Shiva--Amplifier & Box

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Morrison, Jun 24, 2002.

1. James Morrison

I'm thinking of using one of Adire's Shivas for my 80 & under frequency range.

I've herd a lot about them being used in the car audio scene but never in home audio(I'm new to this). My question is what type of box are they typically put in & what type of amplifier is a good match-up for it?

Thanks for the help,

James Morrison

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

3. James Morrison

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    However, if you can deal with the larger enclosure, the Tempest gets you much more for your money.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually I do have a Tempest. It's in a 3.14cuft. enclosure in the back of my Jeep. =)

Thanks for the reply,

James

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You're welcome.

3.14 ft^3 for a Tempest. That's an enclosure size I'd use for a Shiva :p)

If you plan on strickly music you may want to stick with sealed for your system. But if you plan on doing a lot of movie watching I'd look at the vented and PR (only if you don't mind the extra $100-$200 for the PRs) allignments.

The recommended vented Shiva allignments range from 3 ft^3 to 5 ft^3 and the vented Tempest allignments range from around 6.5 ft^3 to 12 ft^3.

5. James Morrison

Well I'm using it in an SUV, Sealed box. It's a little different than home use.

If I go w/ one of Adire's drivers, I'll contact Dan for design recomendations. I think that I might just go w/ a JBL or DLS sub though.

But if I were to use one, what kind of amplifier would I want?

Thanks again,

James

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The two amps I mentioned above are the most popular for both shiva and tempest based home subs.
    And agreed, a suv cabin is just a little different than a room [​IMG] but that small of an enclosure with a tempest will still have a pretty high Q.

7. James Morrison

Ahhh Sorry--Forgot that you mentioned them =)