1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Nearing end of Shiva project...questions

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Leonard B, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Leonard B

Leonard B Stunt Coordinator

I am working on building my first subwoofer. It is the Shiva EBS 142.5L, using the 300-794 250watt Parts Express amplifier (due to arrive Monday). I have the Shiva, the PF-4 flared port and the subwoofer mounting kit from Creative Sound Solutions. I have finished building the box according the plans at the Adire Web site. I have some questions before beginning the last stages of construction (please bear with me).
    1.Should I use ABS glue to assemble the port kit?
    2.The Shiva has screw holes that are partially blocked by rubber. Should I trim it off to expose the holes?
    3.The subwoofer mounting kit includes a stick on gasket. For a good fit, should I cut the gasket and stick it between the holes?
    4.How much polyfill should I use? It is a 5 cubic foot box.
    5.Any advice on mounting T nuts?
    6.To mount the amp, can I use coarse particle board screws?
    Sorry for all the questions, but since I am so close to finishing, I don't want to make any avoidable mistakes.
    Thanks

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

There are two opionions of T-nuts. Some like 'em and some hate 'em. Personally, I've never used them. All the drivers that I've installed have had the screws directly applied through the driver holes an into the wood to hold the driver in place.

3. Leonard B

Leonard B Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. Any opinions on using ABS glue?

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

No opinion on ABS glue but

5)If your going to use T-nuts, glue some plywood pads on the inside of the baffel where the t-nuts will mount. The nuts bite much better into wood than MDF. The credit for that crucial tip belongs to Patrick Sun. If your baffel is plywood, disregard.

6) No problem, but drill pilot holes.

5. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

And for the final question:

Since this is a vented box, you don't need to add any polyfill. Doing so will marginally increase the apparent size of the box, which you may or may not want/require. As this is being used as a subwoofer, you presumably have a fourth order (24dB/octave) low pass filter at 100Hz or below. There's little you need to do as far as absorbing midrange frequencies inside the box, which is essentially all polyfill is good for, other than the aforementioned increasing of apparent box volume.

Aaron Gilbert