What's new

Shiva--Amplifier & Box (1 Viewer)

I'm thinking of using one of Adire's Shivas for my 80 & under frequency range.

I've herd a lot about them being used in the car audio scene but never in home audio(I'm new to this). My question is what type of box are they typically put in & what type of amplifier is a good match-up for it?

Thanks for the help,

James Morrison

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I've herd a lot about them being used in the car audio scene but never in home audio
That's strange, it's actually just the opposite. The driver was designed to the requests of a DIY Sub Building mailing list for home use. Recently though Adire has become quite popular in the car scene because their drivers just wax most stuff the car people are used to and at 1/2 to 1/3 the price no less.
Anyways Adire's AVA250 or the Parts Express's 300-794 are perfect matches for the Shiva. As for appropriate allignments check out this page:
http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/shiva_apps.htm
However, if you can deal with the larger enclosure, the Tempest gets you much more for your money.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, if you can deal with the larger enclosure, the Tempest gets you much more for your money.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually I do have a Tempest. It's in a 3.14cuft. enclosure in the back of my Jeep. =)

Thanks for the reply,

James

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
You're welcome.

3.14 ft^3 for a Tempest. That's an enclosure size I'd use for a Shiva :p)

If you plan on strickly music you may want to stick with sealed for your system. But if you plan on doing a lot of movie watching I'd look at the vented and PR (only if you don't mind the extra $100-$200 for the PRs) allignments.

The recommended vented Shiva allignments range from 3 ft^3 to 5 ft^3 and the vented Tempest allignments range from around 6.5 ft^3 to 12 ft^3.

Well I'm using it in an SUV, Sealed box. It's a little different than home use.

If I go w/ one of Adire's drivers, I'll contact Dan for design recomendations. I think that I might just go w/ a JBL or DLS sub though.

But if I were to use one, what kind of amplifier would I want?

Thanks again,

James

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The two amps I mentioned above are the most popular for both shiva and tempest based home subs.
And agreed, a suv cabin is just a little different than a room ;) but that small of an enclosure with a tempest will still have a pretty high Q.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks