What's new

I need a recommendation for a new receiver (2 Viewers)

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
As a current Yamaha owner I was going to respond to your negative Yamaha comments, but I have no reason to now, since you haven’t listened to a Yamaha in over a decade.
I'll chime in regarding something nobody has brought up: Customer Service. YAMAHA has been truly, outstanding. I'm in the States, they have customer service in the States. Answer calls within reasonable time. Knowledgeable technicians, not just phone operators. Dudes, that know what the heck they're talking about. Haven't called in a while but never had an issue about a purchase out of warrantee, or date of purchase hassles. PS: Never, ever, ever buy a Sony, for whatever reason. Ever.

sinisanav

Agent
Real Name
Sinisa Vujkovic
Recently bought second hand Anthem AVM-60 pre/pro, very happy with the upgrade it brought over 15 year old ONKYO. as _Man_ mentioned above, software quirks not present with this model, and if not interested in going 8K, this should last for years to come. ARC EQ software is really slick and does a good job with the sound.
So if you are receiver person look into one of the Anthem MRX models, old or new.

Last edited:

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I'll chime in regarding something nobody has brought up: Customer Service. YAMAHA has been truly, outstanding. I'm in the States, they have customer service in the States. Answer calls within reasonable time. Knowledgeable technicians, not just phone operators. Dudes, that know what the heck they're talking about. Haven't called in a while but never had an issue about a purchase out of warrantee, or date of purchase hassles. PS: Never, ever, ever buy a Sony, for whatever reason. Ever.
You know what the best customer service is?? The customer service department you never have to use!

I was sorely disappointed in Onkyo's customer service as I felt I knew more about their product than they did. Yes, had to use it because the manual had so many errors, felt the receiver was malfunctioning only to learn it was by design. That being rerouting surround channel information to the wrong surround speakers which to me is a design flaw. Plus there were many omissions in the manual over displays and info. that the receiver had.

Yamahas were just defective, no need to confirm it with customer support, just returned them.

Never had an issue with Denon receivers to need to call customer support.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Regarding upgrading receivers, this was my most recent trip to Best Buy:

IMG_1034.jpeg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Judging by the IR repeater adhesive glue on the receivers front plate, the receiver could had been in a cabinet with inadequate cooling and was damaged by overheating.
Nope that was never an issue. I think that’s light reflection not a glue. I don’t use IR repeaters. They were in perfect working order but I couldn’t give them away nobody wanted Em. So to recycling they went.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Nope that was never an issue. I think that’s light reflection not a glue. I don’t use IR repeaters. They were in perfect working order but I couldn’t give them away nobody wanted Em. So to recycling they went.
Didn't realize they were yours. Looked like returned, defective items that Best Buy just threw in a cart.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
In the last 2 years I have given away 2 receivers and recycled 2. 3 of my 4 current receivers are HDMI 2.1 capable and I’m dreading about thinking of upgrading the big boy 7.1.4 system when my basement finally goes OLED.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Regarding upgrading receivers, this was my most recent trip to Best Buy:

View attachment 184893
I usually am hesitant from purchasing open box receivers at Best Buy if they are demo units that came out of Magnolia - they rarely if ever get turned off and therefore have been powered on 24/7 for nearly a year at least. Receivers in the Best Buy home theater area, on the other hand, are rarely powered on, but don’t have the supposedly higher end DAC’s.

Dartman

Auditioning
Real Name
Terry Glunz
Been trying to sell 3 of my older 7.1 receivers here and so far only 1 bite and I guess he found a better deal.
Onkyo 898, Denon 3808ci, and a Denon 4310ci.
The Onkyo everything works perfectly but no hdmi. The 3808ci the hdmi Dolby logic is screwed up but the optical and coaxial surround modes work fine.
The 4310ci the network card is bad but everything else is fine and I loved the HD Radio tuner. I might have to give them away or recycle them eventually but they have a shelf in my shed for now.
Ended up with a perfect Refurbished Denon X4700H for a deal so everything must go 😎

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Been trying to sell 3 of my older 7.1 receivers here and so far only 1 bite and I guess he found a better deal.
Onkyo 898, Denon 3808ci, and a Denon 4310ci.
The Onkyo everything works perfectly but no hdmi. The 3808ci the hdmi Dolby logic is screwed up but the optical and coaxial surround modes work fine.
The 4310ci the network card is bad but everything else is fine and I loved the HD Radio tuner. I might have to give them away or recycle them eventually but they have a shelf in my shed for now.
Ended up with a perfect Refurbished Denon X4700H for a deal so everything must go 😎
Honestly, they’re not worth anything. So maybe try to find someone who will take them, or recycle them. We’ve all been there.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
In today's world, separate audio/HT components are not wanted by most. They listen to crappy MP3s and watch movies on crappy soundbars which they think is great. No one wants to take the time to do better, or for a better price. They want easy and simple and are willing to do without, at a higher price. Pathetic IMO.

I have many speakers and components that I offered cheap to friends and co-workers. They have no interest in anything other than a soundbar.

So I just store it. I'm in the old school mindset that you don't throw away money. Eventually I'll repurpose it or find someone who wants it.

I have 3 pairs of speakers (Polk & Infinity), 3 center channel speakers (Polk & Infinity), and 4 subwoofers (Polk, Klipsch and Yamaha). Shipping costs are crazy so I only wanted to sell locally and to people I know. Now online market places want your SS# and personal info. NO WAY, with the way facebook and all these websites gets hacked.

I decided against selling my Denon AVR-3803 since it doesn't have HDMI. Just to hard to make compatible with cheap adapters to people who don't know how. Plus crazy Denon doesn't display info on front screen making On Screen Display mandatory to use it, with analog composite video or S-Video output.

Last edited:

Dartman

Auditioning
Real Name
Terry Glunz
We'll see what happens. If someone really wanted one of them and would actually use them I'd probably give them to them. I usually give my leftover TVs to family and friends but I kept my TCL 65 825 mini led set. Too good to just give away and it still looks great in my bedroom on my huge dresser.

YANG

Screenwriter
4 AVRs here from 2 audio groups,
Sound United vs Premium Audio
19d4aa7784664235007d29dd2e147d87fb324f69.jpeg

501b094791130a66f8e8a2488fba6302eca1723c.jpeg

priced closely in the range, with multi-channel preouts.
a tough choice for buyers... only if one not so crazy over Auro3D.​

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^IF they're all priced closely together, I'd most likely go w/ either the Marantz or Denon (though I'd much rather go w/ separates myself, but that of course costs significantly more).

Even if power output and sound quality are actually exactly the same -- and if there are any noticeable diffs, I'd guess the Marantz might be best, followed very closely by the Denon, ahead of the Pioneer and Onkyo -- and you don't care about IMAX nor Dirac, I'd definitely prefer the arrangement of audio connections of the Marantz and Denon over the Pioneer and Onkyo.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^^And oh, looks like what might probably be driving up the cost of the Pioneer and Onkyo to make them similarly priced as the Marantz and Denon is the integration of legacy analog video sources/inputs (that the M&D leave off).

IF one doesn't need to handle analog video sources, probably shouldn't bother considering that particular Pioneer and Onkyo at all.

_Man_

YANG

Screenwriter
^IF they're all priced closely together, I'd most likely go w/ either the Marantz or Denon (though I'd much rather go w/ separates myself, but that of course costs significantly more)... ... ...

_Man_
Marantz would be the only name to go for... for starters who plays around with PRE-PRO setups. starting from the Cinema70S...
1b2ba7974fee26a4b698ee8e04773b389e2465ae.png

4db879e026e2904c8a6fc37adab5dc91157a974c.jpeg

螢幕擷取畫面 (280).png

...while Denon offers Auro3D starting from x3800H onwards.​

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks