ will have a bit more headroom above 25 Hz, but my guess is you'd wind up putting in a port plug once you've discovered truly deep bass, and in that case you'd be better off with the 20-39PC+.

-Robb

Jacob C

Second Unit

LOL, I think it was too late for that as soon as you looked at SVS. In my opinion go for the biggest one that fits your budget and isn't going to have WAF issues (many women just don't like a big sub sitting in the living room) if that is a concern for you.

Ron Temple

Stunt Coordinator
My family room is only 2000cube on concrete slab, but I have an opening into another 5000. The 20-39+ provides awesome output. I've heard the difference with this sub on wooden floors and a sealed room and it's significant. However, changing phase and running it a bit hot, I get the air to activate (if not the floor). It's very clean. The Plus driver is very articulate and from what I've read, it's closer to the Ultra than the ISD is to the Plus.

Brent_S

Second Unit
SVS used to offer package deals on dual cylinders. You might want to give them a call/write to see if they still do. They might make you an offer you can't refuse.

Don't overlook the passive cylinders with something like a Nady pro amp. Get one 20-39CS+ now. If it's not quite enough, you've got an extra amp channel and just need to get a matching cylinder when funds allow. If you've got a spare amp already sitting around, even better.

Not that I think you need dual drivers, ISD or Plus, but it'll take away any chance of buyer's remorse.

wbs

timNGY

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. I'm thinking of leaning towards the boxed series, maybe PB12+, because the cylinders are pretty high (31" - 39") and my screen is about 29" from the floor.

Where is the best placement for a sub? Front? Inside or outside front speakers?

How about the surrounds? How should they be place near the rear seating area? I'll be running 5.1, and don't have the LSB or RSB.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
timNGY wrote:

PB12-ISD 320W $599 (counterpart to 20-39PCi)

---------------------------------

Actually the PB12-ISD 320W is the counterpart to 25-31PCi not the 20-39pci.

timNGY

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the responses. Just wanted to update everyone, that I decided on the PB12+ in textured black. As mentioned in an earlier response, the cylinders are too tall for my screen height, and the boxed subs fit the bill. Didn't realize that the +s were on backorder. Forgot the gentleman's name, but the sales person I talked to (said he was also owner) was very helpful, and had a lot of good information to help me make my choice. Now, the wait......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks