Want to build my own sub

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Leonard B, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Leonard B

Leonard B Stunt Coordinator

I am very new to DIY, but I find the idea of building a subwoofer very appealing, especially if it can outperform more expensive subwoofers. I was thinking of combining the Adire AVA250 250 watt subwoofer plate amplifier with the Adire Shiva 12" subwoofer driver(from Creative Sound Solutions). I have seen a few box designs from the Adire website, but have not decided on one yet (the sub would be for home theater use almost exclusively). I'm fairly handy with tools and the idea of building a box doesn't seem too intimidating(at least not until I get started [​IMG] ). My question is: with the amp and driver and box, do I need anything else to build the sub? Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

You probably want to go with some flared ports and some closed cell foam to make some gaskets. I use a Tempest and AVA250 in the EBS alignment. That amp is plenty of power in my opinion but I have heard that they might be replacing it with a more powerful version soon. I have ordered all my Diy sub stuff from CSS and had no problems.

3. perry web

perry web Stunt Coordinator

I am building my first sub also, I am just waiting for my warrenty replacement shiva to arive and I am done. (the first was defective, very fast replacement. good company)

I lurked and searched on this website for awhile then posted some questions.

Almost every question I had was already asked so I would do some research. If you do not feel like doing that I would build one of adire plans w/o mods. people swear by them.

with that said, I would download unibox404. it is a shareware excel program to model speakers.

I knew nothing when i started so I searched and found other peoples suggestions and worked backwards to try and get the same answers. this taught me the software.

Then just start tweeking. You will need to figure out volume of the cabinet you want and figure out the port size and length.

when done you can post your finding and ask someone to check them for you.

here is another website that has good info on differnt types of subs.

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/

good luck and have fun.

4. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Tim,

Actually, last evening, I was just looking over the following site on a pair of Transmission line subs. I think these things are wild. - T-Line Sub Project

6. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

7. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Leonard,

My experience is that the hardest part is the agonizing over what design to use. After months of hand-wringing -- Adire, PE or something else? 12 or 15 inch? Which amp? Vented or sealed? What alignment? etc. -- I bit the bullet and picked one. I happened to pick a sealed Tempest with an AVA 250 and am very happy, but I can tell you that numerous designs and drivers have strong advocates.

So, my best advice is, Pick one and make some dust!

Happy listening.

Tempest Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php