What's new

speaker advice needed an appreciated... (1 Viewer)

diceman1000

Stunt Coordinator
Well, considering my geographical situation, new is my best bet.. so here's what i'm looking at.BIC DV bookshelves and matching centerPioneer AJ bookshelves and matching centerIf I go BIC, I can either upgrade to a BIC 8" sub or the matching surroundsIf I go Pioneer I can upgrade to a Dayton 12" sub or get better surrounds.The infinity stuff is a tad out of my budget...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm confused why you didn't take up Gene's offer on the Beta.With those, since you'd get to lower the crossover, the current subwoofer could catch a break "not being tasked to do more than it is capable of".Meaning...The current sub struggles to cover everything under 150. Once relegated to under 80, it would provably perform fine.Yes, taking 70hz out of its operation, improves its performance.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm a little confused by your last post Sam. Those BIC's are listed as playing a little deeper then the Beta 20's so he could still use an 8o hz crossover. But the Beta's would have been an excellent match for his Infinity 450 surrounds.I'm still drooling over those Kappa's.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I simply meant, any speaker capable of 80hz means the sub has less to. Less to do, the better it can perform...ergo, not need to be replaced.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Gotcha. So with either the Beta's or the BIC's replacing the current (Infinity) sub isn't as critical. But 30 hz is a lot better then 39 hz so I'd do it anyway :) . That Infinity sub has to be worth $50-$60. The whole TSS-450, maybe $100? On a good day?

I put the Beta's back in place. That little C250 center is very smooth. The 20's compare very nicely to my Paradigm Studio 20's V1. The Beta's are a bit softer on top end. Not a criticism, just a difference in philosophy. A bit more bass too. The cherry Beta's are also much better looking then those in ebony.

diceman1000

Stunt Coordinator
I appreciate all the advice guys and the offer of the Betas Gene, I wanted to try something completely different, and i've been itching to try the Dayton subs for a long time. Plus, the wife would prefer i went new, she's a stickler for warranties. I hope I didn't offend you by npt buying your Betas Gene, you folks have been the friendliest and most helpful people i've encountered on the home theater forums so far

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No issues There.We get "must buy new". Two perfectly valid reasons...We got one guy on here who won't buy used anything. I actually wonder if he's ever bought a pre-owned car.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"I hope I didn't offend you by npt buying your Betas Gene"

Of course not. My brother won't buy anything used either. Except a 1971 Corvette he bought from his boss 30 years ago. Nothing wrong with wanting a warranty and return priveledges, although I have accepted returns on a couple of things I sold on CL. I want to make friends, not trouble.

And a happy wife is more important then a nice deal on a some silly speakers! Or so I've heard...

diceman1000

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, she's a little upset with me anyway, the 62s are a little bigger than I though, lol. Speaking of which, what are some good quality, stable speaker stands? I have little ones and don't want them to pull them over on themselves.

diceman1000

Stunt Coordinator
Not yet, just ordered them yesterday. We were looking at ne TV stands and entertainment centers so I looked up the dimensions, much bigger than I thought they'd be...And no, I suck with wood, I'm a steel fabricator by trade.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I use 4-post plant stands like these for my larger bookshelve speakers. Bought them several years ago from a solid wood furniture store.
001.jpg

diceman1000

Stunt Coordinator
The wife and I talked, im gonna stay with a solid 5.1 setup so she can arrange her living room the way she wants. Gonna grab a set of Dayton B652's for surround duty:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks