What's new

My ELAC speakers get here tomorrow! I have to mount the surrounds, how high & what mount should I use? (1 Viewer)

StoneHouse

Grip
Real Name
Mason
I hear good things about their subs. That’s all the experience I have with them.

Hey you're on! I just quoted you in another thread hoping you were on tonight.

Well, what do I do? Sounds weird but you're basically my primary source. In my head I was planning on coming here and asking which sub I should buy closer to Black Friday assuming there'd be some nice deals. I hate waiting, I'm eager lol but that was my plan.

Realizing how legitimate this Best Buy sale is, now I have no idea. HSU I think is the brand people were telling me about. I guess my budget could be anywhere from $400-600 ish.

If you were me, would you buy this one? Or would you wait for BF? Saving money is always great but I do want quality. Looking forward to your input.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF you can save the $$$ buying from BB instead, then use that savings toward a better sub. IIRC, your HT room isn't small, and that Elac sub you just linked just seems too whimpy me thinks -- it's only a 10" driver w/ 200W amp.

In fact, looks like Elac actually produces a "matching" Debut 2.0 sub w/ 12" driver at 500W, but there's no sale for it at BB. And in that price range, I'd much rather go w/ the other better known direct-sale subs instead.

Since you can save some on the other speakers, I would definitely suggest don't skimp on the sub. The sub can make a big diff supporting all the other speakers.

_Man_

StoneHouse

Grip
Real Name
Mason
IF you can save the $$$ buying from BB instead, then use that savings toward a better sub. IIRC, your HT room isn't small, and that Elac sub you just linked just seems too whimpy me thinks -- it's only a 10" driver w/ 200W amp.

In fact, looks like Elac actually produces a "matching" Debut 2.0 sub w/ 12" driver at 500W, but there's no sale for it at BB. And in that price range, I'd much rather go w/ the other better known direct-sale subs instead.

Since you can save some on the other speakers, I would definitely suggest don't skimp on the sub. The sub can make a big diff supporting all the other speakers.

_Man_

What do you think about this one that is also on sale at BB?

Would you do that you think? That's normally pretty expensive and 400w. Again I have probably 10% of the knowledge you have so let me know what you think.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I would either go with a SVS PB1000 or a BIC Acoustech PL-200 II sub. I have two of them and they have worked well for me for years.

StoneHouse

Grip
Real Name
Mason
I would either go with a SVS PB1000 or a BIC Acoustech PL-200 II sub. I have two of them and they have worked well for me for years.

On another place I asked, they said an HSU or Ryhthmik would walk all over an ELAC sub or the Klipsch I posted, do you agree with that? If so, what model of either of those subs would you get?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You’re nitpicking small differences. The fact is, the minimum for a truly capable sub is probably $1K. In a way you almost can’t have too much in a sub, within reason. Genuinely excellent subs will start more in the $2.5K range And will mostly come from dedicated sub manufacturers.

StoneHouse

Grip
Real Name
Mason
You’re nitpicking small differences. The fact is, the minimum for a truly capable sub is probably $1K. In a way you almost can’t have too much in a sub, within reason. Genuinely excellent subs will start more in the $2.5K range And will mostly come from dedicated sub manufacturers.

Ah. Crazy. Well, I believe it.

I guess in the end unless I go full on audiophile, I can't necessarily do one of the big ones.

Until then, now I'm really leaning towards http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html the VTF-2 MK5.

Unless I'd be making a mistake with that, let me know, I may do that once it's off backorder. It is funny though, again I had a $170~ish Dayton audio sub that rocks my whole house to the point where I had to keep it at 50% volume at most even during movies.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Mason, you keep starting new threads on the exact same subject. The three most recently posted in threads in this section are all yours and all on the same subject.

Start a thread on one subject and update that thread. I think you must have five threads all on this same subject.

@Sam Posten can you do something to clean this up? Sorry to drag you in, but I'm not sure what to do.

StoneHouse

Grip
Real Name
Mason
Mason, you keep starting new threads on the exact same subject. The three most recently posted in threads in this section are all yours and all on the same subject.

Start a thread on one subject and update that thread. I think you must have five threads all on this same subject.

@Sam Posten can you do something to clean this up? Sorry to drag you in, but I'm not sure what to do.

5? I don't think so.

1. I made here as my first intro, asking for guidance.

2. I made a new thread a while later after narrowing it down to two speaker options. This is when you said don't make multiple so I kept it to this one.

3. I made a thread asking about mounting speakers, because that's a different topic, asking which mounts work best.

Most forums don't get bumped like this one seems like it does so I'm just used to that format where a new thread is needed. However I only made a new separate thread when asking about mounts. Is it really that big of a deal?

But alright, if you're telling me I'll get the same high response ratio if I post in an old thread versus make a new one, here's a new question. My ELAC speakers arrived, I'm extremely excited. Though, I didn't realize this, they are GIGANTIC lol. The surrounds are the size of a very large watermelon. Do you need any sort of special mount to mount these to the wall? The surrounds I mean.

Here's one from Amazon Here

Part two to my questions, for those speaker mounts, is it OK to drill a screw from the mount into the base of the ELAC Debut 2.0 speaker? Will screwing the surround speaker into the mount so it doesn't slide hurt or damage the sound/longevity of anything?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would just use small shelves instead of speaker mounts. Those speakers aren’t really designed for wall mounts. Like you said, they’re fairly large.

StoneHouse

Grip
Real Name
Mason
I would just use small shelves instead of speaker mounts. Those speakers aren’t really designed for wall mounts. Like you said, they’re fairly large.

Lol. They're gigantic. Like, hilariously gigantic. The only downside with using a shelf is then I'll have speaker wire randomly coming down my wall, the homeowner had speaker wires come through the wall at about 6 feet tall ported through the walls. Would it be a total no-go to wall mount them? To avoid weird wiring I'm tempted to.

Anyway, here's a separate question for you, if you don't mind. I'm ready to buy my sub now. Per your advice, my two HSU options were the or the HSU VTF-2 MK5 for $540ish or HSU VTF-3 MK5 for $800 ish. I think I was going to get one HSU VTF-2 MK5 because I just have this gut feeling that will be REALLY good for me, somebody who's never had any nice setup like this. I could be wrong but anyway, was leaning that way to save a few hundred.

However, somebody just pointed out this big sale on: Kkipsch R-112SW 12" 600W subs they'd be $300 each. So now I have to decide between these or the single HSU sub.

What would you do?

Note that my ELAC speakers are black, and the Klipsch one is cherry... I can't decide if that's a bad move and would look ugly, or if it's cool, I guess I'm open to input on that too.

StoneHouse

Grip
Real Name
Mason
Well, false alarm John, wife vetod the Klipsch subs due to the color lol. Though I guess I'd still be curious if you think that option was better.

Also, thanks again for advice, just so you know I chose your advice over everything else I read with the ELAC speakers.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, false alarm John, wife vetod the Klipsch subs due to the color lol. Though I guess I'd still be curious if you think that option was better.

Also, thanks again for advice, just so you know I chose your advice over everything else I read with the ELAC speakers.
That's called WAF (wife acceptance factor) and it definitely plays a large part.

I hope the like the ELACs. They're better than they have any reason to be for the price. I said in the the beginning that they're not flashy, which makes an impact, but can get tiresome. They're just excellent speakers that you can live with for a long time. Give them some time to break in. They'll open up more as they get use.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Lol. They're gigantic. Like, hilariously gigantic. The only downside with using a shelf is then I'll have speaker wire randomly coming down my wall, the homeowner had speaker wires come through the wall at about 6 feet tall ported through the walls. Would it be a total no-go to wall mount them? To avoid weird wiring I'm tempted to.

Anyway, here's a separate question for you, if you don't mind. I'm ready to buy my sub now. Per your advice, my two HSU options were the or the HSU VTF-2 MK5 for $540ish or HSU VTF-3 MK5 for $800 ish. I think I was going to get one HSU VTF-2 MK5 because I just have this gut feeling that will be REALLY good for me, somebody who's never had any nice setup like this. I could be wrong but anyway, was leaning that way to save a few hundred.

However, somebody just pointed out this big sale on: Kkipsch R-112SW 12" 600W subs they'd be $300 each. So now I have to decide between these or the single HSU sub.

What would you do?

Note that my ELAC speakers are black, and the Klipsch one is cherry... I can't decide if that's a bad move and would look ugly, or if it's cool, I guess I'm open to input on that too.

Given your situation (and disposition and probably WAF), I suppose going w/ the Hsu VTF-2 probably makes most sense at this point.

You could always add a 2nd matching VTF-2 later if you find you need/want more sub bass.

RE: the Klipsch, seems like they've become an increasingly mass market, low-fi brand and probably not nearly as reliable long term, especially compared to the major players for subwoofers. Maybe that sub might make a decent enough match for whichever Klipsch HT-in-box set of (horn-based) speakers, but that's not what you went with though. Not sure if subs can even be made to a matching bright sound (like horn tweeters have), but they surely tried to give that sub the (visual) appearance of bright, haha... Forget your wife; it would probably annoy the heck out of me too if set up somewhere visible... and possibly worsen the video presentation of my FP setup (in darkened HT room)... :lol:

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, false alarm John, wife vetod the Klipsch subs due to the color lol. Though I guess I'd still be curious if you think that option was better
I read that wrong. I thought she favored the Klipsch. This is better. Like Man said, Klipsch is all marketing, and they are really good at marketing. You're much better off with HSU or SVS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks