What's new

Need help with a large bonus room (1 Viewer)

Gregory Pauswinski

Supporting Actor
Hello everyone! I recently bought a new house and one of the considerations was having enough space for a Home Theater room. This house has a large bonus room on the 2nd floor over the garage. In my old house, I used the living room as my Home Theater and had a projector screen I pulled down in front of the TV for movies. Not too long after having kids, I packed up my speakers because I didn't want them to be destroyed. I've been watching movies with Dolby Headphone for the last 8 years. I'm very excited to finally have my speakers again.

Here is a sketch of the bonus room with very rough measurements. There's a fan in the middle of the room.
beIONUml.jpg

The wall in the bottom right of the sketch is approximately 14'5" and that's where I want to put a projector screen. We currently have a 55" TV and I'm debating whether to save some projector bulb life by keeping the TV in there and having the projector screen come down over it. I don't necessarily need a huge screen for random TV watching, but I'm not opposed to it.

1) Is a fixed frame projector screen hanging on the wall preferable to a motorized one that comes down in front of the TV?

2) What size screen should I be looking at? It all seems to come down to my seating arrangements, so I need to get that figured out. I want to buy a 4k projector, but I'll start a thread in the displays area to talk about that.

We have a family of 4, so I want to plan enough seating for the whole family plus seating for friends. We're thinking we should have seating for maybe 6-8. I imagine that 90% of the time it will be just me watching stuff, though, so setting everything up for the sweet spot is very important. I want to have at least 4 nice home theater seats, but not all of the seating needs to be too fancy. I think I'd prefer not to have a riser for a second row of seating because it feels to me like it might be weird in the room, but I'm definitely open to ideas.

3) How do I arrange seating for approximately 6-8 while maintaining the sweet spot? Do I need to plan for an odd number of seats to keep everything aesthetically balanced?

My plan is to wire the room for a 7.1.4 setup, but I'll start with a 5.1.4 setup since I have 5.1 now.
These guides from Dolby seem like exactly what I need:
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1.4-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.html
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-guides/7.1.4-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.html

Some of my current equipment:
TV: TCL 55R615
Speakers: B&W CDM 7SE
Center: B&W CDM CSE
Rear: B&W DM601
Sub: SVS 16-46PC with upgraded (ultra?) driver
BD Player: Sony UBP-X700 4K Ultra HD

Definitely replacing:
Receiver: Marantz SR7005 - Gotta upgrade to Atmos.
Projector: Panasonic PT-AE1000U - the motor in the dynamic iris is sticking, so this needs to be replaced ASAP.

At first I thought I'd need to do some major soundproofing to the room, but the noise level outside of the bonus room is lower than I expected. I probably need to do something, though. The door feels like the first thing that should be changed because it has a gap at the bottom and seems pretty thin.

4) What are the best "bang for your buck" soundproofing items I should consider?

5) Any recommendations for center and rear speaker stands? I don't have anything for my center at the moment and my rear speakers are just sitting on random side tables.

6) What should I put my equipment in and where should that go? Right now I have a TV stand, but the center speaker completely blocks the equipment in it, so I want to get rid of the stand.

7) Do I run conduit through the floor for speaker wiring? The floors need to be re-carpeted anyway.

I've been reading everything I can on here and other forums, but honestly I'm pretty overwhelmed trying to figure out all of the pieces. I think I'm going to talk with some of the folks at a nice Home Theater store in the area to see if I can get some recommendations, but I want to try to keep my expenses from getting out of control. I probably need a professional to install the ceiling speakers and projector wiring.

I know I'll have a million other questions as I go, but I appreciate any help I can get.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just a thought on seating. Will some viewers be kids, where some beanbags or something like that might work? Something that can easily be moved around.

What about budget?

I would definitely do a motorized screen that comes down in front of the TV, and between the L/R speakers, just like you said, so you aren't locked into the projector for everything.

Gregory Pauswinski

Supporting Actor
Yes. Thanks for the idea. I have a 5 and an 8 year old. I do envision this room being used for them to have friends over - especially as they get older, but I also want to have movie nights with friends.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
1) Is a fixed frame projector screen hanging on the wall preferable to a motorized one that comes down in front of the TV?

Unless this will be a multi-purpose room where the screen would be either at risk or a distraction at certain times I would stick with a fixed screen.

2) What size screen should I be looking at? It all seems to come down to my seating arrangements, so I need to get that figured out. I want to buy a 4k projector, but I'll start a thread in the displays area to talk about that.

My wall is about 11ft across and I was barely able to shoehorn in a 135 inch 16x9 screen. You might be able to go slightly larger but probably best to stay in that range.

We have a family of 4, so I want to plan enough seating for the whole family plus seating for friends. We're thinking we should have seating for maybe 6-8. I imagine that 90% of the time it will be just me watching stuff, though, so setting everything up for the sweet spot is very important. I want to have at least 4 nice home theater seats, but not all of the seating needs to be too fancy. I think I'd prefer not to have a riser for a second row of seating because it feels to me like it might be weird in the room, but I'm definitely open to ideas.

I would go with matching seats throughout but that's just my preference. There is no practical reason for this.

Speaker placement and proper projector installation [to avoid excessive zoom and keystone use] will be crucial so take your time with this part. Be prepared for some experimentation with properly placing the speakers and use available online resources such as the Dolby site, especially for Atmos speakers.

Your projector will come with a chart that lets you know it's optimal positioning in your room. Since you're not new to projectors I'm assuming you already understand this. I've also found Projector Central quite useful over the years.

3) How do I arrange seating for approximately 6-8 while maintaining the sweet spot? Do I need to plan for an odd number of seats to keep everything aesthetically balanced?

A sweet "spot" is just that. Design the room with only your preferred seat in mind since you'll be the one enjoying it most of the time. Aside from enthusiasts, I doubt anyone knows or cares about this. I know my wife doesn't.

Click the link in my sig to see the evolution of my room.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Platelets